Long time lurker need subwoofer guidance!

S

Schroedernd

Enthusiast
My current setup is nothing fancy but it works for us. Denon x4300h receiver with Mythos 10 LCR and mythos gem xl for the rears. I'm rocking a 20 year old Polk Psw650 dual 10" sub I used in my military dorms a long time ago. The thing just won't die. Anyways, I need some bass as in my current home with vaulted ceilings it ain't cutting it. I found a local deal on a 1 year old PC-4000 I was about to pull the trigger on, but for the same price as the new hsu VTF-TN1, I'm in a conundrum. Single sub is all I want. We are 80/20% movies/music. My living room is quite large and open. Any thoughts between the 2? I know the hsu isn't out yet but figure it's got a little better output then the VTF-15h.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Generally speaking, I would expect the SVS PC-4000 to have greater performance at 25Hz and below. Maybe similar performance from 30 to 40Hz, and a small advantage for the TN1 at 50Hz and above. This is just speculation based on available performance measurements, however. I think you would be pretty happy with either one.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
IMO, the best money here is on the HSU. I haven’t used one, but I’ve seen lots of reports that the pc4k just doesn’t have any finesse. The 3k is the best value from svs imo. And, the pc is almost twice as much. I know you want one, but a pair of the new HSU for almost half is an absolute no brainer. I think the rsl 12s might be in the ballpark too, but there are inconsistent measurements so can’t say for .

S

Schroedernd

Enthusiast
IMO, the best money here is on the HSU. I haven’t used one, but I’ve seen lots of reports that the pc4k just doesn’t have any finesse. The 3k is the best value from svs imo. And, the pc is almost twice as much. I know you want one, but a pair of the new HSU for almost half is an absolute no brainer. I think the rsl 12s might be in the ballpark too, but there are inconsistent measurements so can’t say for .
The pc-4000 is used and would cost the same as the new hsu shipped. That's where the dilemma is.

S

Schroedernd

Enthusiast
Generally speaking, I would expect the SVS PC-4000 to have greater performance at 25Hz and below. Maybe similar performance from 30 to 40Hz, and a small advantage for the TN1 at 50Hz and above. This is just speculation based on available performance measurements, however. I think you would be pretty happy with either one.
If I could extend my budget a bit, would going to a psa tv15 or tv18 be a huge upgrade over either?

S

Schroedernd

Enthusiast
This all for a single sub or multiple eventually?
Talking to the wife tonight (I'm out of town) and having her take some measurements, I could swing the pc4000 in one corner and in the future get either a pc-2000 or pb model sub where the current one is and run doubles. The dimensions of the psa tv13m won't work unless I get the TV1813 model which is taller. In the case of that sub I'd only ever get a single.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Whatever your second sub choice would be you would want it to be another ported sub. I had the PC4000 and it put out plenty of clean bass for the money. It also received good reviews. And Audioholics review of its little brother was good too. https://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/svs-pc2000-subwoofer.

I have yet to find any professional third party review of any PSA sub that presents outdoor CEA-2010 measurements. There a lots of current owners of PSA subs that like them. But quite often owners want to like what they bought. It is called confirmation bias. Reviewers don’t have that bias.

S

Schroedernd

Enthusiast
So I have the approval for doubles as long as they fit the wife approved areas. Options are 2 of the new hsu vtf-tn1 or a used pc-4000 and later add a pb-3000. Thoughts?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
To me, a new pair of “shoes”(HSU) is easy money. The pb4k and 3k are very different and mixing them would likely be tricky. At least the shoes would match each others port tuning and phase response.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
So I have the approval for doubles as long as they fit the wife approved areas. Options are 2 of the new hsu vtf-tn1 or a used pc-4000 and later add a pb-3000. Thoughts?
As william said above it is easier to “calibrate and match” subs if they are identical. You could buy the two HSUs new or the used PC-4000 and later on another PC-4000. They are cylindrical so they will stick up more in your rooms than the smaller boxes of the HSUs.

But above in post #2, this website’s principal speaker reviewer, shadyj, advised that the 4000 would have more output in the lower regions than the HSUs you were looking at. So you will likely be happy with the bass sound of either of your choices.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
As william said above it is easier to “calibrate and match” subs if they are identical. You could buy the two HSUs new or the used PC-4000 and later on another PC-4000. They are cylindrical so they will stick up more in your rooms than the smaller boxes of the HSUs.

But above in post #2, this website’s principal speaker reviewer, shadyj, advised that the 4000 would have more output in the lower regions than the HSUs you were looking at. So you will likely be happy with the bass sound of either of your choices.
Shady did also say he was speculating. I just happened to watch the video James and Gene made talking about this new HSU. Looking at the graphs etc, I think the HSU might perform better all the way down to 14hz. IMO a pair would be fantastic. I also think they’ll have a little better fidelity, but that’s also speculation. Either way will be a massive upgrade though!!!!!

S

Schroedernd

Enthusiast
Everything has me leaning towards the hsu, but the stupid svs app I played with was awesome. One issue is one sub will be against a back wall that backs up to our master bedroom where my wife goes to bed early. With the svs app it takes 2 seconds to just turn that sub down individually.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Everything has me leaning towards the hsu, but the stupid svs app I played with was awesome. One issue is one sub will be against a back wall that backs up to our master bedroom where my wife goes to bed early. With the svs app it takes 2 seconds to just turn that sub down individually.
If you decide to go with SVS then your app desire is solved. You also get really great customer service and lifetime tech support questions.

If you decide to go with HSU you could just shut off the sub next to your wife’s wall by using this WiFi smart surge suppressor from Elac.

It also has an app and lets you program outlets.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You can use the AVR to knock down the LFE level, it does the same thing.

S

Schroedernd

Enthusiast
Dual hsu ordered! I really wanted the pc-4000 but by the time I add a pb-3000 or 4000 I'm up in price more then I want to spend. This isn't a dedicated theater, just a family room so I'm hoping it beats the 20 year old Polk psw650 dual 10 I've been running!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dual hsu ordered! I really wanted the pc-4000 but by the time I add a pb-3000 or 4000 I'm up in price more then I want to spend. This isn't a dedicated theater, just a family room so I'm hoping it beats the 20 year old Polk psw650 dual 10 I've been running!
Nice, new pair of shoes for daddy...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis