Help with right amplifier for passive subs

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I would except for a couple reasons
1 I suck at building stuff absolutely suck
2 my job Is very intense I just don't have the energy when I'm out of work
3 I need very nice looking passive subs RBH fits that bill they look better then the SVS

And finally after experiencing the RBH I own already a few of those will be my forever subs

The 1212 PR smashes both SVS PB 4000's combined it'll outperform the PB 16 so 3 to 4 of those in the theater will be all I want

The theater room will be end game moves my next speakers will be my last in that room it's between JTR and JBL that won't happen for a bit though I love the Studio 5's

Where your really spot on with that assessment is my other system in the bedroom but it's not really boredom

I just like flipping stuff and experiencing something new I only have so much time in life as do we all and my ears aren't getting any younger so I want to hear as many speakers and gear as I can
I gotcha. Not that there's anything "wrong" with your approach. Just tossing a suggestion out.

Yeah, the 1212s are beasts. That'd be my choice for passive also. You're definitely not going backward!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I gotcha. Not that there's anything "wrong" with your approach. Just tossing a suggestion out.

Yeah, the 1212s are beasts. That'd be my choice for passive also. You're definitely not going backward!
I do want to get into DIY but after I retire I use to never see myself retiring but know I can thanks to this hobby

I'd just build speakers all damn day Lol

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
You know Dan, I don't know if you'll notice any big differences as far as sq goes with this plan, but I get what you're going for. Are you handy with tools and a little bit of wood working? I think you're a great candidate for diy. Just keep the SVS' while you work on your project until it's done. Take your time with it and have some fun.

I suggest this because I'm noticing that you seem to get bored every couple months and look for more stuff to upgrade. I think building your own would be more satisfying, and you'd be more inclined to want to keep them, having built them yourself.
He likes to flip stuff. It took me a while to see that too. I don’t think he is “missing” anything in his sound setup.

Overkill or not, he has a passion for audio and I like hear about his adventures. :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
He likes to flip stuff. It took me a while to see that too. I don’t think he is “missing” anything in his sound setup.

Overkill or not, he has a passion for audio and I like hear about his adventures. :)
Hey, I'm not judging. Have you seen my "Are These Finds Good Deals" thread? I have a whole room full of spare speakers I don't use right now, lol.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Hey, I'm not judging. Have you seen my "Are These Finds Good Deals" thread? I have a room full of speakers I don't use right now, lol.
Ya I have a hard time getting rid of anything. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Well good news boys I spoke at length with Shane at RBH and he was like dude your not going to need to worry about a high pass

And they'll warranty the drivers no matter what
Are you sure? I can't imagine anyone saying "no matter what" after they spoke with you "at length"!

:D

Free replacement drivers no matter what!!!
What was it Jay Leno used to say about Doritos?
"Eat all you want, we'll make more!"

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well good news boys I spoke at length with Shane at RBH and he was like dude your not going to need to worry about a high pass

These are dual 12's in a huge box with a deep tuned vent and really beefy drivers and at your volume levels nah

We've ran them before with no issues he was like just let er rip

And they'll warranty the drivers no matter what

So that really friggin simplifies things less money spent I can let the ave handle most of the stuff
Yeah, I've never used a high pass filter on any of my RBH 1010N subs; the Yamaha CX-A5100 controls the sub volume level and Parametric EQ, and the ATI AT2005 amp powers the 1010N subs.

The 1212N subs can handle a lot more than the smaller 1010N subs.

So yeah, my subs get a better amp than most people's main speakers (including mine). :p

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I do want to get into DIY but after I retire I use to never see myself retiring but know I can thanks to this hobby

I'd just build speakers all damn day Lol
I remember this one time when I was teaching this pharmacy student who was into DIY - building his own subs and speakers.

I asked him why he would spend that much time with DIY. He said because it saved him a lot of money.

I said to him, "Well, now you can work some extra pharmacy shifts and just buy them. Then you can spend all your time enjoying the movies and music with your family and friends, instead of inside your garage all the time." :D

He's now one of the pharmacists at our hospital. And no, he no longer builds his own speakers and subs. :D

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
What do you do with 30 pair of speakers? Open a museum? Or maybe it's a speaker re-coning shop? :p

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
@Danzilla31 You could always go nuts and get some full marty subs built by a local cabinet maker. They'd come out very nice looking and be able to rattle your house apart.

https://shop.gsgad.com/
On that gsgad site, the only subs which they sell and which are worth considering are the Dayton UM18 and the RSS460. Most of the others are pro audio drivers which don't dig down to real infrasonic frequencies.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis