GR Research A/V-2 bookshelf set (3)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Testing waters for these. Matching front stage in Cherry. They are bookshelf, but they are pretty big and have very decent bass on their own. I used a pair of these without a sub in another setup (they are -3dB at 55Hz). Selling because I basically have too many speakers, but held on to them for so long because I really love their sound. I bought them used but replaced all drivers and rebuilt the x-overs (Air core foil inductors, Sonicaps) when I received them to support the latest version of the tweeters. I bought them from the person who was building the cabinets for GR at the time (Brian Rutledge); they were his personal pair and he built me the matching center for them as well.

Midrange performance is where these shine as GR has the M130 woofers built to their spec, but GR's "fisheye" tweeter is also very well known for smoothness. Tons of detail, particularly suited to vocals, which is why I bought them. NOTE: they are true 4 Ohm speakers and really do need decent power.

Looking for $600 + shipping. You can't build 1 pair for that price unless you build your own cabinets and even then it would be $414 for the kit without the cabinets. They are heavy too, 38lbs each because the cabinets are reinforced 3/4" MDF. You can see in the pics the veneer is high quality. Pics are old, but they have not changed and have not been in regular use for a few years. Magnetic grilles, lined with "No-Rez" liner to keep internal vibrations to nearly zero.

Page with specs and info: http://gr-research.com/av-2.aspx

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Looks like a great deal for anyone in the speaker market in this price range. I am curious about their performance, but I have way too many speakers in house myself (sadly, most of these do not belong to me). I am sure the buyers of these will be very lucky.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yep, have too many already or this would be tempting, always wanted to sample GR.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Me too. I'm beginning to realize I have a speaker fetish and those look very nice.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Well, these finally found a home! I sold them +trade to my son-in-law :) So they are still in the family. He was looking to upgrade from the AAs that we got him a few years ago. He got these guys for a great price and I now own the AAs. I don't exactly have a use for the AAs either, so they may go up for sale too.

Have not listened to them in a long time, so it was nice to hear them again and they still sound great. Gobs of smooth midrange. Better to have someone listening to them than just sitting around here.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis