Harman Kardon Beats Denon

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
My ground is i heard the comparison :) . It was Live and personal , it was a great test to how the industy fools ppl. by propaganda :) .
This is my last post on this thread, regardless of how interesting it could become.;)

Wire, I understand that you believe that Yamaha is some how inferior to other brands, that's great for you and every company that isn't Yamaha. You mentioned the power supply, which is hilarious, because Denon and Yamaha dissipate about the same amount of heat at certain levels of output from the power supply, so even if they amplifiers in the Yamahas are inferior (NOT!) it isn't because of the power supply wasting energy.

There is no scientific argument you could pose to validate your theory (bias) of Yamaha. Bench tests, and DBT level matched tests can validate it, but you aren't even going to come close to doing that, so why even waste your time arguing for your cause. No one here is falling for it, it's now a dead horse and I for one am not going to beat that horse.

This thread is now a waste of everyone's time, congratulations on your "epic fail" thread.

A

AbyssalLoris

Audioholic
Is it dead? May I poke it with a stick and see?

We'd just got started with cars and refrigerators and all sorts of interesting stuff :(. Why're we killing it now? Desk-sitting, screen-staring souls like me could do with a little variety ;).

I gotta say, wire has been keeping it up and hasn't lost his composure despite a lot of disagreement. Dude, you're a pro! Even though I just bought a Yammy recently, his fact-free bashing hasn't annoyed me at all! It's all just pure, clean entertainment, I say.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have to agree why kill the link when nothing else is going on around here? Hey it is a nice change from BOSE bashing. I am going to join the Yammy bashing...Yamahas stink...they get too warm...they sound bright...they sound too laid back...they sound dull...they have no power...they dont last long....they are black...

Is it dead? May I poke it with a stick and see?

We'd just got started with cars and refrigerators and all sorts of interesting stuff :(. Why're we killing it now? Desk-sitting, screen-staring souls like me could do with a little variety ;).

I gotta say, wire has been keeping it up and hasn't lost his composure despite a lot of disagreement. Dude, you're a pro! Even though I just bought a Yammy recently, his fact-free bashing hasn't annoyed me at all! It's all just pure, clean entertainment, I say.

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
I have to agree why kill the link when nothing else is going on around here? Hey it is a nice change from BOSE bashing. I am going to join the Yammy bashing...Yamahas stink...they get too warm...they sound bright...they sound too laid back...they sound dull...they have no power...they dont last long....they are black...
ROTFLMFAO!:D:eek::D

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
You know Seth wants to get back into the thread now but he promised he wouldnt. I bet he is setting there shaking and sweating...

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well there was 4 of us that did the test , we put both through alot types of music , the conclusion was the same everytime , to all of us . The Denon was quite a nice piece vs the Yammy .
My point was that the conclusion of Yamaha being universally inferior was reached from an experience with a single piece of gear.

Would the conclusion have been the same if was a Bryston that performed the same?

You know Seth wants to get back into the thread now but he promised he wouldnt. I bet he is setting there shaking and sweating...
lol... I'm done now. :eek:

A

AbyssalLoris

Audioholic
I can already tell you what wire would say. He'd say the Bryston simply wouldn't do that.

A

AbyssalLoris

Audioholic
Ha! And to add insult to injury.. HKs are fragrant.. they are cool.. they sound dark.. they sound forward.. they sound interesting.. they are mighty.. they are eternal.. they are white (oops silver)!

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Nope mine are 6ohm 89db speakers :) ( thats why a Bryston ) . Just never liked them , compard a Yammy 85 x 2 receiver vs a Denon 40 x 2 intregated , same speaker and cd player . Denon won hands down .
I just had to go back and find out. Here it is. The comparison was between a 85x2 Yamaha receiver vs. a Denon 40x2 integrated amp.

Here is a Yamaha @ 90/2 in stereo mode for $168. Who in the hell is talking about a $170 receiver? Any $170 receiver wouldn't have balls. My lord.:rolleyes: http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=87430

I found a Denon 50x2 integrated amp for $3699.00. I don't think I need to explain any further.
http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Denon/product/Denon_PMA-S1_Pre-Main_Amplifier.html

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
I just had to go back and find out. Here it is. The comparison was between a 85x2 Yamaha receiver vs. a Denon 40x2 integrated amp.

Here is a Yamaha @ 90/2 in stereo mode for $168. Who in the hell is talking about a $170 receiver? Any $170 receiver wouldn't have balls. My lord.:rolleyes: http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=87430

I found a Denon 50x2 integrated amp for $3699.00. I don't think I need to explain any further.
http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Denon/product/Denon_PMA-S1_Pre-Main_Amplifier.html
Hehe
Nice try :) .
Wrong models , this denon was just a little one worth $200 cdn( new ) and was 40 x 2 .

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
Would the conclusion have been the same if was a Bryston that performed the same?

lol... I'm done now. :eek:
Hehe
The problem with that statment is Brystons perfom well ( in reality ) , no matter what model you want to test :) . ;)

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
I can already tell you what wire would say. He'd say the Bryston simply wouldn't do that.
Thats correct AbyssaLoris :) . I know forsure they would perform when you want it to , everytime for about 30 years or so , with out breaking a sweat at full volume for hours on end , ( again i know this from expirence and no blown tweeters in my 2bs for close to 20 years ):D .

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Hehe
Nice try :) .
Wrong models , this denon was just a little one worth $200 cdn( new ) and was 40 x 2 .
Doesn't matter. You have all of us thinking you believe a Yamaha receiver is crap compared to a direct competitor. Any idiot knows you can't compare an integrated amp to an extreme entry level receiver. What a maroon. If you are as old as you say you are, you will get that.

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
Doesn't matter. You have all of us thinking you believe a Yamaha receiver is crap compared to a direct competitor. Any idiot knows you can't compare an integrated amp to an extreme entry level receiver. What a maroon. If you are as old as you say you are, you will get that.
Why not , they ( yammy ) advertised 85 x 2 and charged 30% more for it than the simple but powerful 40 X 2 Denon . All im saying is the Amp section of Yammy is not quite up to others .

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Why not , they ( yammy ) advertised 85 x 2 and charged 30% more for it than the simple but powerful 40 X 2 Denon . All im saying is the Amp section of Yammy is not quite up to others .
No. What you are saying is that the amp section of an entry level Yamaha receiver is not up to the standards of an integrated amp from Denon. THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE SAYING. If you had put it that way, which is fact, everyone here would be on your side. You have confused two products of different classes to be rated as equal.

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
"Tuned to buy a Bryston4B":confused: So that Bryston changed the sound of your system:confused: NOT!:rolleyes: I bet they love to see you coming at your local shop.:D
No actually , I got lucky .
My freind ran a big bar many years ago , ran 4 4b's ( with Klipcsh Hersey bars everywhere ) in it and where renovating , the Brystons where only 1 1/2 years old . So he called me one day and told me he has to dump them and offered me one at a great price ( they where bringing in a totally new system ) . I bought in a heartbeat and now have had it for over 20 years now and performs perfectly , best amp buy ive ever made and will ever make . These amps have a very lively sound to them and clean to boot . I got it tested just before the warrenty expired ( 20 year ) and it tested at 258 rms per channel , the guy whom tested it wanted to buy it off me , I rejected and straight out said "No" .

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
No. What you are saying is that the amp section of an entry level Yamaha receiver is not up to the standards of an integrated amp from Denon. THAT IS WHAT YOU ARE SAYING. If you had put it that way, which is fact, everyone here would be on your side. You have confused two products of different classes to be rated as equal.
It ( Yammy ) advertised 85 X 2 and was 30 % more in price than the 40 X 2 advertised Denon . Entry level or not , it did not perform to what it should have . Ppl. work hard for there money and get fooled all time .

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
No actually , I got lucky .
My freind ran a big bar many years ago , ran 4 4b's ( with Klipcsh Hersey bars everywhere ) in it and where renovating , the Brystons where only 1 1/2 years old . So he called me one day and told me he has to dump them and offered me one at a great price ( they where bringing in a totally new system ) . I bought in a heartbeat and now have had it for over 20 years now and performs perfectly , best amp buy ive ever made and will ever make . These amps have a very lively sound to them and clean to boot . I got it tested just before the warrenty expired ( 20 year ) and it tested at 258 rms per channel , the guy whom tested it wanted to buy it off me , I rejected and straight out said "No" .
I would be proud to own that myself. I have to say that I missed your first post stating what two products were compared that brought you to your conclusion about Yamaha. Too bad for Yamaha. Seeing as how you seem to have a little experience with the ownership of Bryston, Carver, and Sunfire, I find it hard to understand why you thought a budget receiver was supposed to compete with an integrated amp?

Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
It ( Yammy ) advertised 85 X 2 and was 30 % more in price than the 40 X 2 advertised Denon . Entry level or not , it did not perform to what it should have . Ppl. work hard for there money and get fooled all time .
Prices are different there, and that's too bad. I don't know the circumstances of your situation at that moment, but there are some things to consider.

Was the Yamaha a surround receiver? There were a lot of features you had to pay for.

Was the Yamaha just a receiver? You still had to pay for the tuner.

Was the Denon an older outgoing model? This drops the price a good bit.

And lastly, it just might have been the deal of the day. All of us run into this on a daily basis, and we try to post our findings so people can get that good deal.

You said the Denon was $200. You said the Yamaha was 30% more. That makes it $260. No big deal. Depends on the features the end user was needing as to which was the better deal. I also doubt you were going to be able to get a Denon tuner for $60.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis