Has Dolby Home Atmos Been a Step Forward for Home Audio?

Do you think Dolby's Home Atmos hasbeen a positive move on the whole for home audio?

• Yes, Home Atmos has been a move in the right direction.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Dolby's Home Atmos has overall been good for home audio but has some flaws.

Votes: 27 35.5%
  • Home Atmos has become a misbegotten mess for home audio.

Votes: 8 10.5%
  • I don't know what a Dolby Home Atmos is. Help, I am lost and scared!

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Dolby made Atmos to make money- as all companies do. The question is, does their product have merit? I won't go into that here, since I have already talked about that in the article, and everyone has to decide for themselves how much merit their product has. BUT Dolby was surely batting on the licensing fees they could accrue for using their new technology. That means speakers, processors, and sound mixes all giving a cut to Dolby for that little 'Atmos' logo on their products. Now I don't know that Dolby had their bouncey house speakers in mind when they first conceived of Atmos, but their chief aim from the get-go was to get the 'Atmos' logo on every piece of professional and consumer electronic gear as possible, and they have done a very good job in that respect. With that in mind, the answer to the question of whether Atmos was made to sell more speakers has to be unequivocal yes.
Good point. I forget that everything Dolby related is branded Atmos right now. My PC has a headphone upmixer I can buy branded Atmos. Seems that would cause confusion, but I'm guessing most people won't notice. Their marketing team has done well with the Atmos brand.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Are you saying that people who are mostly interested in playing music still go for a surround system?

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing a 2 channel system that could make me change my mind about Atmos. My system is pretty much only used for movies and streaming so I can't see that happening.
I've heard some serious high-end 2Ch systems (Focal Grand Utopia, KEF Blade, Salon2, etc.). No way in heck I would favor any 2Ch systems over a great HOME Atmos system.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Are you saying that people who are mostly interested in playing music still go for a surround system?

Anyway, I would be interested in hearing a 2 channel system that could make me change my mind about Atmos. My system is pretty much only used for movies and streaming so I can't see that happening.
I'm a different animal maybe in this regard, but I would be content if my system was strictly 2 channel.

Movies...I'm getting into them more, but if I had the choice...2 ch audio at the level I have, or an even more elaborate Atmos setup...I would take the 2 ch system every time.

I would be content with the TV audio on the movies. Music moves my soul.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've heard some serious high-end 2Ch systems (Focal Grand Utopia, KEF Blade, Salon2, etc.). No way in heck I would favor any 2Ch systems over a great HOME Atmos system.
I'd hateto give up multi-ch audio more than I would the surround sound movie audio, but I would take the premium 2 ch...I listen more than I watch.

D

DanTheMediaMan

Audiophyte
I have to distinct perspectives on Atmos currently. I really enjoy my 5.2.4 Atmos install and enjoy the benefits of the 4 height channels. However I think most of my upgrade came from better components and proper sound adsorbing materials. Plus I love having the center speaker behind the screen.

But I really don't like how Dolby allows the improper use of Dolby Atmos branding. Drives me nuts to see a cheap sound bar advertised as Atmos! It cheapens what Atmos should be.

C

Cdx

Audioholic Intern
I have to distinct perspectives on Atmos currently. I really enjoy my 5.2.4 Atmos install and enjoy the benefits of the 4 height channels. However I think most of my upgrade came from better components and proper sound adsorbing materials. Plus I love having the center speaker behind the screen.

But I really don't like how Dolby allows the improper use of Dolby Atmos branding. Drives me nuts to see a cheap sound bar advertised as Atmos! It cheapens what Atmos should be.
Apparently there are some sound bars that do a half decent job within it limited range of course. I wouldn't mind one of the better ones in my bedroom. But as I said before even a half decent Atmos setup will probably sound better than the equivalent sound bar without Atmos so why not? Atmos on mobile phones however, I just don't get that at all. That to me is 100% empty licensing dollars.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
True that the Atmos speakers need to be ABOVE your head and not sitting on a speaker shooting up in the air. :D

Not everyone can or will implement Atmos speakers just like not everyone will implement separates systems.

Are separates systems (Preamps, Amps, Integrated Amps) overall failure since most people don't "Implement" them?

It's a niche market just like Atmos/DTSX and 4K UHD Blu-Ray, which most people don't and won't "implement".
People may not implement separates because in many cases they might be superfluous. Why buy separates when you can almost get identical sound from an AVR at less expensive cost. If separates sounded dramatically better than AVR's at close to the cost, no one would buy AVR's.
For Atmos, I think the issue is AV gear or equipment. The issue is real estate. First of all if you are renter you might as well scratch Atmos off your list. I don't believe very many landlords would be down with you cutting holes in their ceilings and running wires through the crawlspace. So for someone considering Atmos, they should at least buy a home first.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
So what are you waiting for? Implement Auro3D for your system already! :D
There isn't any software support to give serious consideration to setting an Auro 3D system. However if that was to change, all you would have is add extra set surrounds on top of the bed surrounds, no need to cut holes in the ceilings. A person with an existing 5.1 or 7.1 could just add the additional sets of surrounds to their systems, which seems much easier to implement in the home than Dolby Atmos ceiling speakers approach. The VOG in Auro 3D is optional.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
People may not implement separates because in many cases they might be superfluous. Why buy separates when you can almost get identical sound from an AVR at less expensive cost. If separates sounded dramatically better than AVR's at close to the cost, no one would buy AVR's.
For Atmos, I think the issue is AV gear or equipment. The issue is real estate. First of all if you are renter you might as well scratch Atmos off your list. I don't believe very many landlords would be down with you cutting holes in their ceilings and running wires through the crawlspace. So for someone considering Atmos, they should at least buy a home first.
So in your opinion, Atmos is a failure because of poor logistics?

But it has nothing to do with the ACTUAL SOUND QUALITY since you've NEVER experienced a great HOME Atmos system.

But sometimes success has less to do with quality and more to do with logistics?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
There isn't any software support to give serious consideration to setting an Auro 3D system. However if that was to change, all you would have is add extra set surrounds on top of the bed surrounds, no need to cut holes in the ceilings. A person with an existing 5.1 or 7.1 could just add the additional sets of surrounds to their systems, which seems much easier to implement in the home than Dolby Atmos ceiling speakers approach. The VOG in Auro 3D is optional.
Wait. Have you ACTUALLY listened to a Home Auro3D system with absolutely NO OVERHEAD speakers?

How do you know that Auro3D will sound GREAT without any overhead speakers? Just based on theory? :D

Theoretically I don't think Atmos requires overhead speakers either. I don't think Object-base should require a fixed speaker location. But theory is one thing. Reality is another. :D

So how do you know for sure that Auro3D will sound any good without any overhead speakers?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well you can use the height locations. You don’t have to cut the ceiling up. Most speakers that you’d use for heights are pretty light so mounting would be easy. A little bit of putty and couple dabs of paint...back to normal.
It’s not all or nothing as you’ve implied.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don’t know exactly where to drop this in, so I guess it’s here!

I feel like there’s been an invisible fork that snuck into this conversation. Because I can’t believe that we’re seriously talking about a 2ch rig for watching films with Atmos tracks. I agree with you Andrew. I can’t imagine a 2ch rig that’s soooo good I’d give up my surround setup. I did not read the article above yet, but I do know the authors POV. Will go read now.

C

Cdx

Audioholic Intern
I don’t know exactly where to drop this in, so I guess it’s here!

I feel like there’s been an invisible fork that snuck into this conversation. Because I can’t believe that we’re seriously talking about a 2ch rig for watching films with Atmos tracks. I agree with you Andrew. I can’t imagine a 2ch rig that’s soooo good I’d give up my surround setup. I did not read the article above yet, but I do know the authors POV. Will go read now.
The article does kind of lend itself this this kind of "fork". Not so much it's content because there's nothing technically wrong. Just its general tone.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The article does kind of lend itself this this kind of "fork". Not so much it's content because there's nothing technically wrong. Just its general tone.
Two really good speakers will beat 5, 7 or 11 mediocre or poor speakers any day including movie watching.

C

Cdx

Audioholic Intern
Two really good speakers will beat 5, 7 or 11 mediocre or poor speakers any day including movie watching.
The problem with that statement is the definition of "mediocre" speakers. "Poor", I think we can take as a given. I don't think you can generalise like that because with Atmos creating a sound bubble the immersion can make up the difference. Add to that some height effects and it will sound "better" for immersing yourself into the film, even if the sound timbre isn't up to the same quality as a high end speaker.

This seems to be the Audioholics way which is fine because as enthusiasts we aim for the highest benchmark, but that's all it is for most of us, an aim, a goal.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Sorry Mark I’m gonna respectfully call this a difference of opinion!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I quit reading it. Sounded like auditor55 wrote it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Why bother with a multich system without good speakers, tho? Why compare to 2ch at all? Like me saying my multich system definitely is better than a sucky 2ch setup. Means little.

C

Cdx

Audioholic Intern
Audioholics priority is purity. My priority is entertainment :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis