Hsu Research VTF-TN1 Subwoofer Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
TN1 6.jpg
Hsu Research gained a lot of attention recently when they announced a new subwoofer, the VTF-TN1. One of the reasons for that is that even though they are popularly known for their subwoofers, Hsu Research hasn’t actually released a new sub in quite a while, about 7 years (their last new sub release was the now sadly discontinued VTF-1 mk3). So it’s a big deal when Hsu Research, the original manufacture-direct subwoofer company and still a major player in home audio subs and speakers, announces a new release. Audio enthusiasts know to pay attention. The VTF-TN1 replaces Hsu Research’s previous flagship sub, the VTF-15h MKII. It has a lot in common with the former flagship, but it makes one big change that simultaneously enables greater performance yet lowers the pricing. This is what we will explore in today’s review of the VTF-TN1; how important enclosure and ports are to subwoofer performance. This is a sub that tries to give the user high performance at a low cost without skimping on the usual slate of features and post-purchase support that buyers in this segment have come to expect. We will be asking how the VTF-TN1 fares in such a highly competitive marketplace and what are its strengths and weaknesses as such a unique design in the subwoofer world.

READ: Hsu Research VTF-TN1 Subwoofer Review

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kini

Full Audioholic
Thanks for another excellent review. Seems like a very nice sub for the money.

U

Uncle_Big_Green

Audioholic Intern
I said to myself earlier this morning "maybe Audioholics will have the new Hsu review posted today." :cool:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What an excellent review Shady!

Those numbers are STELLAR for a sub at that price point!!!!

I wish these subs were out when I had been buying I would most likely have gone with these over my Rythmik FV18's

Don't get me wrong I LOVE my FV 18's. But hauling 4 160 lb behomeths up 2 flights of stairs and then being limited on floor space due to their size would have made these HSU a very appealing choice.

In my room the taller form and the striking satin black finish would have gone very well with my RBH setup

Not only that the output is so impressive

Yes my FV 18's have WAY more output from 16 to 25hz and they do extend a bit deeper 16hz tune all ports open and 12.5 hz tune one plugged

BUT The Rythmik have a WAY way bigger driver bigger cabinet and more powerful amp. Plus for the money which is a LOT more expensive youd better be able to do that

BUT from 30hz on up the HSU match the Rythmik. That's incredible. And the deep bass of the HSU since I only care about 16hz I'm not chasing deeper infrasonics is still amazing for the price. And here's the kicker. I'm using 4 subs in my room so when you combine the output of 4 HSU plus room gain they will give me all the output I would need in the deep infrasonics

Plus bottom firing ports in that room combine with my suspended wooden upstairs floor in that room in a way that just sounds amazing and gives me a ton of natural tactile that just sounds incredible it's the only thing I miss about my RBH 1212PR over the Rythmik is how the bottom firing ports of the RBH interacted with that room.

Not to mention.I have so much sick infrasonics from the Rythmik that it's literally too much. It's my only complaint is that they perform too well Lol. Right now I'm having to buy some taffy to tighten down an already well installed projector screen in that room because once the Rythmik hit the DEEP notes it's making my bottom sides of the screen edges flap hard in that room and it's distracting. Plus I have some other rattles I have to hunt down now. It can be distracting when the infrasonics of my Rythmik are so much they overwhelm the structure of my room like that and get even the wood framing in the room to start rattling. Not to mention at reference or close to it that level of infrasonics can get uncomfortable physically.

I could sell all 4 of these Rythmiks and buy 4 of these HSU and be very happy more then happy with the performance both in deep infrasonics and midbass and still have a TON of extra cash left over in my back pocket. I have extra floor space and deal with less weight

Man you've given me a TON to think about here Shady because these measurements on these HSU subs are that GOOD.

Not to mention they have a way longer warranty on their amplifiers

Bravo what an outstanding review @shadyJ job well done!

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
@shadyJ do you know if HSU offers discounts on multiple sets of these? Or would I be better to contact him directly

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Happy to see the review! The size/shape of the cabinet is an absolute winner for me, but I can't tell from the numbers if I'd be happier with 4 VTF-TN1s or if I should just keep my 2 PB-3000s.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@shadyJ do you know if HSU offers discounts on multiple sets of these? Or would I be better to contact him directly
IF they did offer a package discount, I don't imagine it would be a very big discount since the pricing is already so aggressive. And yes, you would have to contact Hsu Research to see if they could offer a deal like that.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Happy to see the review! The size/shape of the cabinet is an absolute winner for me, but I can't tell from the numbers if I'd be happier with 4 VTF-TN1s or if I should just keep my 2 PB-3000s.
Two PB-3000s is a pretty killer sound system. Four VTF-TN1s would certainly be higher performing, but are you really reaching the limits of two PB-3000s? That would be pretty loud.

Bobby Bass

Bobby Bass

Audioholic Chief
Thanks for the review. Looks like another awesome sub from a direct to consumer manufacturer which helps keep the price down. Just bought a RSL Speedwoofer 10E which is not in the same league but within my budget. I saw your initial posting when it was released in March but didn't see a full review. Am I missing it or is your review forthcoming.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for the review. Looks like another awesome sub from a direct to consumer manufacturer which helps keep the price down. Just bought a RSL Speedwoofer 10E which is not in the same league but within my budget. I saw your initial posting when it was released in March but didn't see a full review. Am I missing it or is your review forthcoming.
The Speedwoofer 10E review will be coming soon, not much longer now.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Two PB-3000s is a pretty killer sound system. Four VTF-TN1s would certainly be higher performing, but are you really reaching the limits of two PB-3000s? That would be pretty loud.
My room has an irregular layout and, due to the limitations on placement, suffers from some dead spots. My assumption would be that 4 HSUs would help negate that. It also would give me a reason to upgrade speakers!

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Thanks for the review @shadyJ . I don't know why it took so long to get published, but as usual you did a good job. Now I have another Sub to lust after.

Dam lottery just needs to pay off! ;)

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Thanks Shady for a really informative review. I can imagine these will sell well now. Could not be happier for a ID company to get great measurements.

S

Sam6string

Audiophyte
Hsu Research gained a lot of attention recently when they announced a new subwoofer, the VTF-TN1. One of the reasons for that is that even though they are popularly known for their subwoofers, Hsu Research hasn’t actually released a new sub in quite a while, about 7 years (their last new sub release was the now sadly discontinued VTF-1 mk3). So it’s a big deal when Hsu Research, the original manufacture-direct subwoofer company and still a major player in home audio subs and speakers, announces a new release. Audio enthusiasts know to pay attention. The VTF-TN1 replaces Hsu Research’s previous flagship sub, the VTF-15h MKII. It has a lot in common with the former flagship, but it makes one big change that simultaneously enables greater performance yet lowers the pricing. This is what we will explore in today’s review of the VTF-TN1; how important enclosure and ports are to subwoofer performance. This is a sub that tries to give the user high performance at a low cost without skimping on the usual slate of features and post-purchase support that buyers in this segment have come to expect. We will be asking how the VTF-TN1 fares in such a highly competitive marketplace and what are its strengths and weaknesses as such a unique design in the subwoofer world.

READ: Hsu Research VTF-TN1 Subwoofer Review
I can attest to the quality of their customer service…Dr Hsu himself answered the phone when I called.

T

TimeGoddess

Audiophyte
How does this compare to the Klipsch Rp-1600SW at 899$ with free shipping

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
How does this compare to the Klipsch Rp-1600SW at 899$ with free shipping
The RP-1600SW is a more powerful sub overall, but the VTF-TN1 does dig deeper and has better behaved ports at the low end.

C

chrisyou13

Audiophyte
I have an old REL R-328 that has died for the second time, so probably better to replace than fix again. What do you think would be better performance, one VTF-TN1 or two RSL Speedwoofer 12S? Not completely apples-to-apples cost, but close-ish if you consider shipping. This is for a large great room with a wide sitting area. I have never tried two subs, but assume there would be benefits to balance out the bass.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis