How much of a difference can I expect?

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
Thank you guys for the advice....looks like the subs will arrive on tuesday. Once i run thru the setup and measurements can i post my final measurement for more advice? Thanks again.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think the Hsu subs will be a step up, although maybe not a huge step up. The Hsu sub will certainly be capable of more deep bass output and should have a bit more headroom in upper frequencies as well. The pw2200 v2 doesn't look terrible for its day, however, and if you never really played them hard, the difference between it and the VTF-2 mk5 might only be noticeable in the VTF-2's deeper bass extension.
He's getting 2 of the VTF-3s @shadyJ. If the VTF-2 is comparable to what he has now the VTF-3 is an even bigger step up.

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
Ok so first of let me say these are some fantastic subs. Needless to say everything ive read about them was pretty spot on, the system is on a whole new level now. Spent half of the day taking measurements in REW and would like to share what i got so far and ask for your thoughts. The below graph is in a 40 to 90db and 10 to 200hz setting. HSU suggested using one sub in a near field location and the other in the corner so i tried that first. The brown line is before audyssey the light blue line is after i ran audyssey. The dark blue line is both subs in the front corners before audyssey. Of all the locations these 2 seemed the best. Any thoughts?
image000000.jpg

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
Here is a rough sketch of my room i sit about 13 feet from the screen on a couch ceiling is 8 ft.

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ok so first of let me say these are some fantastic subs. Needless to say everything ive read about them was pretty spot on, the system is on a whole new level now. Spent half of the day taking measurements in REW and would like to share what i got so far and ask for your thoughts. The below graph is in a 40 to 90db and 10 to 200hz setting. HSU suggested using one sub in a near field location and the other in the corner so i tried that first. The brown line is before audyssey the light blue line is after i ran audyssey. The dark blue line is both subs in the front corners before audyssey. Of all the locations these 2 seemed the best. Any thoughts? View attachment 34406
The bright blue line is really good, at least up to 70 Hz. It's a shame that Audyssey knocks down output above that point. It is such a shame, in fact, I recommend bypassing Audyssey and manually EQing them. The real problem in the response is the bump from 50 to 70 Hz. If you could just knock that down, the rest isn't bad. However, Audyssey is flattening that out but not without tanking an important region of mid-bass.

I'm glad to see that you are verifying what Audyssey is doing with measurements instead of just assuming its making everything better; it isn't.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The bright blue line is really good, at least up to 70 Hz. It's a shame that Audyssey knocks down output above that point. It is such a shame, in fact, I recommend bypassing Audyssey and manually EQing them. The real problem in the response is the bump from 50 to 70 Hz. If you could just knock that down, the rest isn't bad. However, Audyssey is flattening that out but not without tanking an important region of mid-bass.

I'm glad to see that you are verifying what Audyssey is doing with measurements instead of just assuming its making everything better; it isn't.
Audyssey does the same thing with my room too. In order to tame a huge peak it drastically reduces one band at the expense of some mid bass.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious, how many mic positions are you measuring with as per the graph posted?

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
I have a 3 person couch that graph is the middle seat i ran the seats to the left and the right to see if anything was drastically off from the main seat and it wasnt too far off it seemed

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
Well after alot of moving and measuring and yelling at the kids bcuz the made a noise during a measurement i think i found the best its gonna get. No audyssey, here are the 3 main listening positions the orange is the middle main seat the blue is to the left and the green is the seat on the right. Is this a decent response? After some hours playing music and movies im still damn impressed with the hsus. It was a good decision imo.
20200307_111505.jpg

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well after alot of moving and measuring and yelling at the kids bcuz the made a noise during a measurement i think i found the best its gonna get. No audyssey, here are the 3 main listening positions the orange is the middle main seat the blue is to the left and the green is the seat on the right. Is this a decent response? After some hours playing music and movies im still damn impressed with the hsus. It was a good decision imo. View attachment 34488
If you use the camera icon you can do screen caps that are much easier to read. Just save them and upload like usual.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Wow. I audyssey? Pretty good. I would definitely run it and at least see what happens.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, blue and yellow look pretty good, and green isn't terrible. That's not bad at all.

*Edit: I have a lot of squiggles in that 60-90 hz range like you do, lol.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Well after alot of moving and measuring and yelling at the kids bcuz the made a noise during a measurement i think i found the best its gonna get. No audyssey, here are the 3 main listening positions the orange is the middle main seat the blue is to the left and the green is the seat on the right. Is this a decent response? After some hours playing music and movies im still damn impressed with the hsus. It was a good decision imo. View attachment 34488
That isn't a bad response. There is a some room for improvement, but not a whole lot. The orange curve is the best, so the middle seat is the sweet spot. If you run Audyssey, make sure to compare the before and after. As was mentioned before, don't assume Audyssey will make improvements. Verify it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis