Harman Kardon Beats Denon

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I'm happy with my PSB Image series, have a very decent turntable....a

dam you or bless you..I realized that I have to upgrade my DVD player but I want one unit that plays all, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu Ray, SACD, and DVD-A so I'm gonna sit this one out for a while waitimng for the prices to drop.

To get any noticeable improvent in sound, I would have to pay about 5 times as much money just for the speakers alone and I just don't have that kinda scratch available. So other than the Technics receiver and the DVD player, I'm all good.;)
I hear ya...

I'm happy with my speakers, but with Mini's as mains and Infinity's eveywhere else, well, ya know..... Waiting for the Mini HT wall speakers and center to come out.
Need a PS3..
An HDMI receiver to take full advantage of the PS3 visual and audio improvements.
A 1080p projector.
Butt Kickers..
Does it ever end?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
No joke .
there good for movies Maybe with some Hi eff. speaks , 2 channel they plain old Suck , Ball Less , they just plain out bottom out . I know you prob. use Subs to make up the diff. :) . They maybe made some good Ref. Amps in the late 70's , but i never heard one . I would take an old NAD 3155 over any Yammy , anyday , atleast when the music demands the power i know the Old NAD will deliver .
Jeje
I was serious Elvis , throw a Yammy into the mix , C what you think of there Amp sections .
I have to say I completely disagree. I have owned two Yamaha receivers, one was a bottom line receiver which the model number I can't recall and a HTR-5890, and it had a lot off "balls". It performed well for music and movies at reference levels and didn't crap out. And before you ask, I had used the HTR-5890 without a subwoofer a few times.;)

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
I have to say I completely disagree. I have owned two Yamaha receivers, one was a bottom line receiver which the model number I can't recall and a HTR-5890, and it had a lot off "balls". It performed well for music and movies at reference levels and didn't crap out. And before you ask, I had used the HTR-5890 without a subwoofer a few times.;)

Maybe he means that they have no balls to drive 2 ohm 82db speakers.
Or maybe that they don't have as many balls as a Krell amp.
I'd have to agree with that. But the same could be said for Denon, Pioneer or Onkyo receivers. I never understood why the "hi-fi" guys hate the Yamaha brand so much. Their just as powerfull as the rest of the receivers out there.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
oh sure!! mention the butt kickers

I hear ya...

I'm happy with my speakers, but with Mini's as mains and Infinity's eveywhere else, well, ya know..... Waiting for the Mini HT wall speakers and center to come out.
Need a PS3..
An HDMI receiver to take full advantage of the PS3 visual and audio improvements.
A 1080p projector.
Butt Kickers..
Does it ever end?
was perfectly content forgetting about them. *L* The only thing about them, wouldn't vibrating the couch, sofa or whatever you use to sit on, losen the joints in time and cause premature failure of the couch,sofa, etc?

gmichael

gmichael

Audioholic Spartan
was perfectly content forgetting about them. *L* The only thing about them, wouldn't vibrating the couch, sofa or whatever you use to sit on, losen the joints in time and cause premature failure of the couch,sofa, etc?
Oh sure, rain on my parade. Fine, no Buttkickers then. Maybe a second sub?
But, wouldn't my whole house begin to loosen?

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
Maybe he means that they have no balls to drive 2 ohm 82db speakers.
Or maybe that they don't have as many balls as a Krell amp.
I'd have to agree with that. But the same could be said for Denon, Pioneer or Onkyo receivers. I never understood why the "hi-fi" guys hate the Yamaha brand so much. Their just as powerfull as the rest of the receivers out there.
Nope mine are 6ohm 89db speakers :) ( thats why a Bryston ) . Just never liked them , compard a Yammy 85 x 2 receiver vs a Denon 40 x 2 intregated , same speaker and cd player . Denon won hands down .

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Nope mine are 6ohm 89db speakers :) ( thats why a Bryston ) . Just never liked them , compard a Yammy 85 x 2 receiver vs a Denon 40 x 2 intregated , same speaker and cd player . Denon won hands down .
Yes, most interesting testimonial, thanks. :D

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I have learned to look past power ratings for true power. The Denon is an integrated amp, and it should be beefier for it's intents and purposes (larger power supply with better drive capability for dynamics). Most Integrated amplifiers are built to be used with higher end speakers with low efficiency, but most importantly, unstable impedances. Comparing an Integrated amplifier's wattage to a receiver's is like comparing apples to oranges, the receivers tend to not be as conservative in their ratings to appeal to a certain audience.:)

matthewdclarkaz

matthewdclarkaz

Audioholic Intern
Oh sure, rain on my parade. Fine, no Buttkickers then. Maybe a second sub?
But, wouldn't my whole house begin to loosen?
I thought house/apt vibration to unsafe levels was a must have in home audio? THX requirement or something I thought...

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
I have learned to look past power ratings for true power. The Denon is an integrated amp, and it should be beefier for it's intents and purposes (larger power supply with better drive capability for dynamics). Most Integrated amplifiers are built to be used with higher end speakers with low efficiency, but most importantly, unstable impedances. Comparing an Integrated amplifier's wattage to a receiver's is like comparing apples to oranges, the receivers tend to not be as conservative in their ratings to appeal to a certain audience.:)
Well thats just the way it is , Y advertise if you cant deliver ?
Again Ball Less = Yammy .

T

technique

Audiophyte
AV receiver

Need help in purchasing a receiver for my Bose Accoustamass 6.1 speakers. Any suggestions? Want to get a good receiver withing budget for my home theater room. I converted a 2-car garage.

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
good grief.............:rolleyes:
Hummm
What does that mean ?
Do you buy into Lies ?:eek:
If a product doesnt even come close to what they say it does , its a lie . You can justify it any angle you want , but bottom line it didnt do what it was being sold to do .

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Hummm
What does that mean ?
Do you buy into Lies ?:eek:
If a product doesnt even come close to what they say it does , its a lie . You can justify it any angle you want , but bottom line it didnt do what it was being sold to do .
Like I said this is your opinion, DBTs and testing will find the truth.:)

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
Like I said this is your opinion, DBTs and testing will find the truth.:)
Hehe
You reasoned it out why the Denon beat the Yammy , yet the Yammy stated double the rms . Its to bad these ratings didnt have a common ground , the poor consumer is the one getting ripped off and they can't figure out why the NAD's , Brystons and all midfi is so expensive .
I know your Bais towards Yammy , thats great , go ahead , buy it :) . I personally would own a Denon , HK and NAD well before i play the Yammy game :) on my hard earned money .
I was at a Big early bird soundsaround sale in my home town and wonderd about how the Yammy Bar worked compared to the Polk Bar and talked to the Yammy rep. , then he ask me if i was interested in any other Yammy product , I told him " im not a big fan of Yammy power " , he looked back at me and smiled . He took no offence and didnt even try to defend his product .

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis