Hsu Research VTF-TN1 Subwoofer Review

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I have an old REL R-328 that has died for the second time, so probably better to replace than fix again. What do you think would be better performance, one VTF-TN1 or two RSL Speedwoofer 12S? Not completely apples-to-apples cost, but close-ish if you consider shipping. This is for a large great room with a wide sitting area. I have never tried two subs, but assume there would be benefits to balance out the bass.
Could you if possible give us the actual room dimensions? Length x Width x Height

Also is the room open to other areas of the house or is it closed off both these variables are needed to help us give a good recommendation

C

chrisyou13

Audiophyte
I will try to give some of the key dimensions (not the easiest to describe), great room 33' long x 24' wide x 8' high. Very open, L/R speakers (B&W CM9) are in the corners of the 24' wall, TV and center speaker are centered on the left 2/3 of the same wall, the remaining third is a fireplace. Opposite that is mostly kitchen with a hallway to the rest of the house. On the right 33' is mostly window and slider with the kitchen kitchen island, on the left is an office / den basically next to the viewing area with the hallway behind. Also a 4' x 8' skylight basically in the middle. Wood floors with an area rug in the TV sitting area. I do have to consider WAF, but may go the ask for forgiveness route. Thanks!

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
I will try to give some of the key dimensions (not the easiest to describe), great room 33' long x 24' wide x 8' high. Very open, L/R speakers (B&W CM9) are in the corners of the 24' wall, TV and center speaker are centered on the left 2/3 of the same wall, the remaining third is a fireplace. Opposite that is mostly kitchen with a hallway to the rest of the house. On the right 33' is mostly window and slider with the kitchen kitchen island, on the left is an office / den basically next to the viewing area with the hallway behind. Also a 4' x 8' skylight basically in the middle. Wood floors with an area rug in the TV sitting area. I do have to consider WAF, but may go the ask for forgiveness route. Thanks!
A sketch with photos would help!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
This is great thanks! Honestly that's a massive space! I wouldn't consider anything less then the HSU VTF TN1

And that's at a minimum. The HSU actually looks pretty nice and they don't take up a ton of space like subs that aren't going for height like they are. They extend into infrasonics just as much as the RSL and they put out more output 30hz and above. And your going to want that 30hz and above punch in that room.

The HSU put out as much punch at about 40hz and above as my Rythmik FV18's and they put out a lot

If I were you I would buy the HSU now and save up a bit more and buy a second one later

The general rule of thumb in a room as big as that is buy the biggest and baddest and best sub your budget allows and then save up and down the round add a second one of the exact same sub later if you need to

C

chrisyou13

Audiophyte
Thanks for the advice. What is your view on the best placement of the second sub? The first one is usually in the front left of the room near the left speaker, should the second one be on the right near the other speaker to balance the bass? Based on the current setup, albeit a smaller sealed sub, you get less punch as you move away from the sub.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have an old REL R-328 that has died for the second time, so probably better to replace than fix again. What do you think would be better performance, one VTF-TN1 or two RSL Speedwoofer 12S? Not completely apples-to-apples cost, but close-ish if you consider shipping. This is for a large great room with a wide sitting area. I have never tried two subs, but assume there would be benefits to balance out the bass.
The very short answer to this question is two 12s.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I'd start off by swapping the locations of your right speaker and that air filter.

If you're concerned about having more even bass coverage over several listening spots then two subs is the way to go. If you mainly listen from one spot I'd get the HSU. There's no real way to suggest where best sub placement is for you. Ideally you should do the sub crawl to find out where are some spots that provide good response at your listening position. If you buy one sub, put it in the best spot you found. If you buy two, (usually, but not always) put them in the two best spots you found.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the advice. What is your view on the best placement of the second sub? The first one is usually in the front left of the room near the left speaker, should the second one be on the right near the other speaker to balance the bass? Based on the current setup, albeit a smaller sealed sub, you get less punch as you move away from the sub.
The only way to really know is to experiment with placement. Subs are so finicky to room placement. That's how those bass frequencies operate tho. By the time they hit your seated position they've been colliding with everything in the room including each other

The only way to know if that spot is the best place for how those bass frequencies hit your position is to just experiment on placement. That one spot on the right might work out great it might not. Their is no way to tell until you try

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Curious. Is the right front speaker way over by the window,

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The only way to really know is to experiment with placement. Subs are so finicky to room placement.
+1 this. So many people are concerned with what subwoofer brand sounds the best, but this is so misguided. The room plays a far greater role in bass sound quality than subwoofer brand. People will spend thousands for a subwoofer that they think might lead to some kind of sound quality increase, but then then they just slap the sub in the corner of the room. Next to the acoustics of the room, the subwoofer's own sound almost doesn't matter at all.

C

chrisyou13

Audiophyte
Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback!
Just to address some of the comments, yes the right speaker is in the right corner. This is not ideal, but it has worked as the best compromise. I have tried it with where the fan is, the fan is temporary but also draws complaints, this location is usually better for watching TV/movies, but is a little lacking for music. Thus it has lived most of its life in that corner. I will try it again with a new sub and see how it all works out, hopefully ideal sound gets the approval of others in the house.
Also, I have only run a 3.1 system. Furniture get's rearranged so determining the best spot for 2+ more speakers is difficult, not to mention running wires.
I just upgraded to the Onkyo TX-RZ70 so will be running room correction soon for the first time to see if that improves anything.
Appreciate any other suggestions. Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis