Getting That Itch Again...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just the idiotic claims on the packaging of the wire would have me pass it by....
Those idiotic claims are what tripped my red flag, but was willing to overlook it to save a couple bucks if pure copper. No mention anywhere in the description except "oxygen-free" which is just misleading. I got the spool Eppie linked.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just for kicks:

You can find Heat Shrink insulators with adhesive all over the place, so I won't link here. Of course you would need a heat gun for best effect, but... ;)

And of course, your choice of termination at the business ends. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Mission accomplished! The hum is gone! I had a feeling 25' of spliced together RCAs had something to do with it.

I was a little concerned that unplugging the amp to move it to its new home would make it forget the settings but everything sounds right. I didn't run any calibration or anything since not much technically changed. I am glad I got that 30' spool tho. I had 25' in my head, but that was the distance I needed for the RCA. I did however, forget to account for the additional distance for the speaker wire from the amp to the sub. Turns out 30' is perfect. It easily reaches with a little bit to spare. Phew!

Did I mention the hum is gone?! :p:D

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
...I am glad I got that 30' spool tho. I had 25' in my head, but that was the distance I needed for the RCA. I did however, forget to account for the additional distance for the speaker wire from the amp to the sub. Turns out 30' is perfect. It easily reaches with a little bit to spare. Phew!
Reminds me of all the cooking recipes saying how much wine is needed but forgetting that the cook needs some too.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Reminds me of all the cooking recipes saying how much wine is needed but forgetting that the cook needs some too.
Cooks need Beer and Bourbon or Rye. Wine is for polite drunks who think they aren't. o_O

Put that in your bong and rip it. :eek:

:p :D :cool:

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Good recipes call out amounts for both cook and meal.

My grandpa had a chili recipe that was like that. One beer for the chili, 5 for the cook. I can't remember if the chili was good or not, but I followed the recipe perfectly.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
Damn brother, you got that 'Rona deal of the year finding that sub for that price!! Congrats! Get yourself a 2 channel Buckeye with the 502 modules and it'll dust that Berringer...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Damn brother, you got that 'Rona deal of the year finding that sub for that price!! Congrats! Get yourself a 2 channel Buckeye with the 502 modules and it'll dust that Berringer...
That's actually... not a terrible idea... bring that carrot a li'l closer to me with some linkage so I can take a look!

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
That's actually... not a terrible idea... bring that carrot a li'l closer to me with some linkage so I can take a look!
Link-Buckeye Amps

NC502MP
- 2x450w @ 2ohm
- 2x500w @ 4ohm
- 2x350w @ 8ohm

Nothing to sneeze at for under $700.
Guaranteed to make them subs jump!!

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Buckeye Amps

NC502MP
- 2x450w @ 2ohm
- 2x500w @ 4ohm
- 2x350w @ 8ohm

Nothing to sneeze at for under $700.
Guaranteed to make them subs jump!!
Crown XLS2502 for about $700
2 x 440W 8 ohm
2 x 775W 4 ohm
2 x 1200W 2 ohm

Granted, the NC502MP will have lower distortion, but for bass frequencies not that important considering typical distortion in transducers of that range.....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah I dunno. The Behringer is 2 x 900w 4 ohm and my sub is 4 ohm. S'posed to be 2400w 4 ohm bridged, but I think one of the channels is blown. It was a freebie tho so I can't really complain. I've put it through its paces in the sub candy thread and have yet to see it clip. I've driven it pretty hard and got some big excursion out of the drivers. Nothin' but green lights.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Crown XLS2502 for about $700
2 x 440W 8 ohm
2 x 775W 4 ohm
2 x 1200W 2 ohm

Granted, the NC502MP will have lower distortion, but for bass frequencies not that important considering typical distortion in transducers of that range.....
I agree with you. Also comparing them, the Crown seems to have a better designed power supply when you take into account power vs driver impedance. In theory, with a power amplifier, when the speaker impedance is halved, the output power should be doubled. But it's not a must as most well designed amplifiers will not double power with a halved load.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I agree with you. Also comparing them, the Crown seems to have a better designed power supply when you take into account power vs driver impedance. In theory, with a power amplifier, when the speaker impedance is halved, the output power should be doubled. But it's not a must as most well designed amplifiers will not double power with a halved load.
Let alone one where the 2 ohm rating droops?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I dunno. The Behringer is 2 x 900w 4 ohm and my sub is 4 ohm. S'posed to be 2400w 4 ohm bridged, but I think one of the channels is blown. It was a freebie tho so I can't really complain. I've put it through its paces in the sub candy thread and have yet to see it clip. I've driven it pretty hard and got some big excursion out of the drivers. Nothin' but green lights.
Keep in mind those are Behringer watts :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, I'm getting antsy again and wanna try something different. I don't wanna buy anything new or swap something out so it's not about that.

What I'm considering is moving my RBH sub from right behind my couch, which is mlp, to all the way out into the dining room. Still behind me but along the back wall. What am I expecting? I dunno. Maybe better bass through the whole room instead of being focused on mlp would be nice. My wife listens to a lot of music but insists on sitting in the granny seat. Plus it gives me something new to play with and I have fun with getting stuff dialed in.

What I'd really like to do is get the seating area out of the middle of the room, but it's just not realistic the way its laid out unless I push the seating all the way out into the dining room with the sub, lol.

download_20200329_104128-1-1418x1983 (1)_copy_567x793.jpg

I'd put the sub all the way back against the 10', 10" wall in the dining room. I was looking at the cable run and realized I can run one (line level speaker cable from the amp at the front of the room) all the way back there along baseboards, over an arch and it'd be invisible unless one is looking for it. It's a really long run tho, pushing 60 feet for the length of the cable.

Does that look like a good location for a third sub "on paper" (literally, lol)? Or is it just a lot of work that could potentially lead to disappointment?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Can you just try it without having to do a whole full blown measurements / filter?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Can you just try it without having to do a whole full blown measurements / filter?
I could, I s'pose. Tho my bass response is pretty whack without any filtering so I already know it wouldn't sound right. I do have curve files saved for MultEQ and the MiniDSP tho so it wouldn't be too difficult to put everything back if I don't like it.

I'm flip flopping on it. It's totally a vanity project of sorts. Just something to do so I can play with my favorite toys that might offer some improvements. Or it could be a bunch of work to find out I prefer it better the way it is now, lol.

Shanman

Shanman

Audioholic
You don't happen to have the REL HT-Air or SVS version of a wireless receiver/transmitter do you? Be the simplest way to try what you wanna do without wires.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You don't happen to have the REL HT-Air or SVS version of a wireless receiver/transmitter do you? Be the simplest way to try what you wanna do without wires.
I don't. The sub I'm thinking about moving is a passive sub, an RBH SV-1212NR, and I have a Behringer NX3000D powering it. A transmitter might still work with it but I'd need an rca to 1/4" T/S adapter at a minumum for the transmitter to be able to connect to it. That is a consideration tho. I'm gonna have to buy 60+ feet of 12g ofc copper cable and I'll bet a transmitter wouldn't cost too much more. It's something I'd wanna make sure would work first tho.

I've never used a wireless transmitter before. Are they pretty solid? No latency issues? Is it like a BT connection?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis