help on a new system

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I own some bookshelf speakers which are dedicated to my computer. However.....

1. I've decided to look into low-end floor speakers for my open space living area which is roughly 30X30. Listening classic rock, some classical, and film scores.
2. A turntable which probably will be an older one like a Technics or something a little more retro/antique looking.
3. An older receiver with knobs and needles with a colorful dash. I'm not against knew if it performs better but still has that "look."
4. I'd say a CD player but what I'm really after is something along the lines of a drive or something that holds my music collection so I'm only using the CD's to rip them. I'm not sure what that would be?
5. Obviously a subwoofer if the bass isn't enough on the speakers.

Note that I'm looking to do a lot of this cheaply if possible via craigslist etc. The speaker and maybe subwoofer are going to have to be current.

Edit: I'm not looking to make this a home theatre system.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So this is some sort of mood type thing with old gear? Kinda weird but seems a lot of folk think its cool these days. I had it at the time, prefer the newer stuff myself, rarely bother playing vinyl.

I dunno, that cd player let alone a hard drive, is too modern to go with an old tt and analog receiver.... ;) So plan on a dac as well for that old receiver most likely, particularly for a drive that won't have a built in dac like a cd player might have.

Good sale on JBL Studio 590s at the moment, they'd be a good start without a sub (but I do support mine with subs) https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+590.html

Your budget and where you are and luck of the draw will dictate most of what you're going to find on the local used market generally, tho.

Good luck....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, if you want 2ch stereo sound, then two would be appropriate. Some use three across for L/C/R but then that would be more a home theater or multichannel music use....

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Am I going backwards by using an older receiver, or can they be tweaked?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Am I going backwards by using an older receiver, or can they be tweaked?
Old receivers can work, depending what you want to use them for. Maybe fine for a simple 2ch setup. They're not magic, tho. They may need service, sooner than later (and if you buy one that has been refurbished that tends to take any "bargain" out of the picture). They can be more repairable than some new units perhaps, if you can find someone still working on such but then there's the expense of the repairs. They tend to be analog only so to use digital media with they're going to need help. Do you even use AM or FM radio any more? They're popular to some degree due to hands-on knob feel and glowy lights that is nostalgic to some, I suppose somewhat like vinyl....touchy feely experience that some miss with digital media.

OTOH I have no idea what you mean by tweaked.....

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Turntables

Floorstand

Subwoofer (you'll need multiple subs to fill that space)

Last edited:
D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Old receivers can work, depending what you want to use them for. Maybe fine for a simple 2ch setup. They're not magic, tho. They may need service, sooner than later (and if you buy one that has been refurbished that tends to take any "bargain" out of the picture). They can be more repairable than some new units perhaps, if you can find someone still working on such but then there's the expense of the repairs. They tend to be analog only so to use digital media with they're going to need help. Do you even use AM or FM radio any more? They're popular to some degree due to hands-on knob feel and glowy lights that is nostalgic to some, I suppose somewhat like vinyl....touchy feely experience that some miss with digital media.

OTOH I have no idea what you mean by tweaked.....
Tweaked like I can improve the quality of the receiver. Not sure if that's possible.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I may be better off finding something newer with a nostalgic look. I use AM/FM a little bit but not a lot anymore.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Is putting your vinyl onto the hard drive a good idea, or will it compress the sound making the whole vinyl experience mute? USB connections and a preamp with the turntable are nice, but I wonder.....

Or simply playing the vinyl through my desktop speakers?

A

alain93

Enthusiast
It's what I did during the confinement. Before that, I got a old Dual turn table from my dad. In July, I got a nice Pioneer sx650 from ebay for $80, cleaned it, fixed some knobs, replace the cheap wood with walnut.
You should check FB marketplace too, there are more deals than Craigslist, at least in my area. I just got some floorstanding ksf8. 5 for $50.
Also I made a Moode streamer with a raspberry pi and dac, to stream from pc or Spotify.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is putting your vinyl onto the hard drive a good idea, or will it compress the sound making the whole vinyl experience mute? USB connections and a preamp with the turntable are nice, but I wonder.....

Or simply playing the vinyl through my desktop speakers?
If you want easier playback in the future that's one way to go, altho the process of digitizing it can be tedious (but can be done relatively easily with a usb phono stage and Audacity software). It will be an identical copy to the vinyl, i.e. still will have the shortcomings of vinyl like surface noise altho there are some filters you can employ to reduce such.

An older integrated amp (i.e. a receiver without a tuner) may suffice too rather than just receivers....altho a slightly different "look".

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Fyi went with a refurbed Technics SL3200 direct drive semi-automatic.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
If you want easier playback in the future that's one way to go, altho the process of digitizing it can be tedious (but can be done relatively easily with a usb phono stage and Audacity software). It will be an identical copy to the vinyl, i.e. still will have the shortcomings of vinyl like surface noise altho there are some filters you can employ to reduce such.

An older integrated amp (i.e. a receiver without a tuner) may suffice too rather than just receivers....altho a slightly different "look".
When you say tuner, what does that mean besides having AM/FM?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
When you say tuner, what does that mean besides having AM/FM?
Tuner is just that, a radio tuner, most commonly am/fm on older receivers, sometimes just fm. An integrated amp is just a one-box solution......then there are separates--- separate boxes for pre-amp and amplifier--which is another option for you perhaps. Sort of depends how many boxes you want for various functions....

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Tuner is just that, a radio tuner, most commonly am/fm on older receivers, sometimes just fm. An integrated amp is just a one-box solution......then there are separates--- separate boxes for pre-amp and amplifier--which is another option for you perhaps. Sort of depends how many boxes you want for various functions....
I'm a bit confused. If I want to attach my tabletop to subwoofers and speaker, what else do you recommend. Receiver and amplifier?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis