High end system to my living room, MOST HELP PLEASE!!!!!

A

A330-200

Junior Audioholic
The best speakers available at this price point 2500$ to 3500$ are Philharmonic 3, SalkSongTowers RT and ascend sierra towers all with ribbon tweeter. I thrust that's is the right.
I thrust that's the right choice, i thrust i will not go wrong with any of these speakers, never go wrong with anyone of them. That's not my idea, its what the handred's people taken about.
And the only standard made speaker available i'd add it to this amazing three is the KEF R900 (the used one not new).
Like thrust i am not go wrong with any of the three, also not going wrong if i go with the KEF's.
The thread is like a vote right now. And very helpful thread for everyone .

KEF R900, SalkSongTowerRT (ribbon), Philharmonic 3 (ribbon) and acsend Sierra towers !!!! I feel good to Philharmonic 3 and KEF's.
What about you holics ?

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
I listened to the Kef R700s quite a bit in a store and I had a pair of Phil2s in my house for a demo for a month or so. The Kefs were one of my favorite non-Internet direct options. They both sound very good, but definitely different. The biggest difference is the open back design on the Phils allows them to totally disappear and project a very wide and deep soundstage. The Phil2 did not have quite enough bass for me, but if I had increased my budget, I would have gotten a set of Phil 3s without hesitation.

Ideally, you really need to compare them side by side to see which you prefer. But, you said that is not really an option. You would probably be happy with both.
As far a getting a center in the future, I bet the R line will be around for awhile as it was just introduced last year. Also, as long as Dennis and/or Jim Salk are still in business they would always be able to make you a center to match whichever mains you get.

You have really good options...good luck!

S

SearchofSub

Banned
The best speakers available at this price point 2500$ to 3500$ are Philharmonic 3, SalkSongTowers RT and ascend sierra towers all with ribbon tweeter. I thrust that's is the right.
I thrust that's the right choice, i thrust i will not go wrong with any of these speakers, never go wrong with anyone of them. That's not my idea, its what the handred's people taken about.
And the only standard made speaker available i'd add it to this amazing three is the KEF R900 (the used one not new).
Like thrust i am not go wrong with any of the three, also not going wrong if i go with the KEF's.
The thread is like a vote right now. And very helpful thread for everyone .

KEF R900, SalkSongTowerRT (ribbon), Philharmonic 3 (ribbon) and acsend Sierra towers !!!! I feel good to Philharmonic 3 and KEF's.
What about you holics ?

Never heard any of them but have read that some dont like the SalkSongTowerRT.. It simply didnt really impress them.

I have read Ascend's soundstage falls at some point..

I have heard nothing but good things about Phil 3's.. If i were you, I'd go with the Phil 3's. I have also read the more transparent the speakers, the more you will benefit with speaker cables.. and from what I've read from the owners they are very transparent so pick up a good set of speaker cables if you do get the Phil 3's.

Last edited:
lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
The good news is you really can't go wrong here. Outside of listening to trolls of course.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Dude, just shutup and move along..

As for the OP, I really have never heard anything bad about the Phil 3's.. and I have done tons of reading since I was in the same boat as you trying to pick up a pair for $2500 - $3000.

So far there was always atleast ONE negative review (owner or pro) about the speakers you listed. The only ones that I havent heard any negative reviews about (not a single one) are the Phil 3's and the Tekton speakers.. Dont know about KEF.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Here is a comparison of the KEF with the Tekton Pendragon just posted on AVS.

I am a new proud owner of a pair of Pendragon speakers. I ordered them in early June and received them this past Friday. I am thoroughly impressed with what I hear so far and I have not really played with room placement or allowed them top break in. I simply removed the Kef iQ70 speakers and inserted the Pendragons in their place. I have them connected to a Harman HK 990 Integrated Amp rated at 150 watts per channel into 8 ohms. I also have a Hsu Research VTF-II Mk4 subwoofer. I ordered the Pendragons with the black satin finish with a couple extra coats of lacquer, the clear caps upgrade and grills however the grills got lost in the order somewhere. They are definitely smoother than my Kefs and have a bigger sound stage. One thing I am a little surprised at is that they do not seem louder than my Kefs at comparable volume settings. It is my understanding that they are quite a bit more efficient but my experience does not necessarily support that. I am by no means concerned with that as they play plenty load. Aesthetically the finish matches very closely to the Hsu subwoofer. I am debating whether I really need the subwoofer or not. I will jujt have to spend a long weekend experimenting with driving them with and without bass management, equalization and crossover settings to see where the sweet spot seems to be. I would like to thank all those before me that took a leap of faith and provided their feedback after purchasing from an Internet Direct vendor. My experience with Eric was much like others have described. He listened to my needs and made suggestions to steer me to the right product and options. I think I even got a little break on shipping cost. I am a big fan if him and his company and hope he stays true to his passion and finds great reward in what he does. It was worth the wait.

My primary music source is Apple Lossless files played from a Mac Mini connected via USB to an Oppo BDP-105 disk player that serves as my DAC. I figured the Sabre Dacs in the Oppo should be as good as or better than the DAC in the HK 990 amp. I'm diggin it!

If you don't like Tektons, I'd just go for the Phil 3's at this point.

J

Jimz711

Full Audioholic
The iQ70's are a much older and lesser line of Kef speakers so you really cannot make a comparison between them and the new R series. There has been at least one generation of q series since then and of course the R series are a much better designed line than the current q's.

I agree you cannot really go wrong with the two speakers you have narrowed your choice to, it would be great if you could compare them but I'm going to say you will be happy with either and you shouldn't look back once your decision is made.

A

A330-200

Junior Audioholic
The good news is you really can't go wrong here. Outside of listening to trolls of course.
That's why i like this forum, really amazing forum, amazing sharing, and amazing advice.

A

A330-200

Junior Audioholic
Dude, just shutup and move along..

As for the OP, I really have never heard anything bad about the Phil 3's.. and I have done tons of reading since I was in the same boat as you trying to pick up a pair for $2500 - $3000.

So far there was always atleast ONE negative review (owner or pro) about the speakers you listed. The only ones that I havent heard any negative reviews about (not a single one) are the Phil 3's and the Tekton speakers.. Dont know about KEF.

That's what i taken about, these speakers make the challenge for you.(if you don't have many options like me).

A

A330-200

Junior Audioholic

I am a new proud owner of a pair of Pendragon speakers. I ordered them in early June and received them this past Friday. I am thoroughly impressed with what I hear so far and I have not really played with room placement or allowed them top break in. I simply removed the Kef iQ70 speakers and inserted the Pendragons in their place. I have them connected to a Harman HK 990 Integrated Amp rated at 150 watts per channel into 8 ohms. I also have a Hsu Research VTF-II Mk4 subwoofer. I ordered the Pendragons with the black satin finish with a couple extra coats of lacquer, the clear caps upgrade and grills however the grills got lost in the order somewhere. They are definitely smoother than my Kefs and have a bigger sound stage. One thing I am a little surprised at is that they do not seem louder than my Kefs at comparable volume settings. It is my understanding that they are quite a bit more efficient but my experience does not necessarily support that. I am by no means concerned with that as they play plenty load. Aesthetically the finish matches very closely to the Hsu subwoofer. I am debating whether I really need the subwoofer or not. I will jujt have to spend a long weekend experimenting with driving them with and without bass management, equalization and crossover settings to see where the sweet spot seems to be. I would like to thank all those before me that took a leap of faith and provided their feedback after purchasing from an Internet Direct vendor. My experience with Eric was much like others have described. He listened to my needs and made suggestions to steer me to the right product and options. I think I even got a little break on shipping cost. I am a big fan if him and his company and hope he stays true to his passion and finds great reward in what he does. It was worth the wait.

My primary music source is Apple Lossless files played from a Mac Mini connected via USB to an Oppo BDP-105 disk player that serves as my DAC. I figured the Sabre Dacs in the Oppo should be as good as or better than the DAC in the HK 990 amp. I'm diggin it!

Philharmonic is the company knows what they made.

A

A330-200

Junior Audioholic

The only clear thing on the KEFs (most their speakers) is that THEY PLAY LOUDY. I don't say they bad speakers, but some speaker make you read every thing on them while the other not.

A

A330-200

Junior Audioholic
Plus this, most of KEFs speakers are nearly complete made in china, but Philharmonic, Salks and ascends are completely made in USA. :cool:

S

SearchofSub

Banned
Here is a review between of the KEF, this person thought the Sierra with RAAL was better..

Yes that's correct. Demoed the Kef Q900 at 2 places, a high end audio place and Electronics Expo. I disliked the Q900's high end. The treble was too high pitched for me. Since I only listened to the Q900 twice it was hard to determine whether it was the room environments, the recordings or the speaker itself. To my ears, the Sierra towers have a completely different presentation at the high end. Very smooth and transparent. A beautiful sounding speaker.

A

A330-200

Junior Audioholic
I need tell you something on KEF Q900, for you and everyone here, i read many reviews on this speakers and most of reviews says THE KEF Q900 SOUND WAS BOOMY. Nearly all of reviews on this speakers says that.

S

SearchofSub

Banned
That's what i taken about, these speakers make the challenge for you.(if you don't have many options like me).

I think it really comes down to movies/music. If you watch alot of movies you want the best dynamics, clarity, and transperency.

If you listen to alot of music, you should go for speakers that are hifi (accurate/flat/detailed)

So far, the Tektons are known to have the best dynamics,clarity, and good transpearency. Someone was saying when he was listening to a tekno song, the cymbals were out in space and 3d so they cant be bad at all.

The Ascends and Phil 3's get good measurements so I am assuming they are very hifi and suit more towards music than HT. The Ascends are only 89 efficient so if you like playing loud with clarity, you would have to get more expensive amps to drive the ascends..

There is a Tekton Pendragon SEAS that goes for $3,500 I think. Its geared towards HIFI without losing dyamics. I have never heard them and there aren't many pro-reviews out there for the SEAS Pendragons but I assume they are good since all tekton speakers get praised from everywehere.. They are also more room ferindly and is about 3/5 of the size of the Pendragons.

If you decided to go with the tektons, they are known for their half assed customer service, so keep that in mind. You might have to wait a few months because they are so backed up with orders..

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis