I gotta say I'm flattered.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Why would it be wonderful? It removes incentive to do better, although the USSR was pretty successful in forcing people to do well.
From what I understand, and believe, that's what Heaven would be like. Everyone has their position/job, has what they need, are satisfied with that and there's no need for greed. Human greed makes that impossible here on earth, but the Star Trek universe does seem to have made it work..

But, YMMV.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
From what I understand, and believe, that's what Heaven would be like. Everyone has their position/job, has what they need, are satisfied with that and there's no need for greed.

But, YMMV.
There's never a NEED for greed, only lust for it. So far, no human-designed Utopia has worked.

I think it would only work if people could never become bored with what they do, where they live and what they have.

VonMagnum

VonMagnum

Audioholic Chief
It would require people to be very moral and upstanding, care about their work and not hate their job (just because you're good at something doesn't mean you enjoy it).

It'll never happen because people are more or less self centered, greedy and immoral. Those that don't want to work create problems and you have to either coddle them (which others resent having to work more so others don't work at all) or make the less moral choice to let them starve to death or equivalent. There is zero incentive to work hard as you get no more for it than doing the bare minimum. Meanwhile, the leaders never live like the commoners (hypocrites).

The only possible solution is a modified model based on both government owned robot labor and a bare minimum of living standards with an incentive to work harder based on increasing living standards for work and achievement. The system would still be abused by criminals, etc., but it may be the only system that has a chance in hell of working as robots take over most manual labor jobs.

Otherwise, most of the population will starve to death and/or revolt and go after the top 1% or less that own everything.. Even if the top like that idea (the world being increasingly over populated), you'd eventually have a break down like in the Time Machine where the pampered have no idea how anything works and then would either end up in the stone age again or taken advantage of by those that do know how the tec works (whether Morlocks or AI robots, the latter of which might conclude they're better off without humans like in the recent Orville episodes).

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
OK, this is starting to veer off in a political direction and that's never good. Let's move on, shall we?

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
OK, this is starting to veer off in a political direction and that's never good. Let's move on, shall we?
I think it's more about human nature but maybe, if we weren't so 'thinky', it could happen.

I'm pretty sure this all started when Og told Og Jr to clean the cave and Jr asked "Why?".

GrimSurfer

GrimSurfer

Senior Audioholic
I think it's more about human nature but maybe, if we weren't so 'thinky', it could happen.

I'm pretty sure this all started when Og told Og Jr to clean the cave and Jr asked "Why?".
You raise a very good point. Forums such as these bring a diverse group together. The generational issue is a factor -- and one that is accentuated when the problem children start operating in a world where their lack of knowledge or critical thinking doesn't automatically earn them accolades.

You see this play out when peoples' deep held beliefs are seriously challenged by science or logic. They feel threatened to the core. Lacking in the critical thinking skills to move forward, they retrench into their own reality, which isolates them further.

They soon stop participating in group discourse because, frankly, it frightens them. They soon start sniping from the sidelines in ways that minimize their exposure to belief system challenges.

This is similar the terrorist/extremist who is typically young (~25 or younger),socially displaced (2nd generation with traditional values at home and progressive ones in society),sometimes afflicted by mental or substance abuse problems (very, very common),and willing to employ extraordinary means (outside of prevailing rules of the societies within which they reside)) in the hope of reestablishing control.

If we deny them that control, then they simply have no power. Granted they will cause a mess along the way, but they will go away... either literally (leave) or figuratively (change accounts/identities).

So the sniping from the bushes or changing accounts is a good thing in a way... it signals that they are on a path to irrelevance.

That's why I love getting sniped at from guys like Out Of Phase. It's a sign that they have no control and are on the path to "losing it".

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Not to mention crazy ... I wanna know more about the robots!
My job blows and I want robots!
Yeah, I got yer number, buddy.

sex robot..jpg

Hey, you wanna talk about a job that blows? Ask her. :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis