killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Can this be used to repair a remote that lost some functions? Some buttons need a hard press, or won't react the first time. I was planing to open the remote and check whether the gray layer had been worn out. If so, I'd cut out a stencil for the areas that would require resurfacing and spray over the stencil.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Can this be used to repair a remote that lost some functions? Some buttons need a hard press, or won't react the first time. I was planing to open the remote and check whether the gray layer had been worn out. If so, I'd cut out a stencil for the areas that would require resurfacing and spray over the stencil.
I have no idea what product you are talking about, but your plan seems dubious at best.

Take it apart and clean the contacts and the carbon pads with Isopropyl Alcohol and a Q-tip. It would likely be good to hit the PCB and the rubber with a few blasts of compressed air first to blow out any debris. Check the area where the rubber protrudes up into the button cutouts for any grime and clean that too.

Look for lots of debris from the carbon pads that may indicate wear. Look for signs of previous liquid spills.

I have done this too many times to count for various gaming controllers, normal routine.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I have no idea what product you are talking about, but your plan seems dubious at best.

Take it apart and clean the contacts and the carbon pads with Isopropyl Alcohol and a Q-tip. It would likely be good to hit the PCB and the rubber with a few blasts of compressed air first to blow out any debris. Check the area where the rubber protrudes up into the button cutouts for any grime and clean that too.

Look for lots of debris from the carbon pads that may indicate wear. Look for signs of previous liquid spills.

I have done this too many times to count for various gaming controllers, normal routine.
Well, thanks a lot. I'll try that. Rubber keys do make contact over a layer of graphite, do they not?

This Graphit33 is what I have in mind:

It is a spray that creates a conductive surface.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, thanks a lot. I'll try that. Rubber keys do make contact over a layer of graphite, do they not?

This Graphit33 is what I have in mind:

It is a spray that creates a conductive surface.
My concern with the spray is how well it would/would not adhere to the existing surface. It may cause more problems and debris than it would fix. If you go that route, then do some testing of your own on something other than the remote, before you proceed down that path.

I have always heard this part called "carbon pads". Graphite is a very particular type carbon structure, and I cannot say for certain that the "carbon pads" are really "graphite pads".

I'm telling you, follow the procedures that I outlined above. I have had success with this many times over the years for gaming controllers, and these devices continuously see heavier abuse especially from children.

I have yet to come across a single instance where the carbon pads have been worn completely away. I have seen instances where the copper traces on the PCB have shown decades of wear and tear, but the carbon pads were still fine.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Oh, no need! I hold you in high regards. What I try to do is prepare for more than one scenario, when I open the remote, if it's not dirty I want to be ready to try something else.

If you say it's not necessary, I beleive you. And thank you!! I always appreciated getting tips and advice from you.
Well, "trying something else", my first thought would be to glue some aluminum foil to the pad.

But, if it is needed, your graphite spray idea may work out better. I've just never seen or used that stuff before.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've tried the pencil trick to revitalize the connection on an older remote (a Harmony). It worked a little. There's this stuff on Amazon that I'd try the next time a remote starts to go wonky (and I've got one that's starting to so that may be soon).

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I've tried the pencil trick to revitalize the connection on an older remote (a Harmony). It worked a little. There's this stuff on Amazon that I'd try the next time a remote starts to go wonky (and I've got one that's starting to so that may be soon).
This doesn't look like a bad option either.

https://www.amazon.com/ButtonWorx-Remote-Button-Repair-kit/dp/B017OIKGMW/ref=pd_bxgy_60_img_2/130-2248021-7118664?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B017OIKGMW&pd_rd_r=c6abc9de-7cc1-11e9-b5e6-8f4709db8492&pd_rd_w=SaCq2&pd_rd_wg=raOQA&pf_rd_p=a2006322-0bc0-4db9-a08e-d168c18ce6f0&pf_rd_r=5RRC00W33VEQKW2JMWTM&psc=1&refRID=5RRC00W33VEQKW2JMWTM

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think this Conductive Silver stuff would work. It would short the various resistances provided by a control or short the various remote control contacts together.
How so? You prefer one of the other items discussed so far? Have you used any?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
How so? You prefer one of the other items discussed so far? Have you used any?
That product which has been existing for the last 40 years, acts as a jumper and was used to repair things such as damaged rear car window defroster wires. :)

So far, I haven't used such items.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That product which has been existing for the last 40 years, acts as a jumper and was used to repair things such as the damaged rear car window defroster wires. :)

So far, I haven't used such items.
All you need do is coat the part of the button mechanism that conducts.....this stuff particularly IIRC was recommended by some of the sites discussing remote repair. I'll take a chance on it and let ya know!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
All you need do is coat the part of the button mechanism that conducts.....this stuff particularly IIRC was recommended by some of the sites discussing remote repair. I'll take a chance on it and let ya know!
Well, the 2nd review on that item just says to do what I suggested in post #2

from the review:
You're better off just cleaning contacts and PCB with 90% IPA

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, the 2nd review on that item just says to do what I suggested in post #2

from the review:
You're better off just cleaning contacts and PCB with 90% IPA
Maybe it depends on the remote/type of button.....the contacts on some of these buttons in my Harmony 650, the only contact was the coating....cleaning it off would make it worse. (i.e. it was the coating wearing off that causes the button not to work correctly).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis