help on a new system

T

txbonds

Full Audioholic
Not cheap, but looks vintage and has needles and covers 2 channel stereo.

A

alain93

Enthusiast
I'm a bit confused. If I want to attach my tabletop to subwoofers and speaker, what else do you recommend. Receiver and amplifier?
Receiver or integrated amp will work. You need to check on the back and see if they have a phono input or the front, look if you see a phono selection knob.
Lovinthhd was talking about amplifier alone, like it's name indicate, it's just an amp, it only has an input for a pre-amp, that has all the input needed and controls like volume. It's 2 different boxes, from there, you can add the pre-amp, your turntable, your tuner(am/fm) and other auxiliary components. But Amp/pre-am is less commun.
I posted earlier what you should look for if you want vintage stuff from the late 70s.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm a bit confused. If I want to attach my tabletop to subwoofers and speaker, what else do you recommend. Receiver and amplifier?
Tabletop? Turntable? What one do you have?

For using subs modern avrs have bass management, old 2ch gear generally does not. Some subs have some bass management built in, most do not and only provide a low pass filter. A receiver and an amplifier is possible but probably not necessary as the amp built into the receiver will generally be fine.

A receiver is, in one box: tuner, pre-amp, amp
An integrated amp is, in one box, a pre-amp and amp
Separates would be each unit in their own box, tuner, pre-amp, amp....

Most of the older 2ch gear will have an appropriate phono stage (i.e. phono pre-amp and RIAA eq) for a turntable, there will be two types of cartridges they can handle....magnetic or moving coil. The most common built in phono stages will accommodate a magnetic type. Some prefer a separate box for their phono stage. Some newer turntables come with their own phono stage (many modern receivers do not provide a phono stage built in).

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I'm sorry, meant turntable.
This is the receiver I bought. Is 16 watts per channel enough for my humble needs? The seller has a 3000 if I need to upgrade.

Edit: Looks like I undershot badly on the watts. Hmmm....I think that's where an amplifier comes in.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the speakers are relatively high sensitivity 16wpc might be okay, personally with amp power as cheap as it is I'd probably get something generally more useful, like 100wpc in a receiver. How much are the receivers you're looking at?

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Afraid I've already bought it. $200, but for $40 more I can get the g3000 with 26wpc, which doesn't sound worth it.

Should I be concerned about blowing something out? And can anything be done with the receiver I have? Probably not I assume.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Also when you talk about speaker sensitivity, what number and range should I be looking for?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have no idea what you see in the old gear to pay that much for a 40 year old receiver. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, eh?

A doubling of power would translate to 3dB additional spl. Not much. The older receivers often had facility for adding external amps, tho.

High 80s or low 90s for sensitivity (@ 2.83V/1m basis) are generally considered higher sensitivity. Really high sensitivity would be in the 100s. Some using low power amps do chase the 100s. Don't forget about impedance load either....you're probably better off with 8 ohm rated speakers than 4 for example...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just took a look at your receiver, it does not have facility for adding an external amp.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I have no idea what you see in the old gear to pay that much for a 40 year old receiver. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, eh?
It's called WOOPS!
Any chance with a sub if I'm not blasting it?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's called WOOPS!
Any chance with a sub if I'm not blasting it?
Those old 2ch units often aren't good for incorporating a sub, and the one you got doesn't have pre-outs of any kind nor even a processor loop. You could use an active sub (i.e. one with a built-in amp) with high level (i.e. speaker level) inputs, and the sub's low pass filter to "blend" it.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Those old 2ch units often aren't good for incorporating a sub, and the one you got doesn't have pre-outs of any kind nor even a processor loop. You could use an active sub (i.e. one with a built-in amp) with high level (i.e. speaker level) inputs, and the sub's low pass filter to "blend" it.
Pretty grille anyway hehehe...
Would it connect like receiver>active sub>speakers?
Also, does the speakers typically fry, or the receiver, when you don't have the right power specs?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Like I said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)

Speakers don't often "fry". You can feed them excessive power and damage them, but judicious use of the volume control will usually alleviate that concern (if it sounds bad turn it down). Not sure what you mean about right power specs. Keep in mind an amp spec isn't a maximum necessarily, most often it is specified for a maximum without exceeding a specified amount of distortion....but they can exceed that. With the receiver you have it is doubtful you have anything to worry about. What are the speakers you are planning to use?

The speaker wiring would be from receiver speaker terminals to both the sub and the speakers simultaneously (the sub will take the stereo inputs and sum it to mono). Some subs have an extra set of output terminals to the speakers for some flexibility like this pic I plucked off the 'net:

sub amp.jpg

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Speakers don't often "fry". You can feed them excessive power and damage them, but judicious use of the volume control will usually alleviate that concern (if it sounds bad turn it down). Not sure what you mean about right power specs.
That's good cause I'm stuck with the receiver I have. I'm sure down the line I'll try and find a vintage with more wpc. Or a newer one if the grille looks good to me.
Not sure what you mean about right power specs
My bad. I just meant power.
The speaker wiring would be from receiver speaker terminals to both the sub and the speakers simultaneously (the sub will take the stereo inputs and sum it to mono).
Ok, so receiver to sub, receiver to speaker.
With the receiver you have it is doubtful you have anything to worry about. What are the speakers you are planning to use?
If I upgrade the 305s I might swap them with the Sony's in the future.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Besides Hsu and SVS subs, are there any others with those features?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Besides Hsu and SVS subs, are there any others with those features?
Quite a few subs have the high level inputs but they're starting to go away as many do not connect their subs this way any more with the advent of modern equipment with bass management features via sub pre-outs. I don't look for this feature but of the commercial subs I've got (most are diy) only the oldest have high level inputs, the newer ones only have low level (line) inputs. I think there are quite a few that still offer high level inputs. Some subs can even provide some bass management via a high pass filter for the speakers, usually just a fixed one of 80 hz, tho. You need to look at manuals for each sub to see their capabilities generally, altho it might be in advertisement materials.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis