Hard time deciding between two receivers

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
Do send a recording .I wanna hear your system now on youtube. I hope its not like my crappy old Denon X2300W. Yours should sound much better since its the X.700H series, someone told me his X4700H sounds really good, but the X4500 was harsh.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
I dont have time to make video and upload on yt, plus I would need really good mic.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
No one can tell what a setup sounds like on YouTube. That would be like trying to test drive a car before you buy it.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I dont have time to make video and upload on yt, plus I would need really good mic.
You’d need way more than that!!! Lol

Btw. Congratulations on the new setup. Glad you like it. Now, about this subwoofer.....

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
You’d need way more than that!!! Lol

Btw. Congratulations on the new setup. Glad you like it. Now, about this subwoofer.....
Ah poop, here we go again haha
But yeh, in week or so I can stretch my wallet to allow myself a new subwoofer.

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
Was thinking maybe SVS, PB-1000 sub. Seems pretty decent for my room size. Anyone has any experience with SVS lineup?
And again other suggestions are welcome if you can back them up with sensible explanation :)

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Was thinking maybe SVS, PB-1000 sub. Seems pretty decent for my room size. Anyone has any experience with SVS lineup?
And again other suggestions are welcome if you can back them up with sensible explanation :)
SVS is very, very highly regarded here and not only for the performance, but it still manages to be more affordable than some fancy brand names. It's hard to go wrong with these when it comes to build quality (superb) and performance. Just be sure to calculate your real-world needs for this.

The question goes back to whether you need it for music more than movies, other way around or equally.

This is why. Even though Mr.Poes,a residential Black Belt in subs, claims you can have a seald that will dig as deep as a ported sub, it still holds true that what you find in the market as a general rule is that ported subs have deeper and louder low end and thus handle movie effect sounds better.

For music you might get away with a sealed one which can offer smoother roll off (again, just a rule of thumb), but they wouldn't and don't need to go as deep. Yes some instruments go deep, but in all fairness it's a very small portion of the music. (Oh, and they are smaller)

With new models of subs which are not only active but DSP controlled, the overall behavior is even much better than before and can be tailored to your listening room needs. However, the 1000 models have just an amp with basic, traditional knobs.

The first in the line to have DSP is 2000 Pro.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Also consider the HSU VTF 2 if its available...

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Did you mention your room dimensions and total volume including large openings to other areas

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
It is around 3090 ft³ and has opening to another room.
In that case you’ll need more than a pb1000. I would start with a Pb2k pro(if you go with SVS) and start saving for another one right away. Is the room on concrete, or suspended floor? Ime concrete eats bass up and makes it difficult to achieve TR(tactile response). If your budget is in the range of the pb1000 I’d save a little longer, for the first sub. Of course you can try anything risk free from svs. Monolith, Rythmik, HSU, and PSA are others worthy of consideration, and academically some of them are better. But it’s hard to beat SVS for customer service. Maybe impossible.

C

cafez

Junior Audioholic
In that case you’ll need more than a pb1000. I would start with a Pb2k pro(if you go with SVS) and start saving for another one right away. Is the room on concrete, or suspended floor? Ime concrete eats bass up and makes it difficult to achieve TR(tactile response). If your budget is in the range of the pb1000 I’d save a little longer, for the first sub. Of course you can try anything risk free from svs. Monolith, Rythmik, HSU, and PSA are others worthy of consideration, and academically some of them are better. But it’s hard to beat SVS for customer service. Maybe impossible.
It is suspended timber floor.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok. That can change the equation. Suspended floors tend to resonate like a drum, and that can shake the couch more easily. It can be a double edged sword too though, adding unpredictable resonances. Imo, the pb1000 is still too small. But like I said, you can try one risk free so it might be worth it. I’ve just seen too many times that the pb1000 is a stepping stone to better bass. Even a simple upgrade to the 2000 series was eye opening.
If memory serves, I think @Old Onkyo made a similar leap. @RTG is another.
But maybe my memory isn’t that great lol.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
It is around 3090 ft³ and has opening to another room.
Well I do not believe in Overkill in subwoofers so I am a fan of the 2000 and higher SVS's vs. the 1000 series. There is really nothing better for your home theater experience then a subwoofer that can be integrated into your sound system and give performance when needed.

I also like SVS's ever famous customer service. Excellent performance, quality and features are why I recommend them.

I also recommend Power Sound Audio. Tom V. the original owner of SVS (not active on Audioholics) but always available to answer your questions. Excellent performers

D

DJ7675

Audioholic
Today got everything delivered. Setup was like really really easy. Did audyssey setup and got everything running. Only part that was hard was wire stripping, cause I had crappy old one lol. Audio is superb, already watched one movie :)
Tidal songs that I played were really nice.
I plan on getting a subwoofer little later too.
Congratulations on your new setup and glad it sounds great and you are enjoying it.

Do send a recording .I wanna hear your system now on youtube. I hope its not like my crappy old Denon X2300W. Yours should sound much better since its the X.700H series, someone told me his X4700H sounds really good, but the X4500 was harsh.

/rant on/ Dude. Give it a rest. You bring your anti Denon in about every post. We get it... you didn't like it. You are judging an entire brand by your experience with a... x2300... not even an x3xxx series or higher. And you want to hear a youtube video and comment on the sound quality of a recording over youtube? What could you possibly learn from sound quality on a youtube video? And the "guy on the internet said it was harsh or sounds bad" is... just ridiculous... /rant off

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Congratulations on your new setup and glad it sounds great and you are enjoying it.

/rant on/ Dude. Give it a rest. You bring your anti Denon in about every post. We get it... you didn't like it. You are judging an entire brand by your experience with a... x2300... not even an x3xxx series or higher. And you want to hear a youtube video and comment on the sound quality of a recording over youtube? What could you possibly learn from sound quality on a youtube video? And the "guy on the internet said it was harsh or sounds bad" is... just ridiculous... /rant off
I'm sure you belong in that Denon Circle yourself that you had the need to quote this old post.

Ok, forget the sound quality, what about the heating issues on Denon/Marantz? I was gonna happily buy my 3rd Denon which was supposed to be the X3600H, but looking at Amazon reviews & also doin some research made me steer away from Denon completely.

So, therefore went for the Yamaha RX-A1080.

Also OP is happy with his Denon X3700H, so there wasn't a point for you bring this up again by quoting my post. Don't force me to comment further.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis