Help with right amplifier for passive subs

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well I'm ending up with 4 subs right?

I have 4 outputs from the anthem 2 unbalanced rca and 2 xlr

So I was planning on using the 2 xlr for the back since the subs in the front already are wired for rca and then the 2 rca outputs for the front I don't want to run xlr runs up to the front through the attic

Am I making any sense I don't know if I'm supposed to use a splitter on the rca outputs I think the anthem Manuel doesn't recommend it

I hope I'm making sense here

Don't I have to connect each sub output to the mini dsp?
You have with the minidsp two sub inputs but I'd just use one pre-out on the processor and one input on the minidsp and use the minidsp from there to setup the two (three?) subs, then let your avr integrate as a single sub afterwards. Usual recommended way at least....or is there something about the integration with your Anthem that I'm not thinking about (not familiar with them particularly).

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure I like that its rackable lol it's why I'm asking I have no idea of its any good for what Id like to do its another noob question
Looks like it'd work, particularly on a rack but kinda pricey unless you're planning on six subs or tri-amping a pair of speakers or something down the line :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You have with the minidsp two sub inputs but I'd just use one pre-out on the processor and one input on the minidsp and use the minidsp from there to setup the two (three?) subs, then let your avr integrate as a single sub afterwards. Usual recommended way at least....or is there something about the integration with your Anthem that I'm not thinking about (not familiar with them particularly).
Ok so this noob is starting to understand

So what your saying is I can use one sub connection from the preamp output into one of the sub inputs on the mini dsp then connect the three subs to 3 of the mini dsp outputs basically sending that input signal to all 3 subs and the avr or pre amp will see them as one sub

Meanwhile I can tweak each sub output for each sub with the appropriate filters for each one but the preamp will still run the crossovers etc like it's just one sub

Am I finally beginning to understand it right?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like it'd work, particularly on a rack but kinda pricey unless you're planning on six subs or tri-amping a pair of speakers or something down the line :)
I also like how the Mackie the inputs are xlr I can just use the outputs on the preamp and go then to the xlr on the crown but I'm okay with either one especially the less money one
:D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I also like how the Mackie the inputs are xlr I can just use the outputs on the preamp and go then to the xlr on the crown but I'm okay with either one especially the less money one
Why the interest in xlr....are there long runs involved? Or you just want to use xlr? :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Why the interest in xlr....are there long runs involved? Or you just want to use xlr? :)
Eh I have xlr for outputs I might as well use em all of the amps will be in the rack so the runs won't be too long

Plus I'm worried that little mini dsp will just fall off I don't really have any place to set it so I like the idea of the dsp being rackable since I have that giant rack anyway

Hey I saw one I like better cheaper too

Either way this is all going to be a lot of fun

Thanks for your help

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I mounted a minidsp to a small plank and place it on the floor behind the rack to give it a stable position....wouldn't really fit on my rack either....as long as you can access it for computer/gear it doesn't really matter where it is.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Eh I have xlr for outputs I might as well use em all of the amps will be in the rack so the runs won't be too long

Plus I'm worried that little mini dsp will just fall off I don't really have any place to set it so I like the idea of the dsp being rackable since I have that giant rack anyway

Hey I saw one I like better cheaper too

Either way this is all going to be a lot of fun

Thanks for your help
You would need two of those. I once had one and it became defective. It was under warranty. As the authorized repair shop did not or could not repair it, I had to fight with Behringer to get a replacement which I received 3 months later. It wasn't easy to setup and I decided to sell it. That's another manufacturer with a poor after sales service.

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You would need two of those. I once had one and it became defective. It was under warranty. As the authorized repair shop did not or could not repair it, i had to fight with Behringer to get a replacement which I received 3 months later. It wasn't easy to setup and I decided to sell it. That's another manufacturer with a poor after sales service.
That's very helpful thank you and good to know

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Well good news boys I spoke at length with Shane at RBH and he was like dude your not going to need to worry about a high pass

These are dual 12's in a huge box with a deep tuned vent and really beefy drivers and at your volume levels nah

We've ran them before with no issues he was like just let er rip

And they'll warranty the drivers no matter what

So that really friggin simplifies things less money spent I can let the ave handle most of the stuff

I'll let you know when they get ordered

Once they're hear and we can hook up the crowns I'll get back on here so you guys can let me know if I'm doing it right

Super stoked I'll get back in here soon!!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well good news boys I spoke at length with Shane at RBH and he was like dude your not going to need to worry about a high pass

These are dual 12's in a huge box with a deep tuned vent and really beefy drivers and at your volume levels nah

We've ran them before with no issues he was like just let er rip

And they'll warranty the drivers no matter what

So that really friggin simplifies things less money spent I can let the ave handle most of the stuff

I'll let you know when they get ordered

Once they're hear and we can hook up the crowns I'll get back on here so you guys can let me know if I'm doing it right

Super stoked I'll get back in here soon!!!!
Yeah those wimpy volume levels you like. :) Good to hear, tho. Hope he's fully behind this advice, tho when you try max volume on Edge of Tomorrow?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah those wimpy volume levels you like. :) Good to hear, tho. Hope he's fully behind this advice, tho when you try max volume on Edge of Tomorrow?
There is no way I'd ever try max volume on those even with a limiter on them for that Damn scene

SVS subs are pretty hard to break and that movie scares the poop ought of me with that scene even with those bad boys rolling off at even when not at max volume!!!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
There is no way I'd ever try max volume on those even with a limiter on them for that Damn scene

SVS subs are pretty hard to break and that movie scares the poop ought of me with that scene even with those bad boys rolling off at even when not at max volume!!!

I wonder how the Master and Commander film compares in bass output with Edge of Tomorrow. It has a lot of cannon firing noise. Would you also have it for comparison?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder how the Master and Commander film compares in bass output with Edge of Tomorrow. It has a lot of cannon firing noise. Would you also have it for comparison?
I have the newer one the one where they cut off some off the lfe on that

You know one that has a great cannon fire scene is the magnificent seven with Denzel Washington

The cannon fire at the beginning is totally badass

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You know Dan, I don't know if you'll notice any big differences as far as sq goes with this plan, but I get what you're going for. Are you handy with tools and a little bit of wood working? I think you're a great candidate for diy. Just keep the SVS' while you work on your project until it's done. Take your time with it and have some fun.

I suggest this because I'm noticing that you seem to get bored every couple months and look for more stuff to upgrade. I think building your own would be more satisfying, and you'd be more inclined to want to keep them, having built them yourself.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
You know Dan, I don't know if you'll notice any big differences as far as sq goes with this plan, but I get what you're going for. Are you handy with tools and a little bit of wood working? I think you're a great candidate for diy. Just keep the SVS' while you work on your project until it's done. Take your time with it and have some fun.

I suggest this because I'm noticing that you seem to get bored every couple months and look for more stuff to upgrade. I think building your own would be more satisfying, and you'd be more inclined to want to keep them, having built them yourself.
I would except for a couple reasons
1 I suck at building stuff absolutely suck
2 my job Is very intense I just don't have the energy when I'm out of work
3 I need very nice looking passive subs RBH fits that bill they look better then the SVS

And finally after experiencing the RBH I own already a few of those will be my forever subs

The 1212 PR smashes both SVS PB 4000's combined it'll outperform the PB 16 so 3 to 4 of those in the theater will be all I want

The theater room will be end game moves my next speakers will be my last in that room it's between JTR and JBL that won't happen for a bit though I love the Studio 5's

Where your really spot on with that assessment is my other system in the bedroom but it's not really boredom

I just like flipping stuff and experiencing something new I only have so much time in life as do we all and my ears aren't getting any younger so I want to hear as many speakers and gear as I can

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis