Help with right amplifier for passive subs

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Hey guys I'm planning on selling my SVS subs and going passive in the theater.

Tired of plate amps in the subs

Am going with RBH passive subs I need powerful subs but since they will be out in the open they need a really nice look I don't have the skill set or time to do that

I'd prefer to have the mini dsp baked into the amps I'm going to buy. I don't want to run a mini dsp in that system RBH can give me all the info I need to eq the amp to get the new subs to match the RBH SV-1212 PR in response exactly that I'm keeping

So I'd like to buy amps I can put in the rack plug into my prepro let the prepro do distance settings crossovers etc and let the amp do the eq and power and your done

plug in the settings and just go

I own crown xls 2 series amps but from what I understand they don't have the proper dsp they can set crossovers and that's it

What do you guys recommend for amps for the RBH 1212 N series they can handle 1000 watts RMS easily into 4ohms they will be setup close behind my back row

I can find crown xti 1000 for cheap but are there better suggestions out there?

I figure nobody would know better then our DIY crowd it's why I posted here if I'm in the wrong place I apologize and will move the post

Thanks! Dan

20200307_172746.jpg

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I would recommend the Crown XLS 1502. It's very affordable and has a DSP feature. It runs cool and you can't hear its fan. Several members here are very satisfied with its performance:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I would recommend the Crown XLS 1502. It's very affordable and has a DSP feature. It runs cool and you can't hear its fan. Several members here are very satisfied with its performance:

Hey thanks for helping

I actually own 2 of the crown 1502 does the dsp have the necessary features I'd need to set a low pass filter

From what I understand you need one to keep the subs from bottoming out since they're ported

This is new to me so any info is helpful

Id prefer the 1502 due to the fact why but new amps if you don't need to save some coin

Thanks again

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I've been running the 1502 in stereo mode since they're driving my bedroom speakers

So I'm not familiar with the dsp capabilities I don't know what it can or can't do

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
iNuke NX6000D?
I've heard good things about that one I understand you need to do a simple mod on the fans correct? the rack is not separate from the room but that shouldn't be too hard to do if I pick that one

Thanks!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I've been running the 1502 in stereo mode since they're driving my bedroom speakers

So I'm not familiar with the dsp capabilities I don't know what it can or can't do
@lovinthehd is using some Crown XLS series amps with his subwoofer(s). I'm sure he will be pleased to inform you about his experience. :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

Oh snap it does have band pass filter on each channel I saw it in your link

That's what I need right? Man I'm stuck on stupid

Thanks again

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
@lovinthehd is using some with his subwoofer(s). I'm sure he will be pleased to inform you about his experience. :)
I believe he mentioned to me that I might need an amp with more dsp to match thev3 subs but if all I really need is a band pass filter I'm okay with that

Eventually I'm going for 4 subs in there anyway so I have a feeling most things will smooth themselves out (hopefully)

I'll contact crown and see what they say as well

Thanks again !

And keep the info coming fellas Lol

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
From what I understand you need one to keep the subs from bottoming out since they're ported

This is new to me so any info is helpful
All ported woofers or subs won't bottom out if they are not driven at frequencies below the box tuning frequency. The driver manufacturer's specs should give you the frequency range over which they are designed to efficiently perform.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
All ported woofers or subs won't bottom out if they are not driven at frequencies below the box tuning frequency. The driver manufacturer's specs should give you the frequency range over which they are designed to efficiently perform.
Really super helpful to know thanks!!!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If RBH or any serious reviewer publishes the impedance curve on the subs, you can see the box tuning frequency which is at the lowest impedance dip between the two huge peaks. Otherwise, if you own the Dayton DATS software, it would be easy for you to get your answer.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Really you should only need a high pass filter and not a low pass, as that is in your receiver. So you don't want to stack them. So the only one you might need is the high pass to stop woofer bottoming.

Honestly though I don't know what people do with their subs. I'm yet to bottom a driver even pushing the rig hard. That includes my 10" in wall sub.

I have a hard time getting my mind round what people are doing with their subs. I have never had the need of a high pass filter on an LF driver.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Really you should only need a high pass filter and not a low pass, as that is in your receiver. So you don't want to stack them. So the only one you might need is the high pass to stop woofer bottoming.

Honestly though I don't know what people do with their subs. I'm yet to bottom a driver even pushing the rig hard. That includes my 10" in wall sub.

I have a hard time getting my mind round what people are doing with their subs. I have never had the need of a high pass filter on an LF driver.
Hey thanks so much for the input

These are just beasts with dual 12 inch drivers and a deep tuned box

So if I understand you correctly because with 3 or 4 of them in there and the fact these 2 will be placed close behind the seating I know for a fact I'm probably not even coming close to maxing the 1212 PR and I doubght I'd be close to it with the 2 new ones even less so

That a high pass filter may not really even be necessary unless your outrageously trying to drive these things at reference levels which I'm not

I like great sound at lower volumes which is why I like big speakers and big subs so I'm usually at 15 to 12 below reference maybe 10 if I'm really feeling froggy

I've never been able to drive this system even close to reference in the theater room My ears wouldn't handle it

Thanks for the info!

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
The lowest you can set the high pass on the Crown XLS series is 30 Hz.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah the Crown XLS doesn't have a low enough HPF to be effective for at least HT sub protection below tuning (believe 30 is the lowest the 2nd gen offers....and NIN just confirmed that), a minidsp 2x4HD would be one way to go, or use an amp that has such dsp built in (like some pricier Crowns offer, or maybe something from Behringer).

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I can’t recall, but the XLS has 5 bands of EQ, and if you use one for a a shelf filter, you can extend the 30hz high pass to 20hz or so, no?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can’t recall, but the XLS has 5 bands of EQ, and if you use one for a a shelf filter, you can extend the 30hz high pass to 20hz or so, no?
There's no EQ in the XLS amps either gen 1 or 2....

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The lowest you can set the high pass on the Crown XLS series is 30 Hz.
Yeah I just found that out Lol after talking with you guys I starting running through the menu and found everything

I'll contact RBH and see what they say I'll need to set everything up on.

Honestly I'd rather not put any filter on it at all and just let her rip but I'm gathering from you guys that is probably NOT a good idea

So I'll see what they recommend

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah the Crown XLS doesn't have a low enough HPF to be effective for at least HT sub protection below tuning (believe 30 is the lowest the 2nd gen offers....and NIN just confirmed that), a minidsp 2x4HD would be one way to go, or use an amp that has such dsp built in (like some pricier Crowns offer, or maybe something from Behringer).
Yeah I really don't want to have to get a mini dsp Id like to keep my connections as simple as possible back there considering I'll be using 2 XLR and 2 unbalanced outputs on the anthem avm 60

Id just rather plug them in and have the things I need baked into the amp

I'd really just like to let her rip and say screw all this honestly but I don't want to come crying to you guys if I blow something up Lol

Okay Wooohooo if the crown xls won't give me what I need what amps do you recommend I check out then?

Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis