Help with right amplifier for passive subs

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
On that gsgad site, the only subs which they sell and which are worth considering are the Dayton UM18 and the RSS460. Most of the others are pro audio drivers which don't dig down to real infrasonic frequencies.
I saw that I've been researching Lol what drivers would you recommend for those packs you guys know I'm a basshead Lol and I love home theater soooo any suggestions would be most welcome

I'm still most likely going the RBH route but I'd be stupid not to look at all my options

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
On that gsgad site, the only subs which they sell and which are worth considering are the Dayton UM18 and the RSS460. Most of the others are pro audio drivers which don't dig down to real infrasonic frequencies.
Really, you can get any of the drivers they have on their performance chart, but you are correct. The ones that have the highest cone excursion would get my vote, and will once I decide to pull the trigger.

https://shop.gsgad.com/pages/performance-comparison-table

Plus, if @Danzilla31 decides to get one, I can demo before I buy :)

I'd be very interested to see what @shadyJ thinks about this DIY option. You could always go the alternative route like @NINaudio did and get the simple dayton box that will still get you excellent performance, but not lower than ~16hz from what he says.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Really, you can get any of the drivers they have on their performance chart, but you are correct. The ones that have the highest cone excursion would get my vote, and will once I decide to pull the trigger.

https://shop.gsgad.com/pages/performance-comparison-table

Plus, if @Danzilla31 decides to get one, I can demo before I buy :)

I'd be very interested to see what @shadyJ thinks about this DIY option. You could always go the alternative route like @NINaudio did and get the simple dayton box that will still get you excellent performance, but not lower than ~16hz from what he says.
I'm flat to 16 Hz in room, that's where it rolls off for me with the UM-18 flat pack. I need to get my FR graphs off my old laptop and post them up in my build thread.

C

Chocolatey MidsFan

Enthusiast
The only negative thing about the GSG Marty boxes is the shipping cost. The price of the flat packs themselves is very good but the shipping cost was to much for me.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The only negative thing about the GSG Marty boxes is the shipping cost. The price of the flat packs themselves is very good but the shipping cost was to much for me.
Yeah it wasn't cheap I can't blame them tho those are pretty Damn heavy for sure

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Totally agree, but when I think about the time I'll save not having to cut all those pieces myself, then it makes sense. It's also when I do decide to pull the trigger, there'll be 4 of them on the way. Save quite a bit by buying more than one at a time.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I'm flat to 16 Hz in room, that's where it rolls off for me with the UM-18 flat pack. I need to get my FR graphs off my old laptop and post them up in my build thread.
That'd be nice to see. 16hz is nothing to sneeze at, but I remember you saying that it got close to over-excursion on something that went down to 10hz or so.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
That'd be nice to see. 16hz is nothing to sneeze at, but I remember you saying that it got close to over-excursion on something that went down to 10hz or so.
Well, yeah, without any sort of protection, that will happen to most drivers at high levels!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What do you do with 30 pair of speakers? Open a museum? Or maybe it's a speaker re-coning shop? :p

Most of them just sit. I need to sell them off cheap (the ones that sit). Stuff like on Craigslist, a guy was selling a set of 5 Orb speakers (which I have some interest in as one-way "full range" speakers), with a Yamaha RX-V1700 AVR and Orb Uber-10 subwoofer for $300, all in very good shape! I can probably flip that without any loss, The sub is more stout than you would expect for a satellite system and has a high pass filter to take the bass off of the mains!
The speakers w/sub went for $1100 MSRP.
All of my speakers have their story, and the orbs are a good example. I would never use them for myself because they don't have the top end I would want (what can a 3" tweeter do?) although the S&V measurements don't look so bad as my ears say ... and I don't need the cool compact modern Orb look.
On the other hand, I have a large bonus room above the garage (that is now called the speaker room) and it is no where near full! :p

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis