help on a new system

A

alain93

Enthusiast
not talking to you, it's for the OP, I know you know everything.
it's nice to see in the video what 1 watt is, the host has to speak pretty loud to overcome the music at 1 watt.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
not talking to you, it's for the OP, I know you know everything.
it's nice to see in the video what 1 watt is, the host has to speak pretty loud to overcome the music at 1 watt.
LOL. Made me watch some of it. Takes him forever to get to the point, I lost patience, tho. Yes with some speakers certainly 1 watt can be quite loud. So what sensitivity speakers was he using in that one?

CajunLB

CajunLB

Senior Audioholic
Like I said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

Speakers don't often "fry". You can feed them excessive power and damage them, but judicious use of the volume control will usually alleviate that concern (if it sounds bad turn it down). Not sure what you mean about right power specs. Keep in mind an amp spec isn't a maximum necessarily, most often it is specified for a maximum without exceeding a specified amount of distortion....but they can exceed that. With the receiver you have it is doubtful you have anything to worry about. What are the speakers you are planning to use?

The speaker wiring would be from receiver speaker terminals to both the sub and the speakers simultaneously (the sub will take the stereo inputs and sum it to mono). Some subs have an extra set of output terminals to the speakers for some flexibility like this pic I plucked off the 'net:

View attachment 41449
My Outlaw LFM plus subwoofer has speaker level in and outs like shown above.I’m not sure if their new subwoofers offer them.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan

With just 4 speaker connections, can I run a split from receiver to speaker, receiver to sub?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
My bad. Looks like I can go from sub to speaker.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
I have no idea what you see in the old gear to pay that much for a 40 year old receiver. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, eh?

A doubling of power would translate to 3dB additional spl. Not much. The older receivers often had facility for adding external amps, tho.

High 80s or low 90s for sensitivity (@ 2.83V/1m basis) are generally considered higher sensitivity. Really high sensitivity would be in the 100s. Some using low power amps do chase the 100s. Don't forget about impedance load either....you're probably better off with 8 ohm rated speakers than 4 for example...
I'm with you... I just don't get this. I understand personal preference and asthetic but this just seems like we're stuck on a "cool sounding idea" maybe..?

If I had that much room and my druthers about me, I'd get some Klipsch RF 7 III's, or even Forte III. The Forte have the older look. Sorta.

LMAO but my whole M. O. tends to prefer Klipsch and BIG speakers. Still, I'd connect these to my simple NR1200, or even my older Onkyo 2 ch, and forget the sub entirely. That would save me $. But if I had more, I'd get a better source obviously.

Hell I seriously think about doing this even now on my current budget. I just don't care a room big enough..!

EDIT :

OK, so I just looked at your speakers and clearly I missunderstood. I thought you wrote that you were looking at floorstanding speakers in a large room. But those Sony speakers are making me think I wasted your time.

Last edited:
I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic

With just 4 speaker connections, can I run a split from receiver to speaker, receiver to sub?
Just my last 2 cents on this. I truly believe you're limiting yourself using this, for your original source equipment. There are just so many better options. All built with current, better tech and features (and connections!)

If it was me, I'd think long and hard about what's more important. The look or the sound. If you really come down on the side of "the look" then it really gets much easier. But any decent new speakers, and that's basically the best outcome you can hope for. IMO.

(Just FYI, I haven't finished reading all the posts so if you've heard this a dozen more times already, I apologize)

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Just my last 2 cents on this. I truly believe you're limiting yourself using this, for your original source equipment. There are just so many better options. All built with current, better tech and features (and connections!)

If it was me, I'd think long and hard about what's more important. The look or the sound. If you really come down on the side of "the look" then it really gets much easier. But any decent new speakers, and that's basically the best outcome you can hope for. IMO.

(Just FYI, I haven't finished reading all the posts so if you've heard this a dozen more times already, I apologize)
Yeah I'm not sure what I was thinking along with the Sony speakers too. I'm probably leaning towards a more uptodate receiver with maybe the Dayton 442s and sub. Keep in my mind my budget is really low so these $500 per box options are nada.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Yeah I'm not sure what I was thinking along with the Sony speakers too. I'm probably leaning towards a more uptodate receiver with maybe the Dayton 442s and sub. Keep in my mind my budget is really low so these $500 per box options are nada.
Well, I'm. Not sure I saw where you posted your budget, and I'm not sure where you are located but right now Klipsch is having thier annual 50% off sale. You can get some really good decent speakers on sale.

The RP 600M are under $500. Which is a steal. Even folks here who aren't Klipsch fans will tell you this is a good speaker.

Again though, I'm not really sure I know where your head is on speakers. I thought I read in your OP you wanted to upgrade to Floorstanding (also currently on sale) but then every thing posted after appears like you're after Bookshelf speakers.

I think I was so locked in by the choice of keeping your older looking/clsssic asthetic, that I lost track of your speaker preferences. So I think you'll get a good many options/referrals here, but I'm personally not 100% on your budget or speaker preference.

No one here, I think, will dump on you for your choices, but everyone will try and steer you clear of obvious mistakes or potential problems. Just have to be sure what you're thinking about.

If you've landed on these speakers because of the price, I'm not sure how many here have speakers that are $100 a pair. Which is why your suggestions coming in are a bit more pricy. If your budget is locked, in that area, I'd look long and hard at a better brand that's having a big sale. Like the Klipsch.

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Well, I'm. Not sure I saw where you posted your budget, and I'm not sure where you are located but right now Klipsch is having thier annual 50% off sale. You can get some really good decent speakers on sale.

The RP 600M are under $500. Which is a steal. Even folks here who aren't Klipsch fans will tell you this is a good speaker.

Again though, I'm not really sure I know where your head is on speakers. I thought I read in your OP you wanted to upgrade to Floorstanding (also currently on sale) but then every thing posted after appears like you're after Bookshelf speakers.

I think I was so locked in by the choice of keeping your older looking/clsssic asthetic, that I lost track of your speaker preferences. So I think you'll get a good many options/referrals here, but I'm personally not 100% on your budget or speaker preference.

No one here, I think, will dump on you for your choices, but everyone will try and steer you clear of obvious mistakes or potential problems. Just have to be sure what you're thinking about.
I bought those Sony 3-ways for $30, but again WTF was I thinking. It's a mid-sized.
I can get a used receiver for nothing, the Dayton 442 towers for not much more than $100 a piece and a $70 monoprice sub. Sure, not sonically wonderful, but suffice. Or I can connect together what I have and see what happens. I really do love that grille though. Buy some ice blue lights...
Really though I'm not for certain except the technics turntable. Food to ponder.....

A

alain93

Enthusiast
Dude#, you should go to Avsforum or AudioKarma instead, here it's mainly home theater, that's mean newer equipment.
Avsforum has a nice 2 channel Audio forum, Audiokarma deals more with older equipment.
Don't forget you can get nice speakers on craigslist or facebook market.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
See now I'm confused again. I looked up this Dayton 442 and it's a Bookshelf, but you call it a tower..? So you must be meaning the 442T, which means you do definitely want Floorstanding speakers.

So... Hehe, I'll be honest, I'm not sure I can recommend those, I don't know anything about them. And I'm not sure many of the big minds here do either. We're talking very, VERY entry level here. Think I'd personally still try for something a bit better. If you could get to $350 or so, a few more options are available.

Just try to remember... Folks recommend what they know and this is an audio enthusiast/audiophile forum. Can't say how many people here shop in the range you're looking at. Which isn't meant as a dig, or anything. Just meaning why it can be difficult to get in your ballpark to make a referral. Which is why I made the $350 comment. Maybe you CAN'T get there, but if you could, at least I'd be more able to talk about a speaker I know better.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Keep in mind these older units had more like one pair of speakers at a time in mind for the A/B speaker connections. If you run them simultaneously with two pair of speakers you have to keep total impedance load in mind (so two pair of 4 ohm speakers could be an issue). You could use the "B" terminals for the high input levels on the sub, tho (or share them with A, the high level inputs on a sub do not have the load passive speakers would).

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
See now I'm confused again. I looked up this Dayton 442 and it's a Bookshelf, but you call it a tower..? So you must be meaning the 442T, which means you do definitely want Floorstanding speakers.

So... Hehe, I'll be honest, I'm not sure I can recommend those, I don't know anything about them. And I'm not sure many of the big minds here do either. We're talking very, VERY entry level here. Think I'd personally still try for something a bit better. If you could get to $350 or so, a few more options are available.

Just DVD to remember... Folks recommend what they know and this is an audio enthusiast/audiophile forum. Can't say how many people here shop in the range you're looking at. Which isn't meant as a dig, or anything. Just meaning why it can be difficult to get in your ballpark to make a referral. Which is why I made the $350 comment. Maybe you CAN'T get there, but if you could, at least I'd be more able to talk about a speaker I know better.
It's the 442T towers. I'm not in any rush since I just dropped enough on what I have currently. I think it's best to hook up what I have an go from there. Worst case I can keep the receiver and use it as my isolated tuner and get rid of my 15 year old Sharp.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Keep in mind these older units had more like one pair of speakers at a time in mind for the A/B speaker connections. If you run them simultaneously with two pair of speakers you have to keep total impedance load in mind (so two pair of 4 ohm speakers could be an issue). You could use the "B" terminals for the high input levels on the sub, tho (or share them with A, the high level inputs on a sub do not have the load passive speakers would).
It would be just the sub and one pair of speakers. I think with the Dayton you can go from receiver>sub>speakers. But correct me if I'm wrong. The speakers have an 8 ohm.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It would be just the sub and one pair of speakers. I think with the Dayton you can go from receiver>sub>speakers. But correct me if I'm wrong. The speakers have an 8 ohm.
With a sub amp that has both in and out high level terminals you can do that, otherwise you could use wires from the B terminals just to the sub, too. Or split to speakers/sub from A alone.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Just DVD to remember... Folks recommend what they know and this is an audio enthusiast/audiophile forum. Can't say how many people here shop in the range you're looking at. Which isn't meant as a dig, or anything. Just meaning why it can be difficult to get in your ballpark to make a referral. Which is why I made the $350 comment. Maybe you CAN'T get there, but if you could, at least I'd be more able to talk about a speaker I know better.
The 442T towers are very good for the price. As long as you don't expect a speaker that can get extremely loud, they do sound good. A pair of those with any modern AVR would be a nice, enjoyable sound system. I reviewed a pair, and I liked them so much that I had my dad get a pair when he was looking for something that could improve the sound of his TV setup.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Go soundbar if your budget is low , this amp probably more for music .
Im not sure why he paid so much for such an old amplifier I wonder if it’s worth $200...
He could use it with older TVs but new ones don’t have red & white audio inputs .
I got a 6.1 Yamaha for $50 plus 5 speakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The 442T towers are very good for the price. As long as you don't expect a speaker that can get extremely loud, they do sound good. A pair of those with any modern AVR would be a nice, enjoyable sound system. I reviewed a pair, and I liked them so much that I had my dad get a pair when he was looking for something that could improve the sound of his TV setup.
Love my 442T’s. Use two pair and a 442 for the center channel. They get loud enough and watching those little drivers bounce when playing music alwsys makes me laugh.:p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis