Hsu Research VTF-2 mk5 Subwoofer Review

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I just ordered a pair of HSU VTF2 on sale. These will be for my living room system. 4700 cu ft. I have Rythmik subs in my theater and my bedroom system. Excited to see how the HSU VTF2 pair will perform. :)
They are extremely capable subs at their price point. Enjoy!

DRDTSI

DRDTSI

Audiophyte
I just ordered a pair of HSU VTF2 on sale. These will be for my living room system. 4700 cu ft. I have Rythmik subs in my theater and my bedroom system. Excited to see how the HSU VTF2 pair will perform. :)
I'm really curious to see how you like the VTF-2 MK5 Subs in your setup, and how you like them compared to your Rythmik Subs (Which models do you have?)

We currently have 2x Sunfire HRS12 Subs in our 8000 Cu/Ft living room and am looking at upgrading for more bottom end volume for movies without getting sloppy compared to our current subs.

My Short List for a pair of replacement subs:
HSU VTF-2 MK5
Outlaw Ultra-X12s
Rythmik LV12R

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I'm really curious to see how you like the VTF-2 MK5 Subs in your setup, and how you like them compared to your Rythmik Subs (Which models do you have?)

We currently have 2x Sunfire HRS12 Subs in our 8000 Cu/Ft living room and am looking at upgrading for more bottom end volume for movies without getting sloppy compared to our current subs.

My Short List for a pair of replacement subs:
HSU VTF-2 MK5
Outlaw Ultra-X12s
Rythmik LV12R
In my 2600 cu ft theater (Man cave), I have a single Rythmik LVX12 sub. In my 4700 cu living room / dining area / kitchen, I have two HSU VTF2 MK5 subs. In my 1400 cu ft bedroom, I have a single Rythmik L12 sub. All of these subs sound great.

In 8000 cu ft you are probably going to need ported 15in subs if you want movie theater type sound effects. I would think the HSU VTF15 or Rythmik FV15HP would be what you want to look at if you have the funds. The HSU VTF3 at a minimum.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
In my 2600 cu ft theater (Man cave), I have a single Rythmik LVX12 sub. In my 4700 cu living room / dining area / kitchen, I have two HSU VTF2 MK5 subs. In my 1400 cu ft bedroom, I have a single Rythmik L12 sub. All of these subs sound great.

In 8000 cu ft you are probably going to need ported 15in subs if you want movie theater type sound effects. I would think the HSU VTF15 or Rythmik FV15HP would be what you want to look at if you have the funds. The HSU VTF3 at a minimum.
I'd be going with 18s in his room. :D

For 15s, I like these for under 1k
http://seatonsound.net/product/mfw-15-turbo-kit/

DRDTSI

DRDTSI

Audiophyte

My current Sealed HRS12 hit pretty hard and I'm only really looking at upgrading since one of my Clients wants to buy them off me.
I agree that 15" subs are really what I should use for a room of my size, but shouldn't the ported subs mentioned above be substantially louder than my current sealed subs?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
My current Sealed HRS12 hit pretty hard and I'm only really looking at upgrading since one of my Clients wants to buy them off me.
I agree that 15" subs are really what I should use for a room of my size, but shouldn't the ported subs mentioned above be substantially louder than my current sealed subs?
Sealed or ported can be equally loud, just depends on the design. I've got 15s that are sealed, with substantial EQ formulations that play into the low teens at moderate SPL, 91, in room and can peak over 120dbs from 30 to 140hz. Ported is easier, as rarely do you have to apply eq.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I’m sure James will have a reply. @shadyJ

My idea of hitting hard might not be the same as yours. I like it very loud. :)

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
They are extremely capable subs at their price point. Enjoy!
a few months ago I e-mailed HSU Research, Dr. Hsu answered and suggested I get the VTF-2 MK5. My concerns are the weight (62 lbs, will delivery person carry it up one flight of stairs), and the 'power outlet requirement' of 430 watts, 120/240 volts? I don't know the wattage of my power outlets. They are standard 3-prong, 120 volts.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
a few months ago I e-mailed HSU Research, Dr. Hsu answered and suggested I get the VTF-2 MK5. My concerns are the weight (62 lbs, will delivery person carry it up one flight of stairs), and the 'power outlet requirement' of 430 watts, 120/240 volts? I don't know the wattage of my power outlets. They are standard 3-prong, 120 volts.
15A is 1800w. You should be good. :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The ported subs will certainly play louder at low frequencies vs the Sunfire subs. I wouldn't be surprised if they could equal the Sunfire in mid-bass frequencies as well. My guess is the Sunfire subs have an advantage in the 50 Hz or maybe 60 Hz range but not so much anywhere else. The Sunfire is made to get some deep bass from a relatively small enclosure, but there will inevitably be huge trade-offs in efficiency to accomplish that goal. When the enclosure size restrictions are relaxed, you can do much more with much less.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You would very rarely draw 430 watts from a power outlet with a VTF-2 mk5. You would have to almost push it to full throttle. A normal power draw would b e something like 10 to maybe 35 watts.

DRDTSI

DRDTSI

Audiophyte
The ported subs will certainly play louder at low frequencies vs the Sunfire subs. I wouldn't be surprised if they could equal the Sunfire in mid-bass frequencies as well. My guess is the Sunfire subs have an advantage in the 50 Hz or maybe 60 Hz range but not so much anywhere else. The Sunfire is made to get some deep bass from a relatively small enclosure, but there will inevitably be huge trade-offs in efficiency to accomplish that goal. When the enclosure size restrictions are relaxed, you can do much more with much less.
The max SPL reported on the HRS-12 Specs is 108 db and this HRS-12 Review that follows backs that up.
Looks like major gains across the board based on what I am seeing :D

audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/sunfire-hrs-12-subwoofer/sunfire-hrs-12-measurements-and-conclusion

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The max SPL reported on the HRS-12 Specs is 108 db and this HRS-12 Review that follows backs that up.
Looks like major gains across the board based on what I am seeing :D

audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/sunfire-hrs-12-subwoofer/sunfire-hrs-12-measurements-and-conclusion
That 108 dB spec is not useful. It doesn't specify any particular frequency, and it assumes certain favorable acoustic conditions. It doesn't specify a distortion limit either. Performance measurements from later Audioholics articles are far better defined and much more meaningful. I'm not saying the Sunfire sub is bad, but it is seriously crippled by its size restrictions. I'm sure its good for the enclosure size, but if you can handle larger enclosures, you can get way more bang for the buck.

DRDTSI

DRDTSI

Audiophyte
My only point with showing that spec is that Sunfire lists it as the maximum SPL the sub is capable of.
I assume that regardless of frequency, that is its limit of this little monsters capability.

HSU lists the maximum SPL of the VTF-2 MKV at various frequencies, all of which are greater than 108DB aside from 16hz

HSU VTF-2 MK5 SPL Specifications at 1M
hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-2mk5.html

Audioholics VTF-2 MK5 SPL Tests at 2M
audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/hsu-vtf-2-mk5/measurements%20and%20analysis

Sorry for the broken links, I don't have enough posts to place real links yet...

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Update on my VTF2 pair. I added a Y cable to each sub get them to trigger on at low volume. $8 each so not a huge deal.

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
Hello guy's/girls

History/background:

I'm currently running a Outlaw X12 in my living room (odd shape). The X12 is setup in 2 port mode with +6db (from -11 to -5) boost after calibration. I originally had the sub in 1 port mode and really enjoyed the extension but it felt it was lacking 25hz-100hz so i switched it to 2 port mode shortly after and re-calibrated. Placement is an issue for the X12 but it's currently in the best location(out of 3 possible locations).

My Living room is next to the kitchen which can be closed off via two sliding doors (there's still roughly a 1 inch gap under the door though so i don't know if this still counts as being "closed"). We usually keep one of two doors slightly open to allow the dogs access to their water (which is located in the hallway around the corner away from the living room " L shape)

total space with the kitchen doors open is roughly 5000 cu. ft., with the doors closed about 3500 cu.ft.

So far i have been mostly(90%) happy with the X12(1 year ownership) when watching movies with deep bass tracks but i feel like i'm pushing the sub near it's limit(blade runner and ready player one where amazing experiences). For music i'm 100% satisfied.

Want: (note i understand the benefits of duals but have no experience with duals)

I'm looking to add a 2nd but since the X12 has done up in price $679!!!! (B-stock is still $639!!) i was thinking about grabbing the HSU VTF2-MK5 since they have near identical response/performance.

Need:

1. more headroom
2. slightly more output would be nice (if i get the claimed +3db i think i'll be happy)
3.more extension, with duals would the subs have enough headroom to run in 1 port mode?

extra question:

Should i skip the VTF-2 MK5 and go straight to a VTF-3 MK5 and add a second in a year or two?
since i'm 90% there (or so i think lol) should i just stick to the original plan and get a second X12(if it goes on sale) or VTF-2 MK5.

I know these are hard/subjective questions to answer but i would appreciate any input.

*these subs will eventually find their way into a dedicated sealed HT room roughly 2500-3000 cu. ft.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hello guy's/girls

History/background:

I'm currently running a Outlaw X12 in my living room (odd shape). The X12 is setup in 2 port mode with +6db (from -11 to -5) boost after calibration. I originally had the sub in 1 port mode and really enjoyed the extension but it felt it was lacking 25hz-100hz so i switched it to 2 port mode shortly after and re-calibrated. Placement is an issue for the X12 but it's currently in the best location(out of 3 possible locations).

My Living room is next to the kitchen which can be closed off via two sliding doors (there's still roughly a 1 inch gap under the door though so i don't know if this still counts as being "closed"). We usually keep one of two doors slightly open to allow the dogs access to their water (which is located in the hallway around the corner away from the living room " L shape)

total space with the kitchen doors open is roughly 5000 cu. ft., with the doors closed about 3500 cu.ft.

So far i have been mostly(90%) happy with the X12(1 year ownership) when watching movies with deep bass tracks but i feel like i'm pushing the sub near it's limit(blade runner and ready player one where amazing experiences). For music i'm 100% satisfied.

Want: (note i understand the benefits of duals but have no experience with duals)

I'm looking to add a 2nd but since the X12 has done up in price $679!!!! (B-stock is still $639!!) i was thinking about grabbing the HSU VTF2-MK5 since they have near identical response/performance.

Need:

1. more headroom
2. slightly more output would be nice (if i get the claimed +3db i think i'll be happy)
3.more extension, with duals would the subs have enough headroom to run in 1 port mode?

extra question:

Should i skip the VTF-2 MK5 and go straight to a VTF-3 MK5 and add a second in a year or two?
since i'm 90% there (or so i think lol) should i just stick to the original plan and get a second X12(if it goes on sale) or VTF-2 MK5.

I know these are hard/subjective questions to answer but i would appreciate any input.

*these subs will eventually find their way into a dedicated sealed HT room roughly 2500-3000 cu. ft.
Adding a VTF-3 or VTF-2 is a winning plan, since they are both terrific subs. Regarding the raised prices of Outlaw sub, I'm betting that is due to the tariffs. That is a shame. Since you are going to eventually place these in a dedicated home theater room, I might swing for the VTF-3.

One thing about the subs you are contemplating, they will not give you much more extension. These subs all share a similar tuning point. You may get less stress noises when pushing them hard at deep frequencies for the same output level though.

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
Adding a VTF-3 or VTF-2 is a winning plan, since they are both terrific subs. Regarding the raised prices of Outlaw sub, I'm betting that is due to the tariffs. That is a shame. Since you are going to eventually place these in a dedicated home theater room, I might swing for the VTF-3.

One thing about the subs you are contemplating, they will not give you much more extension. These subs all share a similar tuning point. You may get less stress noises when pushing them hard at deep frequencies for the same output level though.
I think i didn't explain myself properly, sorry about that.

The ultra x12 in extension mode ( 1 port) is more than enough extension for me(for now anywas :p).What i meant is would i have enough headroom with duals(x12 or vtf2mk5) setup in 1 port mode?
how would dual x12/vtf2.5 in 1 port mode compare to 1 x12 dual port mode in terms of headroom?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think i didn't explain myself properly, sorry about that.

The ultra x12 in extension mode ( 1 port) is more than enough extension for me(for now anywas :p).What i meant is would i have enough headroom with duals(x12 or vtf2mk5) setup in 1 port mode?
how would dual x12/vtf2.5 in 1 port mode compare to 1 x12 dual port mode in terms of headroom?
Duals would double your headroom, of course, across all frequencies. It should allow for cleaner deep bass playback as well, but they can still get stressed if you push them hard enough.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis