Hsu Research VTF-2 mk5 Subwoofer Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This decision is like choosing between a Porsche and a Lotus. Whatever you choose, you are going to be end up happy (unless you can't drive for some reason, which, if so, I deeply apologize for the analogy).

MarcG

MarcG

Junior Audioholic
My awesome gf suggest I get another x12/vtf2.5 for now then move those for my pc room when I build the HT room then I'll grab some 18's (JTR/ rythmik or PSA)

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
I just got this bad boy brand new from HSU and installed it in the corner. One port open, eq set to "1". Gain is set at 12 oclock, internal crossover disabled, crossover in the Denon amp at 80Hz.
Getting a strange rattle from the subwoofer cone on certain very low passages where the bass is a longer extended note.
It is not from the enclosure or the surrounding wall/baseboards etc.
Noticed this on very deep musical bass heavy tracks like Impend from Halo 2:
And also Heretic, Hero from the same soundtrack.

Everything appears to be in order on the sub, all the face mounted screws are tight.
Suggestions?

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Can you run a sweep to see what frequencies it is prevalent at? Use a tone generator like this. Slowly slide the frequency from 16 Hz to 100 Hz to see if it is occurring at a specific frequency. Can you describe the offending noise more specifically? Is like like a sharp tapping noise or a softer fluttering noise?

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Can you run a sweep to see what frequencies it is prevalent at? Use a tone generator like this. Slowly slide the frequency from 16 Hz to 100 Hz to see if it is occurring at a specific frequency. Can you describe the offending noise more specifically? Is like like a sharp tapping noise or a softer fluttering noise?
Definitely a sharp tapping noise rather than 'chuffing'. I thought it was the enclosure rattling or maybe some baseboard trim. But once I got my ear right up against it, it definitely sounds like the woofer cone itself. Happens with or without the grille on too.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
Yep, happens distinctly from 15hz all the way 55hz with a test tone generator :(

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
I did. Excellent customer service.
I'm pretty sure I found the issue:
51741906_2122579941155968_88740191908397056_n.jpg

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
And also here at this mounting point (it's a little harder to see here, but there is a large stress fracture from the screw being over tightened).
51730815_2122579774489318_660323145558786048_n.jpg

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
It sounds like the driver has been knocked out of alignment. This can happen if the sub is subjected to a drop or impact during shipping. Contact Hsu. They will have you run some tests to be sure that is the case. If they determine that is the cause, they will send you a new driver.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
And also here at this mounting point (it's a little harder to see here, but there is a large stress fracture from the screw being over tightened).View attachment 28210
Hmm, I wouldn't think that kind of damage would cause the kind of problem that you are experiencing. None the less, I think that entire unit should be replaced. I am sure that Hsu will take care of you.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
They are sending out a new sub tomorrow morning first thing.
Excellent customer service and follow up.

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
It sounds like the driver has been knocked out of alignment. This can happen if the sub is subjected to a drop or impact during shipping. Contact Hsu. They will have you run some tests to be sure that is the case. If they determine that is the cause, they will send you a new driver.
Could very well be that it was damaged during shipping. Still, that first pic of the split mounting point looks even worse in person.
All in all they are taking care of it so I am happy as a clam. Will report back when I get the replacement unit.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Could very well be that it was damaged during shipping. Still, that first pic of the split mounting point looks even worse in person.
All in all they are taking care of it so I am happy as a clam. Will report back when I get the replacement unit.
Did you buy 2 or just the 1?

The Chukker

The Chukker

Full Audioholic
There's only room for one of these in my gameroom alas

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Update on my VTF2 pair. I added a Y cable to each sub get them to trigger on at low volume. $8 each so not a huge deal.
Hello, can you explain or point me to something to read that explains this?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis