Hsu Research VTF-2 mk5 Subwoofer Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
OK. Thank you both for your responses. I still don't understand why the PC2000 did not get a Bass Extension score of 5. So it is a value score for performance? That is odd, since there is a value category, but it's helpful to know. At this point, this sub is almost the same price as the PB2000 and the PC2000. Considering the state of affairs, would they be rated equally. I am trying to chose between these and SVS offers better support and more piece of mind, but the sound is what counts.

Are these all really on par with each other?
The 2000 subs were $800, but the VTF-2 is $600. The extension isn't what really separates these subs, in my view. The real difference is that the VTF-2 has considerably more mid-bass output but the PC-2000/PB-2000 has an easier time in deep bass in that it exhibits less distortion. The choice is more between harder-hitting midbass or squeaky clean deep bass, although the PC-2000/PB-2000's mid-bass is good, and the VTF-2's deep bass distortion levels are also good too.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It’s been discussed before, too, that the stellar SVS Customer Service and their Bill of Rights adds to the cost of every product sold. That they are willing to give 45 days of in-home audition and pay shipping both ways is awesome, but not without some consequence: that they are so certain of their product is admirable. Yet people do still return things.
It would be interesting to see their metrics on shipping costs (one way), return shipping, as well as upgrades. They are obviously doing something right at SVS.

They are also doing many things right at Hsu!

:)

E

esumsea

Audiophyte
Thank you both for your responses. I understand now the reasoning. While the VTF-2 is $600 you have to pay for shipping and a warranty extension (I have read at least 4 reports of their amps failing while I have not read one complaining of a dead SVS sub. I know Hsu has been around longer, so perhaps that is why. In the end it is about $20 to $30 less than the PC or PB2000.

I realize there are added costs to SVS. But there is a value to that as well. But we are now comparing two subs that basically cost the same and they perform very evenly. I don't see where Hsu has such a clear advantage that it warrants taking the risk. Only at 80 Hz is the VTF-2 significantly louder than the PC (3.5 dB). I do like mid bass though. Tough Choice I will have to make soon. I am leaning towards ordering the SVS PC2000 and only trying the Hsu if I feel I am missing something. For some reason I think I am trying to convince myself to buy the Hsu.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thank you both for your responses. I understand now the reasoning. While the VTF-2 is $600 you have to pay for shipping and a warranty extension (I have read at least 4 reports of their amps failing while I have not read one complaining of a dead SVS sub. I know Hsu has been around longer, so perhaps that is why. In the end it is about $20 to $30 less than the PC or PB2000.

I realize there are added costs to SVS. But there is a value to that as well. But we are now comparing two subs that basically cost the same and they perform very evenly. I don't see where Hsu has such a clear advantage that it warrants taking the risk. Only at 80 Hz is the VTF-2 significantly louder than the PC (3.5 dB). I do like mid bass though. Tough Choice I will have to make soon. I am leaning towards ordering the SVS PC2000 and only trying the Hsu if I feel I am missing something. For some reason I think I am trying to convince myself to buy the Hsu.
If this is that tough of a decision for you, I would just save a bit more and get a VTF-3. It is a significant step up in performance from both of these. For a bit less there is the Monoprice Monolith 12" THX-Ultra, that has the super clean deep bass of the SVS 2000 subs along with the mid-bass power of the VTF-2. These are all excellent subs.

E

eralimited57

Audiophyte
I brought home an SVS subwoofer to demo from Nebraska Furniture Mart. It was flat out horrible and I took it back for a full refund. I then found a used HSU and bought it brought it home and set it up. WOW is all I can say. Night and Day difference. The HSU subwoofer sound phenomenal and blended right in with my magnepan 1.7s and MMGs. I was so impressed that I bought another one for my stereo set up.

Use a correction filter to send 80Hz and above to your mains and 80-90Hz below to the subs.

I compared my set ups with some $35,000 speakers on display at Nebraska Furniture Mart. Listening to the same track, wow my system that cost a fraction of that blew away those $35,000 speakers at NFM.

I really feel for people who go in there and spend that kind of money on speakers. Little do they know.

Go with the HSU subs and you will never look back.

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
I brought home an SVS subwoofer to demo from Nebraska Furniture Mart. It was flat out horrible and I took it back for a full refund. I then found a used HSU and bought it brought it home and set it up. WOW is all I can say. Night and Day difference. The HSU subwoofer sound phenomenal and blended right in with my magnepan 1.7s and MMGs. I was so impressed that I bought another one for my stereo set up.

Use a correction filter to send 80Hz and above to your mains and 80-90Hz below to the subs.

I compared my set ups with some $35,000 speakers on display at Nebraska Furniture Mart. Listening to the same track, wow my system that cost a fraction of that blew away those $35,000 speakers at NFM.

I really feel for people who go in there and spend that kind of money on speakers. Little do they know.

Go with the HSU subs and you will never look back.
What SVS sub did you have a bad experience with? Both SVS and HSU are at the top of the subwoofer maker world.

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
I just got a c-stock VTF-2 mk5 and call me impressed.

Looking at the AH review in detail on this sub, the measurement charts don't say what Q control and EQ settings were used. I know this review is old now but it would be nice to know.

E

eralimited57

Audiophyte

Looking at the AH review in detail on this sub, the measurement charts don't say what Q control and EQ settings were used. I know this review is old now but it would be nice to know.
Give Dr. HSU a call or send him an email. He is extremely helpful and responds in a very timely manner.

E

eralimited57

Audiophyte
That's strange I don't smell any BS here, must be coming from your end.

E

eralimited57

Audiophyte
Give Dr. HSU a call or send him an email. He is extremely helpful and responds in a very timely manner.
You can also go to the HSU website and pull up the manual for the subwoofer you're interested in and in there it will explain in detail the functions therein.

P

paulgyro

Junior Audioholic
That's strange I don't smell any BS here, must be coming from your end.
Thanks for that, I was just wondering what the Audioholics review used for the EQ and Q settings, it only mentioned what ports it used.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

For output tests, the Q was set to 0.7. The 'EQ' switch was set to '2EQ' for two ports open and sealed, and '1EQ' for one port open.

E

eralimited57

Audiophyte
For output tests, the Q was set to 0.7. The 'EQ' switch was set to '2EQ' for two ports open and sealed, and '1EQ' for one port open.
I set Q to 50, switched to EQ1, 1 port plugged, 1 port open.

One more comment on the SVS subwoofer that I tried out. It sounded flat and boomy with no musicality to it. The HSU sounded just the opposite.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis