I’m in the hospital

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I have been off line all of Nov & probably a good part of October. So I missed all the fun.

I have lung cancer. Specifically, non-small cell adenocarcinoma. I never smoked. It’s very aggressive. It hit me like a freight train.

It also has already gone metastatic . It’s spread to my liver and brain, among other sites.

Until about five years ago such a diagnosis was a death sentence. I may be luckier than that. There are some very new medications that target a specific mutation borne in these types of tumors. It turns out my lung cancer has one of these mutations. For a bit over a week now I’ve been taking a drug called Selpercatinib — better known in my family as Super Catnip.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
This new drug is effective on the primary tumor in my lung as well as any metastatic site including brain.

I have taken it for over week. No ugly chemotherapy side effects. So far only TLS Guy and Dan (my brother) know. Now every Steam Vent reader knows.

Last edited:
Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
As soon as I figure out how to post pictures I have, I can say more.

I feel extremely lucky.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
This new drug is effective on the primary tumor in my lung as well as any metastatic site including brain.

I have taken it for over week. No ugly chemotherapy side effects. So far only TLS Guy and Dan (my brother) know. Now every Steam Vent reader knows.
I feel like I was just kicked in the stomach - so I can only imagine how it was for you to receive this diagnosis. :eek: I pray that this "supercatnip" does the trick for you.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I feel like I was just kicked in the stomach - so I can only imagine how it was for you to receive this diagnosis. :eek: I pray that this "supercatnip" does the trick for you.
Thanks for the sympathy.

I have a lot more to say about Super Catnip. You know me well enough to expect me to turn it into an educational moment.

In short, instead of months to live, I might get years. It’s too soon to know for certain. Besides, I definitely want to vote in Nov 2024.

Rosy-eyed optimism helps — worrying does not .

J

Jeepers

Full Audioholic
I am sure we are all dealing with the shock of your news. I sincerely hope the medication will do the trick resulting in you getting many more years.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Wow. I am so glad that you have such a positive attitude and path forward. My thoughts are with you and I hope you don't have to stay in the hospital too long.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Yikes, may your faith, positive outlook and the power of modern medicine get you through this !

Tankini

Tankini

Full Audioholic
I have been off line all of Nov & probably a good part of October. So I missed all the fun.

I have lung cancer. Specifically, non-small cell adenocarcinoma. I never smoked. It’s very aggressive. It hit me like a freight train.

It also has already gone metastatic . It’s spread to my liver and brain, among other sites.

Until about five years ago such a diagnosis was a death sentence. I may be luckier than that. There are some very new medications that target a specific mutation borne in these types of tumors. It turns out my lung cancer has one of these mutations. For a bit over a week now I’ve been taking a drug called Selpercatinib — better known in my family as Super Catnip.
Ohh my god! @Swerd! I sure hope and pray for a speedy recovery. You are a very Valued member here on AH/Family/Friend.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
You’ll beat this thing, just keep those spirits up and keep taking your super catnip!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I literally just asked myself where you’ve been, @Swerd . Not the answer I would ever hope to read. I was more hoping it involved the Tropics and Tiki drinks.
:eek:
Keep fighting the fight. My thoughts and wishes for your health are with you!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It's so dumb that people who make smart choices and take care of themselves still get hammered with things like this, while others constantly tempt fate and live consequence-free lives. I am going to take up chain smoking since that seems to be the best prevention of lung cancer.

Get better, Swerd!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Man this sucks to hear. 2023 has been a year of a lot of punches. This just sucks.

Keep us posted. We're all here for whatever you need.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks for all the replies. They make me glad I posted about this.

@shadyJ
If you chain smoke to prevent cancer, remember to put them in your mouth backwards when you light up.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It's so dumb that people who make smart choices and take care of themselves still get hammered with things like this, while others constantly tempt fate and live consequence-free lives. I am going to take up chain smoking since that seems to be the best prevention of lung cancer.

Get better, Swerd!
While you're at it, don't forget to put down half a bottle of Jack or Crown a night! :p

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks for all the replies. They make me glad I posted about this.

@shadyJ
If you chain smoke to prevent cancer, remember to put them in your mouth backwards when you light up.
I hear burning them filter first is super effective.
Best yet, get some Pall Mall Filtered and just rip the filter off! Been curious to know if that human brown eye is still alive. For every comment about optimism keeping one healthy, it's the irrepressible curmudgeons that seem to live longest.
I think I'll start now, even though this isn't my thread:

Get off my lawn, you d@mn fluffy bunnies! No cute allowed!

Nah.
On second thought, @Swerd , don't change a thing. Other than getting rid of those unwanted passengers. ;)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I want to post a link to a web page. How do I do that? I found this

What do I do next?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I want to post a link to a web page. How do I do that?
Copy and paste the URL. Or add it as a link to some text by using the "chain link" icon in the tool bar above your post.
This is the Hyperlink icon:
1701107846989.png

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis