High end system to my living room, MOST HELP PLEASE!!!!!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I need tell you something on KEF Q900, for you and everyone here, i read many reviews on this speakers and most of reviews says THE KEF Q900 SOUND WAS BOOMY. Nearly all of reviews on this speakers says that.
I seriously doubt that.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Why you choose them ?
I have heard them and they are one of the most impressive towers I have ever heard.
As I have stated a few times in other threads, a pair of these {with the regular tweeter, I have heard them both and prefer the std tweeter, although the ribbon is awesome, I think the std tweeter sounds better with the music we were listening to}, with an HSU uls15 dual drive, an Emotiva XLS1, and an Emotiva XPA2 is one of the best bang for your buck systems available, for $6000 I will put it against anything costing much more.. I have heard systems all over the world {OK all over the US and a few in Europe ;) and that arrangement of components did it all, the bass was fast and deep, the mids and highs were as perfect as I have ever heard defined warm with zero fatigue, you can listen to them speakers all day.. Plus the versatility was amazing, from old recordings of Satchmo's what a wonderfull world to Eminem's Lose yourself the setup did everything perfect, we listened to Aerosmith, Bruce, jazz tracks from 80 years ago, and then someone started a track by Timbaland called Apologize and although its not my favorite type of music, the digital sounds and voice was mesmerizing it is now one of my "test your system songs" along with Sinead Oconnors rendition of silent night...

If you want something warm, realistic, strong, defined and a pleasure to listen to for hours, the Ascends are your guys, I hear really good things about the Phil 3s but the looks of the cabinets kill me, and I have heard from 2 people I trust in the audio field that say the sierras sound better {with Ribbon Im not sure if they ever heard them without}....

We all have our preferences, For music I prefer 2.2, I have tried a few other things, but to me if you want something that "does it all" you want a decent speaker crossed around 70-100 high pass and then at least one sub to handle the low end but 2 seems to make the system easier to tune for some reason, seamless....

I came across this combo after I already built 2 2.2 systems {one is in my formal parlor and one is in my guest houses living room/bar area} both of which make me happy and sound great, but my next one is going to be what I described above... We have A LOT of guests over very often, and when ever I play my 2.2 systems people are impressed, that is actually how I got to listen to the ascend /hsu combo, a couple of friends of mine wanted to upgrade their 2.0 systems after hearing mine and went to what I recommended, so I got the fun of hooking them up and listening for a good long while.. A good friend of mine {I baptized both of his children} has the system and when ever we are there, I plug my phone into his dac and throw a playlist on, I can not get enough if it... Someday I will upgrade but if my wife sees new speakers come in the house any time soon I am going to be outside looking in, we have at least $30K in audio equipment, lol... I recently picked up a set of Carver Black beauties I have no idea what I am going to do with but the price was so good I couldn't resist $4500 brand new never opened for a pair !!!!

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
To me means many many things, made in MADE IN USA not like MADE IN CHINA.
Most people knows that and i thrust you are one of them hehehehehe.:D
My wharfedales are made outside of the US, and I love them, the quality is amazing and surpasses most of the US made speakers I have seen, the fit and finish of the cabinets are about as good as I have ever seen, the veneer the speakers and tweeter mounting, grills, all top notch... My jade 5's are only $3200 a pair and they look like they were put together by a space program, perfection....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think it really comes down to movies/music. If you watch alot of movies you want the best dynamics, clarity, and transperency.

If you listen to alot of music, you should go for speakers that are hifi (accurate/flat/detailed)
Great accurate speakers sound great with movies, music, games, TV, radio, and everything that makes sound.

We are talking about a home environment where most rooms are less than 25' x 25' in dimension, not some 100' x 100 ' stadiums.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
One way to find out GOOOOOGLE ok two ways GOOOOOOOOGLE AND BING..get to work...
Gotta love the Internet, where hearsay is gospel and anyone can get their PhD's from the University of Google (& Bing). :D

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I think it really comes down to movies/music. If you watch alot of movies you want the best dynamics, clarity, and transperency.

If you listen to alot of music, you should go for speakers that are hifi (accurate/flat/detailed)

So far, the Tektons are known to have the best dynamics,clarity, and good transpearency. Someone was saying when he was listening to a tekno song, the cymbals were out in space and 3d so they cant be bad at all.

The Ascends and Phil 3's get good measurements so I am assuming they are very hifi and suit more towards music than HT. The Ascends are only 89 efficient so if you like playing loud with clarity, you would have to get more expensive amps to drive the ascends..

There is a Tekton Pendragon SEAS that goes for $3,500 I think. Its geared towards HIFI without losing dyamics. I have never heard them and there aren't many pro-reviews out there for the SEAS Pendragons but I assume they are good since all tekton speakers get praised from everywehere.. They are also more room ferindly and is about 3/5 of the size of the Pendragons.

If you decided to go with the tektons, they are known for their half assed customer service, so keep that in mind. You might have to wait a few months because they are so backed up with orders..
You need to get out and listen to some systems, make a weekend out of driving around and listening to systems, I think you are doing too much reading of reviews and that is dangerous... I make it a point to look up any hifi shops in the areas I am going to be in when I travel, then make an appt. {when needed} and go spend some time listening to different systems, I have been to some of the most extravagant hi fi stores in the US, Oregon, California, Texes, TN, FL, New York, ect, I have heard a lot of systems!!! We spent a while in HiFi sales in NJ talking with the guys there listening to stuff that we could never buy {or just wouldn't spend that kind of money on rather}, they took some B&Ws that were over $20K out for us {I prefer the ascend/hsu combo to them} and let us listen using some amps that cost as much as a new pickup truck... My cousin bought a demo amp they had {the reason we went down there} and the guys there were awesome even offered us lunch... Hi-Fi Sales Audio Video and Home Theater Video - Cherry Hill - YouTube

But anyway, do some listening, bring your own music and really put your head in it, sit there and listen to everything, thats how I know what I like and dont like... Almost every show we go into sell Klipsch and I find them obnoxious, one gentleman told me it is the most returned speaker he sells, lol...

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You can make some research and you will ensure.;)
What I mean is that I've heard the Q900 speakers play, and they sounded crystal clear to me.

I don't need to read about impressions from some crappy stores and shops. ;)

So if people CLAIM that the Q900 sound muddy, then it's secondary to suboptimal original music recording, setup, room acoustic, and placement.

A

A330-200

Junior Audioholic

So far, the Tektons are known to have the best dynamics,clarity, and good transpearency. Someone was saying when he was listening to a tekno song, the cymbals were out in space and 3d so they cant be bad at all.

The Ascends and Phil 3's get good measurements so I am assuming they are very hifi and suit more towards music than HT. The Ascends are only 89 efficient so if you like playing loud with clarity, you would have to get more expensive amps to drive the ascends..

There is a Tekton Pendragon SEAS that goes for $3,500 I think. Its geared towards HIFI without losing dyamics. I have never heard them and there aren't many pro-reviews out there for the SEAS Pendragons but I assume they are good since all tekton speakers get praised from everywehere.. They are also more room ferindly and is about 3/5 of the size of the Pendragons.

If you decided to go with the tektons, they are known for their half assed customer service, so keep that in mind. You might have to wait a few months because they are so backed up with orders..
I don't think will buy any of tekton speakers because simply i need to try the experience of RAAL (ribon) tweeter. Also i need a custom made speaker not standard because i think the custom made speaker is more & more precision. :)

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Great accurate speakers sound great with movies, music, games, TV, radio, and everything that makes sound.

Yeah but there isnt much speakers for a pair in his price range that can do all that at the same time. If A330 goes with an extra sub for added dynamics then its kind of easier to recommend.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
I don't think will buy any of tekton speakers because simply i need to try the experience of RAAL (ribon) tweeter. Also i need a custom made speaker not standard because i think the custom made speaker is more & more precision. :)

Heard really good things about the RAAL tweeters. I myself was really contemplating on getting either the Tekton Enzo's or the Phil 3's but I just went with the enzo's +sub for addedd dynamics since I am 95% movies. Total is $2,500 with stock colors.

A

A330-200

Junior Audioholic
What I mean is that I've heard the Q900 speakers play, and they sounded crystal clear to me.

So if people CLAIM that the Q900 sound muddy, then it's secondary to suboptimal original music recording, setup, room acoustic, and placement.
There is nothing better than you listen a speaker and taken about it.
And surly your taste is different from the other.:)

S

SearchofSub

Banned
There is nothing better than you listen a speaker and taken about it.
And surly your taste is different from the other.:)

Funny thing is ACU, from the OP's standpoint, you are just like one of them. A reference.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
If you want to listen to poorly mastered junk then perhaps, but any quality recording requires as much clarity, accuracy and dynamics as a movie. One trip to Benedict Lake and you'd understand this truth. The best speakers can play loud and accurate not one or the other. Dynamics is just a fancy word for headroom. Every speaker worth anything can play low volumes, but nearly all run out of steam on the upper end especially in the bass range. The speakers we are discussing are excellent for both movies and music. If you need insane volumes then of course JTR is required.

Heard really good things about the RAAL tweeters. I myself was really contemplating on getting either the Tekton Enzo's or the Phil 3's but I just went with the enzo's +sub for addedd dynamics since I am 95% movies. Total is $2,500 with stock colors.
As a DIY builder the RAALs are a bit pricey for me, but they are certainly a great tweeter.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord

This is a huge mistake people make. Always bring high quality recordings for reviews. If you want a good list check out my benedict lake vis

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
If you want to listen to poorly mastered junk then perhaps, but any quality recording requires as much clarity, accuracy and dynamics as a movie. One trip to Benedict Lake and you'd understand this truth. The best speakers can play loud and accurate not one or the other. Dynamics is just a fancy word for headroom. Every speaker worth anything can play low volumes, but nearly all run out of steam on the upper end especially in the bass range. The speakers we are discussing are excellent for both movies and music. If you need insane volumes then of course JTR is required.

RAALs are a mixed bag IMO. One they are insanely expensive for a tweeter. Two they are ribbons so you only get a horizontal reflection which robs you of some acoustic energy. They are certainly good tweeters, but are they really superior to the RTIs I'm not sure about that. They are way too expensive to be unsure about too. I think the RAAL money is better spent in the midrange and bass areas of a system.
The cost of the RAAL is irrelevant--it's the cost of the final speaker that counts. Hopefully buyers will be comparing speaker prices, not component costs. Why do you "only get a horizontal reflection" with the RAAL? They are designed to be used with pads that increase vertical dispersion to about the equivalent of a 1" dome. And you can position them closer together to reduce high frequency energy if that is desired. Finally, very broad vertical dispersion is not necessarily a good thing. Ceiling reflections can mess up lateral imaging with no real compensating advantage. You just want sufficient vertical dispersion to avoid a very narrow sweet spot that collapses when you stand up.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Yep, they measure about +/- 4dB on-axis, not-so-smooth off-axis, got some resonance going there, but other than that, should sound pretty good. :D
According to the graph, there's about a 12db swing from 7khz to 9khz followed by about 15db from 9khz to 11khz.

Though looking at the off-axis chart there's a spike right around the on-axis dip. I wonder if those cancel at (say) 10-degrees.

A

A330-200

Junior Audioholic

RAALs are a mixed bag IMO. One they are insanely expensive for a tweeter. Two they are ribbons so you only get a horizontal reflection which robs you of some acoustic energy. They are certainly good tweeters, but are they really superior to the RTIs I'm not sure about that. They are way too expensive to be unsure about too. I think the RAAL money is better spent in the midrange and bass areas of a system.
I think should to add subwoofer to anysystem and that important to some people.
Also the ribbon tweeters are important to some people also
But i need ask you a quistion.
Mr isiberian can you tell me anything about Philharmonc 3 ? Anything !

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis