I bid you all farewell...

itschris

itschris

You lost me when you started the... "hey I know I bother some of you with my bragging, but I'm about to brag in this post and if you don't like it you can f yourself" rants. I've been here for several years now and don't remember any member wholesale treating other members that way.

I hate to see any member go, especially someone active and who likes to postivitely contribute. I'm certainly not going to beg you stay and I'll trust that this wasn't a fishing expedition for that purpose like some have done in the past, so I take you at your word. You've earned that. Rather than making the big announcement, why don't you just take a break? I think everyone involved is just a little bit butt-hurt about it all. I've dropped off the site in the past for different stretches for various reasons. It changes perspectives. At least think about it.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Why can't we all get along?

But seriously the forum life reminds me of a the reason the VP of my department made his resolution for the year. He vowed to make an effort to minimize email and texting in his daily work day. He believes that most people are overly bold and outspoken and confident when hiding behind a key board or smart phone. He said he has no time for those weak people to tie up his valuable time. Let them be bold in person and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:
haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
There's one thing all successful people do have in common, they don't give up :p
Hope to see you around :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Why can't we all get along?

But seriously the forum life reminds me of a the reason the VP of my department made his resolution for the year. He vowed to make an effort to minimize email and texting in his daily work day. He believes that most people are overly bold and outspoken and confident when hiding behind a key board or smart phone. He said he has no time for those weak people to tie up his valuable time. Let them be bold in person and see what happens.
What about those people who are timid and meek in electronic correspondence but a raging monster in person? What does your VP say about that?

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
What about those people who are timid and meek in electronic correspondence but a raging monster in person? What does your VP say about that?
Never encountered one. They must exist though. To find one would be like stumbling upon a unicorn in the forest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
This thread reminds me of when people make the advanced announcement, "I'm going to kill myself... goodbye cruel world."

They aren't really going to do it; it's simply a cry for attention. "Someone please beg me not to do it." :D

My $0.02 - Learn the differences between: Self Confidence, Egocentricity, and Narcissism.

I hate to see anyone quit.
The OP has much to offer, and hopefully learn a life lesson along the way.... as we all eventually do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe he was pulling a Jamie (yes, I get the double meaning), but I saw it another way. I've left twice for extended periods of time - no warning, no lingering, no checking on the forum until I decided to come back. There's downsides to that, in that people wonder what in the heck happened. Irv was just being upfront and letting folks know, IMO. And, hey, if the responses changed his mind - I'll be glad. I like having him around. No, I don't like everything that he says :), but I don't need to. I can put on my big boy pants, have a beer...and power cry right past it. :D

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
I'd be more offended if I hadn't snacked on baby food and toddler treats yesterday. :eek: :D

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
This thread reminds me of when people make the advanced announcement, "I'm going to kill myself... goodbye cruel world."

They aren't really going to do it; it's simply a cry for attention. "Someone please beg me not to do it." :D

My $0.02 - Learn the differences between: Self Confidence, Egocentricity, and Narcissism.

I hate to see anyone quit.
The OP has much to offer, and hopefully learn a life lesson along the way.... as we all eventually do.
I don't get that feeling at all. I think Irv was kind of stung by some of the member comments, made in his original thread about being pulled over and harassed; which he was. He expected universal support but a few members questioned his attitude and it spiraled downward from there. Upon reflection he decided to bag it here at the site and bow out. Will it last? I don't think so. He truly loves the hobby and wont be able to resist throwing in his 2 cents worth, like the rest of us.

BTW I'm offended by some people here who are throwing their 5 cents worth in some posts, instead of 2. Is there advice more valuable than mine?
I'm outraged!!! :eek::D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I can put on my big boy pants, have a beer...and power cry right past it. :D
I picture it with that song, "It's Raining Men" blasting on your stereo :D
Incidentally, I know you were upset back then and agree Doug should have told you he was married and not led you on.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
You couldn't have bailed off the site before you talked me into spending $1,500 on speakers I didn't really need?!?!? :mad:

Sorry to see you go but I will say that I think it's pretty silly when people announce they're leaving the site. We're not going to beg you to stay if that's what you're hoping for.

Best of luck to you though.

E

English210

Audioholic
Well I hate to read this. As a relative newbie here, I haven't learned everyone's personality, and what might set them off, or who can take it, etc. I was in one of the threads that got under his skin, and I see his point, but still, I hate to see a (generally) positive and active member leave. Hopefully he'll check back in....good luck with the build!! But does it have to be a Hardly Ableson?? :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Maybe he was pulling a Jamie (yes, I get the double meaning), but I saw it another way. I've left twice for extended periods of time - no warning, no lingering, no checking on the forum until I decided to come back. There's downsides to that, in that people wonder what in the heck happened. Irv was just being upfront and letting folks know, IMO. And, hey, if the responses changed his mind - I'll be glad. I like having him around. No, I don't like everything that he says :), but I don't need to. I can put on my big boy pants, have a beer...and power cry right past it. :D
I've gone on hiatus for a while too, but everything gets boring after a while and you come back. When you're a Audioholic, you always come back :)

itschris

itschris

I don't get that feeling at all. I think Irv was kind of stung by some of the member comments, made in his original thread about being pulled over and harassed; which he was. He expected universal support but a few members questioned his attitude and it spiraled downward from there. Upon reflection he decided to bag it here at the site and bow out. Will it last? I don't think so. He truly loves the hobby and wont be able to resist throwing in his 2 cents worth, like the rest of us.

That post was more of the "last straw" for some. You nailed it, however: He expected universal support. The problem is, the way he often felt the need to directly or indirectly let everyone know or try to give the impression that he was this or that rubbed some people the wrong way. Personally, I tried to ignore his posts. It seemed if someone was talking about anything, he'd chime in with a genuine reply, but would always manage to slip in that he's been there, done that, or "oh... you just got one? I have 57 of those." It was that sort of stuff that painted a picture of his personality. So when he tells this story... and of course there was the entire wife aspect... indisputable as fact of course... some people could clearly see that the entire thing may have went down differently given his "type" if you will.

I'm sure it was quite a shock that someone would question him in any way. His aggressiveness in defending himself was telling. I think he was genuinely surprised that some people had this impression. I think he thought of himself as some Grand Dame of Audioholics that we all looked up to in some way. At least that's impression that I and others often got which is why I sort of chose to ignore him. But what do people like that do when they find themselves in that sort of situation? They attack. And that all led to his new way of posting... For those of you who don't like me... f off."

I spoke to him offline when he started that... he never replied to me. That's fine too. Like I once told my daughter when she was sixteen and had her one and only "test the water moment" -

I said, "Hey you can act however you want. I honestly cannot prevent you from being rude or disrespectable or force you to appreciate anything we do for you. You're right...you don't have to do anything and I really can't make you. But understand this... there is a flipside to all of that. I don't have to do jack sh*t for you either. Car, cellphone, internet, tv, cable... all of it... just ended for you."

The point is... you can behave anyway you want, but just understand... others may behave back in kind. I think that was too much of an ego punch for him. Que the Grand Exit.

Hopefully he'll be back some day. We'll see. I've dropped out of sight at different times for different things and I'm always back. I just never felt the need to make the "big announcement." I have a feeling he'll be back for better or worse reasons. He has a lot to offer so I hope it's sooner rather than later.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
You're reading way too deep into this. Let's look at the facts:

He announced that he has a business trip to my area

He remembered that he is a little scrawny, broke guy but he told all of us he was big and rich

He was afraid to face me

done

That post was more of the "last straw" for some. You nailed it, however: He expected universal support. The problem is, the way he often felt the need to directly or indirectly let everyone know or try to give the impression that he was this or that rubbed some people the wrong way. Personally, I tried to ignore his posts. It seemed if someone was talking about anything, he'd chime in with a genuine reply, but would always manage to slip in that he's been there, done that, or "oh... you just got one? I have 57 of those." It was that sort of stuff that painted a picture of his personality. So when he tells this story... and of course there was the entire wife aspect... indisputable as fact of course... some people could clearly see that the entire thing may have went down differently given his "type" if you will.

I'm sure it was quite a shock that someone would question him in any way. His aggressiveness in defending himself was telling. I think he was genuinely surprised that some people had this impression. I think he thought of himself as some Grand Dame of Audioholics that we all looked up to in some way. At least that's impression that I and others often got which is why I sort of chose to ignore him. But what do people like that do when they find themselves in that sort of situation? They attack. And that all led to his new way of posting... For those of you who don't like me... f off."

I spoke to him offline when he started that... he never replied to me. That's fine too. Like I once told my daughter when she was sixteen and had her one and only "test the water moment" -

I said, "Hey you can act however you want. I honestly cannot prevent you from being rude or disrespectable or force you to appreciate anything we do for you. You're right...you don't have to do anything and I really can't make you. But understand this... there is a flipside to all of that. I don't have to do jack sh*t for you either. Car, cellphone, internet, tv, cable... all of it... just ended for you."

The point is... you can behave anyway you want, but just understand... others may behave back in kind. I think that was too much of an ego punch for him. Que the Grand Exit.

Hopefully he'll be back some day. We'll see. I've dropped out of sight at different times for different things and I'm always back. I just never felt the need to make the "big announcement." I have a feeling he'll be back for better or worse reasons. He has a lot to offer so I hope it's sooner rather than later.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis