Getting That Itch Again...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If the length of a RCA to RCA cable is not longer than 10-12 ft, there shouldn't much interference pickup. I like the 16 AWG Monoprice cables. They are somewhat stiffer than with some other brand, but the plugs hold well onto a jack.
It's more complicated. I do need minumum a 25' length. I forgot my Behringer amp only has either 1/4" TS/TRS or XLR inputs so I need one of those on one end and rca on the other and I'm having trouble searching. I'm on BJC right now and looks like I'd have to contact them for a custom cable, but it looks like I'd be spending upwards of $65 there.

So far this looks like my best bet.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you have to put your ear next to it to hear it is it that big of a deal? If your just tinkering to tinker I totally get that tho I do that stuff all the time
Yeah, not a huge deal. Just tinkering to tinker. Plus what I'm using isn't quite as long as I'd like, and it's 3 different rca's patched together with a couple of these.

b1f8f7ac-19ce-4ecf-94a8-6bae486000a7_1.2ae457eff854a1acd1497253b8ea2057_copy_500x500.jpeg

I'm almost positive 1 good cable of appropriate gauge will fix it, and look neater. I have to cut a catty-corner for the current cables to reach.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I tried RCA To XLR once and it takes the signal down a little I think and that's partly why you can't hear the ground loop as much. But then I had to adjust my levels up. I was trying to connect my AVR (RCA) to my Outlaw 7500 with XLR. You can try it and it's cheap and you can return the cable too especially if you buy from Amazon (Monolith). But I'm not sure sure this is the answer (they have a 25ft version)

Amazon.com: Monoprice XLR Male to RCA Male Cable - 6 Feet - Black With E21Gold Plated Connectors | 16AWG Shielded Twisted Pair Oxygen-Free Copper Braid Conductors - Premier Series, 104777 : Electronics

I used one of these to eliminate ground loop noise for one of my AMPs and it's been real helpful. You can test if it would work but using a cheater plug to lift the ground on the AMP (or the sub if it's coming from there). If it works then this is a safe way of doing that.

Amazon.com: Ebtech Hum X Ground Line Voltage Filter,Black : Musical Instruments

Sure you will have better recommendations but these are a few things I have tried

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I tried RCA To XLR once and it takes the signal down a little I think and that's partly why you can't hear the ground loop as much. But you then I had to adjust my levels up. I was trying to connect my AVR (RCA) to my Outlaw 7500 with XLR. You can try it and it's cheap and you can return the cable too especially if you buy from Amazon (Monolith). But I'm not sure sure this is the answer (they have a 25ft version)

Amazon.com: Monoprice XLR Male to RCA Male Cable - 6 Feet - Black With E21Gold Plated Connectors | 16AWG Shielded Twisted Pair Oxygen-Free Copper Braid Conductors - Premier Series, 104777 : Electronics

I used one of these to eliminate ground loop noise for one of my AMPs and it's been real helpful. You can test if it would work but using a cheater plug to lift the ground on the AMP (or the sub if it's coming from there). If it works then this is a safe way of doing that.

Amazon.com: Ebtech Hum X Ground Line Voltage Filter,Black : Musical Instruments

Sure you will have better recommendations but these are a few things I have tried
I had just ordered the first one. I found it too, the exact same one for that price. Should be here sometime tomorrow. I was wondering if the input voltage would change. Like you said, if it doesn't work out I can return it.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It's more complicated. I do need minumum a 25' length. I forgot my Behringer amp only has either 1/4" TS/TRS or XLR inputs so I need one of those on one end and rca on the other and I'm having trouble searching. I'm on BJC right now and looks like I'd have to contact them for a custom cable, but it looks like I'd be spending upwards of $65 there.

So far this looks like my best bet.

I suggest that you also verify with Redco Audio. They are located in Munroe, CT. Several years ago, they made me some very well assembled RCA to XLR cables and for a decent price. You can call or write to Chris Stubbs, the manager. They handle most popular brands of cables and many types of connectors as well.
If you do, let me know how was your experience:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So if you use a short cable from your amp to the sub does it reduce the noise? I'd suspect the Behringer amp more than the cable for noise....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So if you use a short cable from your amp to the sub does it reduce the noise? I'd suspect the Behringer amp more than the cable for noise....
It is a short cable from amp to sub. It's the RCA to RCA to RCA to TRS connectors that take up most of the length. Just tryna get it down to a single cord that's long enough.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It is a short cable from amp to sub. It's the RCA to RCA to RCA to TRS connectors that take up most of the length. Just tryna get it down to a single cord that's long enough.
I'm used to having short distances from pre to sub amp....more what I was thinking....then use longer run of speaker cable to sub. Just curious if that makes a difference with a shorter interconnect vs speaker wire....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm used to having short distances from pre to sub amp....more what I was thinking....then use longer run of speaker cable to sub. Just curious if that makes a difference with a shorter interconnect vs speaker wire....
I um, didn't even think about that...

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Do you have a cheater plug handy?

Best thing I have used to proove what device is driving the ground loop (if it's that) vs interference in cables

1631402562538.png

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Also, do you have cable TV/Direct TV, etc. coming in there by chance? That was my problem too and I used an isolater on that which helped a great deal

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, interconnects should be short as much as possible, unless they have two balanced ends. AC noise doesn't build up in speaker wiring.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might also have something to do with how your unbalanced to balanced connector is wired....

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Generally try to match impedances on both ends. If the 1/4" on the Behringer is unbalanced I would go RCA to 1/4", unless you find that the RCA to XLR connection has less noise. While keeping the amp close to the sub might have seemed intuitive at first, given the 25' run, I would also suggest keeping the amp close to the pre-out and running longer speaker cable. Very long pre-out cables should be avoided if possible unless you can go balanced on both ends. Doesn't mean your new cable won't work, but a general rule of thumb to avoid external noise.

Should probably mention that changing from XLR to 1/4" might affect signal level which would involve some recalibrating. After getting your subs dialed in you may want to keep the RCA to XLR to avoid that.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah you guys make perfect sense. For some reason it just didn't occur to me, but part of it too is the speaker cord needs to be Speakon on one end and bananas (or bare wire, etc) on the other so I used what I had. I need to keep the Speakon because that's the only connection for the amp side. I already had all of the rca's for the distance so that's just how I set it up.

I just got the the rca to XLR from amazon (ordered it before I saw HDs suggestion) so I may just return it instead of going through all the trouble of recalibrating everything.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah you guys make perfect sense. For some reason it just didn't occur to me, but part of it too is the speaker cord needs to be Speakon on one end and bananas (or bare wire, etc) on the other so I used what I had. I need to keep the Speakon because that's the only connection for the amp side. I already had all of the rca's for the distance so that's just how I set it up.

I just got the the rca to XLR from amazon (ordered it before I saw HDs suggestion) so I may just return it instead of going through all the trouble of recalibrating everything.
Speakon is a great connector and should be used more often. HDMI could learn a thing or two from that connector.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis