How much of a difference can I expect?

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
Hi I'm new and looking for some general advice. I have 2 paradigm pw2200 v2 subwoofers and I'm looking to upgrade to 2 vtf3 mk5 hp's from hsu. How much of an impact could I expect from this upgrade? Thx in advance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How about some info to base that on? Dimensions of room/space open to sub? SPL and extension goals?

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
Sorry. It's in a large basement room 5500 cubic feet or so it's an oddly shaped room has a bar opens to hallways and other rooms. I use it for movies gaming and music. I chose the hsu for the tuning options since I'm new I figure I'm going to have to do a lot of playing with the settings. I like the paradigms I have but am looking for more/better bass

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think the Hsu subs will be a step up, although maybe not a huge step up. The Hsu sub will certainly be capable of more deep bass output and should have a bit more headroom in upper frequencies as well. The pw2200 v2 doesn't look terrible for its day, however, and if you never really played them hard, the difference between it and the VTF-2 mk5 might only be noticeable in the VTF-2's deeper bass extension.

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
Thank you for the feedback....shadyJ for the budget of 2 vtf3 mk5s is there another option that you would consider beside the hsus? I definitely want 2 subs for my odd shaped room from what everyone says online the hsus sounded like the best bet

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
4 speedwoofer 10s?? (Just saw the ad below)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thank you for the feedback....shadyJ for the budget of 2 vtf3 mk5s is there another option that you would consider beside the hsus? I definitely want 2 subs for my odd shaped room from what everyone says online the hsus sounded like the best bet
Hard to beat the Hsu value for two sub system. Speedwoofer is a good sub but won't have near the deep bass capability of the Hsu. Won't get as loud either.

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I have 2 paradigm pw2200 v2 subwoofers and I'm looking to upgrade to 2 vtf3 mk5 hp's from hsu. How much of an impact could I expect from this upgrade?
Your room is pretty large and if the word "concrete" is in the description of your basement construction you have the added problem of trying to overcome an inert structure. Ideally you should probably be looking at ported 18's instead, especially for movies and gaming, but as an upgrade to the PW2200 the VT3 will likely be rather noticeable.

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
Currently I do have acid stained concrete floors with a large rug under couches and the sitting area. The wife wants to carpet the basement...if I let her will that help improve the bass?...And let me get brownie points with the wife?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Carpet doesn’t change concrete to a suspended wood floor. So carpet it... it will help some with absorbing some soundwaves, maybe make the room feel warmer... but the concrete will not vibrate with bass. :)

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
Lol I see....So 18s??? I'll have to look at some and maybe get one now and another later? I'm guessing rythmik as a good option? Who else has 18s? I feel as if the fv18 would break my concrete floor and make my house fall apart.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Lol I see....So 18s??? I'll have to look at some and maybe get one now and another later? I'm guessing rythmik as a good option? Who else has 18s? I feel as if the fv18 would break my concrete floor and make my house fall apart.
Ha. Only if used with Malicious Intent. My 13.5" Outlaws could probably destroy my house if I wanted. :eek: (I don't.) ;)
Look at the Subwoofer reviews here on AH, and the Bassaholic protocol. If your space is just over 5000'3, that is considered Extreme, and the AH crew has you covered. Two Outlaw X13, or Monolith 15, for example, or two Hsu VTF3 or VTF15... They would likely do you just fine.
If you want 18" or 21" subs... I'm not gonna tell you no. ;) I'm certain it would be fun. :D :oops: :cool: But what would that look like for you?
If anything, DIY would be the way to go if you were gonna do that.
o_O

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Off top of my head JTR, Power Sound Audio, Deep Sea Sound (altho only sealed IIRC), Seaton, Funk, various diy....and I believe Hsu is rumored to be coming out with one soon, too.

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
Ok so i ordered 2 of the vtf3 mk5 hps. and a umik1 mic for REW. First time using the software and setting up multisub. I have a marantz sr6013. After doing the sub crawl and after running audyssey then i should take measurements and eq from there to get the best response with the subs? Again my first time but i really enjoy learning so any advice would be appreciated

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Ok so i ordered 2 of the vtf3 mk5 hps. and a umik1 mic for REW. First time using the software and setting up multisub. I have a marantz sr6013. After doing the sub crawl and after running audyssey then i should take measurements and eq from there to get the best response with the subs? Again my first time but i really enjoy learning so any advice would be appreciated
Here is a good guide to get you started. With two subs, the sub crawl method of finding placement isn't as useful. What you want to do is just measure a bunch of locations the subs can go. Find the spot that yields the best response for sub #1. The place the second sub in the spot that best shores up the dips left in response from placement for sub #1. Let measurements be your guide.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You can do measurements with Rew and the mic....you might see what best response is with mic but the only eq without additional gear (like a miniDSP 2x4HD) would be using Audyssey...if you did have the miniDSP you could eq then run Audyssey to integrate...

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the link shady some really good info in there. I have watched every youtube (and subscribed) video you guys have on dual subwoofers and the REW videos alot of great info. I just have a few questions still that i apologize if i missed in the videos. 1) so can i ditch audyssey or since ive ran it for the rest of the system keep it as is and use rew to integrate the subs? 2) since the hsu subs have so many tuning options, should i only use those tuning options to smooth out the response? Ie play with the sub settings and run rew then change and rerun rew measurements to see the effect until i get a good response?

K

keepr88

Junior Audioholic
You can do measurements with Rew and the mic....you might see what best response is with mic but the only eq without additional gear (like a miniDSP 2x4HD) would be using Audyssey...if you did have the miniDSP you could eq then run Audyssey to integrate...
Ive heard of minidsp but tbh i dont know what/how to incorporate it into a set up. I feel like it sounds easy but when people talk about it on the forums but i cannot grasp the whole idea behind it or how to use it. Open to more info on it tho. Thx!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Ive heard of minidsp but tbh i dont know what/how to incorporate it into a set up. I feel like it sounds easy but when people talk about it on the forums but i cannot grasp the whole idea behind it or how to use it. Open to more info on it tho. Thx!
Many seem to think having the mic and REW alone can implement particular eq....no, that's just for measurement. REW does have the potential of applying a particular eq solution thru certain hardware, and in between the pre-outs of an avr and various amps (like the sub amp via the avr pre-out particularly). Beyond that for an avr to implement an eq solution via REW you'd need a full set of external amps so as to insert the miniDSP unit between the avr pre-outs and external amps......hope that helps.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for the link shady some really good info in there. I have watched every youtube (and subscribed) video you guys have on dual subwoofers and the REW videos alot of great info. I just have a few questions still that i apologize if i missed in the videos. 1) so can i ditch audyssey or since ive ran it for the rest of the system keep it as is and use rew to integrate the subs? 2) since the hsu subs have so many tuning options, should i only use those tuning options to smooth out the response? Ie play with the sub settings and run rew then change and rerun rew measurements to see the effect until i get a good response?
To answer your questions in order:
1.) Once you have found the optimal placement for the subs using REW, then run Audussey. Make sure to do a pre-Audyssey and post-Audysset measurement to be sure it actually improved the response. If it does flatten out the response, leave it on. If not, turn it off. Audyssey is not a guarantee for better sound. Don't assume it will make things better. Only use it after verifying that it does. If your main speakers are good, then I would just limit Audyssey to lower frequencies if you have that Audyssey app editor.

2.) The Hsu's tuning options don't really flatten out the response. They more restrict low end output and extension. Just use them to get the kind of deep bass that you prefer, there is no right answer here, only your preference.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis