Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Warrior, I can feel your enthusiasm and I respect your pursuit of audio knowledge, but jeez man. I used dsp to tailor a flat response in my room and It's not just pretty lines on a graph. I have very audible improvements and couldn't be happier with the results. I feel like you're crapping all over my results when you type stuff like that. My system has never sounded so good,

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Warrior, I can feel your enthusiasm and I respect your pursuit of audio knowledge, but jeez man. I used dsp to tailor a flat response in my room and It's not just pretty lines on a graph. I have very audible improvements and couldn't be happier with the results. I feel like you're crapping all over my results when you type stuff like that. My system has never sounded so good,
I'd be curious for you to post your mdat and have someone who's capable evaluate it for IR and waterfalls.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Me too. I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement, but I didn't need to read Floyd Toole's book in its entirety to get some gains from my system with some dsp. I wouldn't mind some critique though. If there's an obvious way to improve even more I'm all for it.

When I do measurements again I'll generate all of the graphs. How do I post the mdat?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Dang it. I can't remember but the REW help files will tell you. Or punch it in the googletron. How to post REW mdat file.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
@TheWarrior

“To assume you can look at a measurement and understand why it measured that way is a terrible mistake.”

Define “terrible mistake.” Below the transition frequency of the room, the room controls bass response. There are varieties of tools which allow one to properly correct them. This list is fairly comprehensive in detailing them.
How is this list comprehensive? It says measure and correct with DSP in entirely too many words. There is no mention of the realities of bass reproduction in small rooms. To ignore that is to limit your performance.

“Flat, is never the goal, only accurate. There have been far too many posts on this forum about applying DSP filters to achieve a visual effect in a measurement (flat) without taking any time to understand why the system measures in such a way.”

Where does it say in this link that “just flat” was the end goal? While flat response is indeed accurate, preference can be anything. Steps 9-16 reflect this.
Flattening the response is your number one recommendation. The massive rumbling of your subs at low frequency should be telling you that solution is incorrect. But you don't seem to stick with any one setup. Your fronts move every time I come over. I gave you a detailed list of your room modes and recommended filters from the other side of the country, while on vacation. You never showed me how they performed, I believe you ignored it and used REW instead. Totally cool, but unless I missed something, you dismissed my suggestion without trying it. And are now criticizing it.

“I ONLY recommend applying filters based on room mode measurements.”

I ONLY disagree! I found that I have to go past simply knowing room modes and ONLY filtering them to get the response which I prefer. You do it your way, but this is what worked for me, so I pass it on. If you did it this way and it didn’t work for you, that’s also fine. But, do you have a concise detailed list which DID work for you? Please share!
You disagree that I only recommend applying filters based on room mode measurements? No I am not brief, but I am certainly comprehensive. Who else is making room mode predictions that are proven in measurements? It's incredibly easy to do! Speed of sound divided by dimension. Knowing which boundary is interfering, and how that relates to the LP is absolutely essential. And I think that's the part you're missing. The influence a resonant frequency has, and how it, the placement of subs and the placement of listeners all have to add up. Otherwise, you're just guessing!

“You match a DSP filter's amplitude, Q and frequency to the frequency centered in a peak or null of a mode.”

Right, most of us know how to use REW.
@Mitchibo

Get your subs corner positioned if you can. Then use MiniDSP to get a flat response. It looks like you have a broad bump peaking at around 50hz. Try a -3dB Q = 3 peak filter.

Once you get it flat, run Audyssey and let me know what you think.
What measurement were you looking at for that DSP filter? Post #41 has 3 measurements, all of them show the center of the hump is at 45 Hz, and bandwidth is a lot more than 3 hz, more like 11, possibly more. But as I asked the OP, I don't think their measurements are 1/24 octave, so that resonance could be even larger. I'll keep restating that the endeavor to control room modes is a very exacting science, you can't guess!

Figuring out your room modes is fairly easy, but it’s tertiary information by itself. REW can even calculate them into a curve for you (YMMV). In any event it’s usually apparent when you do your first sweep. Finding proper location for your subs takes a lot of this out of the question in the first place. I’ll be honest, I think you’re on a massive Dunning Kruger kick and are simply too quick to condescend to ideas if they don’t absolutely reflect your own.
As yepimonfire just demonstrated, REW does a pretty poor job of guessing. I do not understand the resistance of some people here to do some quick 'back of the envelope' calculations that enable you to understand which room boundaries are interfering, and how you need to configure/place the subwoofers to control the resonance at the LP. DSP is only a part of that solution.

I'm sorry you feel like I am crapping on you. I am sorry if anyone feels like I am crapping on them. My aim is to be precise, but I don't mask an insult when I recommend an alternative. But when I keep reading from Floyd's decades of research that are confirmed by double blind tests, I feel my integrity is at risk if I remain silent when ineffective recommendations are made. Everyone has their own preferences, of course. But if people were convinced of their system's performance, why are measurements being shared with the hope of receiving suggestions? You started with Audyssey controls, and then discovered the potential of minidsp. So please don't think I am telling you you're incapable. But when I consistently focus on the clearly defined, verifiable, room induced issues, and even make simple calculations for predictions, hopefully you can see that as less 'crap' and more as constructive criticism, rooted in science.

Thank you for recognizing my pursuit of knowledge. I again apologize if anyone thinks I am being a, whatever negative connotation you prefer. But I will defend myself any time any one criticizes my suggestions, without even trying them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm sorry you feel like I am crapping on you. I am sorry if anyone feels like I am crapping on them. My aim is to be precise, but I don't mask an insult when I recommend an alternative. But when I keep reading from Floyd's decades of research that are confirmed by double blind tests, I feel my integrity is at risk if I remain silent when ineffective recommendations are made. Everyone has their own preferences, of course. But if people were convinced of their system's performance, why are measurements being shared with the hope of receiving suggestions? You started with Audyssey controls, and then discovered the potential of minidsp. So please don't think I am telling you you're incapable. But when I consistently focus on the clearly defined, verifiable, room induced issues, and even make simple calculations for predictions, hopefully you can see that as less 'crap' and more as constructive criticism, rooted in science.

Thank you for recognizing my pursuit of knowledge. I again apologize if anyone thinks I am being a, whatever negative connotation you prefer. But I will defend myself any time any one criticizes my suggestions, without even trying them.
What ineffective recommendations? Everything I did last week was a big improvement in my overall sound. I appreciate the recommendations I got because it led me to better results than I expected. I can hear it. Not everyone who comes here for help is going to read Floyd's book and measure every nook and cranny of their room.

Your integrity is not at risk, that was kinda silly. :rolleyes: Nobody is going to ding you for giving short, effective answers that don't involve a physics degree or reading a 500+ page novel to interpret. It doesn't make it "wrong" if someone deviates from what you consider to be the "right" way. It's a solution that worked really well for me and when I'm ready to dial things in even further I'll be hitting up guys like you on how to do more detailed measurements and maybe even a little math! :eek:

I know what I did was a quick, down n dirty method that's not perfect, but I got results. Positive ones. My ears sure do love what they're hearing now.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
What ineffective recommendations? Everything I did last week was a big improvement in my overall sound. I appreciate the recommendations I got because it led me to better results than I expected. I can hear it. Not everyone who comes here for help is going to read Floyd's book and measure every nook and cranny of their room.

Your integrity is not at risk, that was kinda silly. :rolleyes: Nobody is going to ding you for giving short, effective answers that don't involve a physics degree or reading a 500+ page novel to interpret. It doesn't make it "wrong" if someone deviates from what you consider to be the "right" way. It's a solution that worked really well for me and when I'm ready to dial things in even further I'll be hitting up guys like you on how to do more detailed measurements and maybe even a little math! :eek:

I know what I did was a quick, down n dirty method that's not perfect, but I got results. Positive ones. My ears sure do love what they're hearing now.
Like I quoted above, there's been several instances where dsp filter suggestions were not based on measurements. Thats an example of the 'ineffective' recommendations I refer to.

Call me silly for worrying about integrity, but I think there's at least a couple people around here who think I'm not just rambling. Yourself included. So I am totally guilty of being defensive of my learned knowledge and of my experienced opinions of certain products. But just like with my studies from Floyd, when evidence proves me wrong, I admit it. And Floyd tore me a new one, so to speak.

I look forward to assisting you and anyone! I gave you the only math I would ever be conveying on an internet forum. Speed of sound divided by dimension = modal frequency.

For measurements, especially below transition, gotta be 1/24 octave with Phase, with and without Room Correction. 20 hz- 1000 kHz if we're dealing with room modes. 20-20khz for tweaking placement and any other EQ that can be applied. A lot can be achieved from the LP alone. But there will always be discrepancies due to the inclusion of room correction. It's hard to tell the system what to do through DSP and then have unidentifiable 'correction' added on top it. I understand that you like what you're hearing, and thats really the only goal. But if you acknowledge that more can still be done, then that's where I remain stubborn on manual setup. I don't like the forced roll off of high frequencies by Audyssey, it limits the extension of my ribbon tweeters. And as for bass, I'll forever keep saying it, an omni mic has no idea what is going on in a room. Your two ears and a brain have to take charge. And that's my aim, to enable yo' brain! (man that was cheesy)

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In anticipation of having to plot new ones with the minidsp in the loop, I dug out some of the old plots to have them ready for comparisons. I am not sure if they are the latest greatest but will have to make do for now as I am too lazy to do anything except reading. I did send some of them to SVS for comments and they approved. Given the reasonable results, I doubted minidsp/REW can improve much, except perhaps removing that big dip at about 50 Hz created by Audyssey. Now that I see Pogre happy with the improvements he managed to get, I am much more hopeful. In fact, my objective is to achieve +/- 2 to 2.5 dB, 16 to 150 Hz.

ATL gave me the idea to play with the distance/delay, I thought they may allow me to tame the 50 Hz dip but now I am just going to wait for the mini.

Just got a notice from FedEx that they tried to deliver it at 1:00 pm but I wasn't home to pay the import duty. Now I have to wait until next Tuesday, more time read the manual.:(

11.21.2015.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In anticipation of having to plot new ones with the minidsp in the loop, I dug out some of the old plots to have them ready for comparisons. I am not sure if they are the latest greatest but will have to make do for now as I am too lazy to do anything except reading. I did send some of them to SVS for comments and they approved. Given the reasonable results, I doubted minidsp/REW can improve much, except perhaps removing that big dip at about 50 Hz created by Audyssey. Now that I see Pogre happy with the improvements he managed to get, I am much more hopeful. In fact, my objective is to achieve +/- 2 to 2.5 dB, 16 to 150 Hz.

ATL gave me the idea to play with the distance/delay, I thought they may allow me to tame the 50 Hz dip but now I am just going to wait for the mini.

Just got a notice from FedEx that they tried to deliver it at 1:00 pm but I wasn't home to pay the import duty. Now I have to wait until next Tuesday, more time read the manual.:(

View attachment 22111
Based on my results and your more thorough knowledge I'm gonna say that might very well be doable. I think it is in my room too. I just need to put a little more time into it.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Based on my results and your more thorough knowledge I'm gonna say that might very well be doable. I think it is in my room too. I just need to put a little more time into it.
I might have a bigger challenge than yours, my two front subs are different, PC12U and PB13U. I have 3 other subs for the surrounds but I am not too concern about those, they are just helping out a little. Audyssey did a very good job integrated the two different subs so I hope it will not be an issue in the end.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I might have a bigger challenge than yours, my two front subs are different, PC12U and PB13U. I have 3 other subs for the surrounds but I am not too concern about those, they are just helping out a little. Audyssey did a very good job integrated the two different subs so I hope it will not be an issue in the end.
How do you have your subs connected since you have an odd number?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
How do you have your subs connected since you have an odd number?
The AV8801 has sub 1 and 2 outs, that takes care of the front 2. The surround R/L are on speaker level. Surround back also on speaker level, the stereo outputs of that sub are connected the the SBL and SBR.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The AV8801 has sub 1 and 2 outs, that takes care of the front 2. The surround R/L are on speaker level. Surround back also on speaker level, the stereo outputs of that sub are connected the the SBL and SBR.
Ok. I figured it was something along those lines. Interesting setup.

Mitchibo

Mitchibo

Audioholic
starting graph 9-1-17.jpg
latest correction 9-1-17.jpg

corrected with Denon LPF @ 250 hz.jpg
So here today's results: As labeled graph one was subs with (apparently) to much filtering. This is with Audyssey running as well.

Graph two was taken with out LPF on two of the four subs; two w/o and the other two contained LPF. This seemed to be the best combo as I tried all combinations of adding and deleting them. I got better measurements in this configuration.

The last graph just shows possible extension with the Denon LFP turned up to 250hz. Of course this is just for interest, not for anything useful as it leaves to much boom and not enough decay.

My sub range according to Klipsch is 24-125hz. With out X-over set to 80 I have a 10 db variance through specified the range.

This is a little better but still not quite a banana split.

All of these measurement were with Audyssey running. That may be an anathema but I'm going to use it anyway so I set the dsp EQ with it engaged.

Note: I bought the MiniDSP/REW for an educational tool as well as a room correction too, because I don't understand the full steps of manual set-up vs automated dsp. It has given me a lot to think about as well as help correct the sound.

Tomorrow I'm gunna test drive this with multiple sources and see if I've helped my situation.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis