Getting That Itch Again...

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I think you need to take a trip to San Antonio and see it in action at Dan's house
I only have the top parts the 831R's and those are still huge. Another 2 years and I'll have the complete setup

Right now I have 3 SV 831r's 4 SV 661W and 2 SV 1212R subs. By the end of either next year I want it to be 4 SV 1212R subs 3 SV 831 R 4 SV 661WR for surrounds and then I'll ceiling mount the SV 661W's on the ceiling for my atmos!!!! Ohhhh yeeaaah :p

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I only have the top parts the 831R's and those are still huge. Another 2 years and I'll have the complete setup

Right now I have 3 SV 831r's 4 SV 661W and 2 SV 1212R subs. By the end of either next year I want it to be 4 SV 1212R subs 3 SV 831 R 4 SV 661WR for surrounds and then I'll ceiling mount the SV 661W's on the ceiling for my atmos!!!! Ohhhh yeeaaah :p
Although I'm super tempted since I live right by Austin to do 2 Rhythmik FV25HP up front run the 2 RBH 1212R nearfield in the back use minidsp and rew to cut the RBH off below 20hz so they add monster output 20hz on up and let the 2 FV25HP take everything below that keep everything else the same! Ohhhhh ehhhhh that sounds awesome too!

Decisions decisions...... hmmmmmmm

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Dammit Pogre!!!! You woke it up inside of me. It was sleeping!!!!! Know that audio hunger is building up again!!! :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am tryna cool my heels a little bit tho... I'm really set for subwoofage right now and my only reason is "I want!".

Damn this hobby.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I am tryna cool my heels a little bit tho... I'm really set for subwoofage right now and my only reason is "I want!".

Damn this hobby.
Hehe... yeah, I'm trying to tame my urge for new mains until I can actually demo the speakers. Going to play with my new Umik-1 for a while and then decide whether to buy or build.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hehe... yeah, I'm trying to tame my urge for new mains until I can actually demo the speakers. Going to play with my new Umik-1 for a while and then decide whether to buy or build.
If I'd known we had money coming I would have held off on selling my Ultras and pushed hard for the SVTR towers. Those have always been endgame speakers for me, but pie in the sky and never thought I'd realistically ever be able to get them.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If I'd known we had money coming I would have held off on selling my Ultras and pushed hard for the SVTR towers. Those have always been endgame speakers for me, but pie in the sky and never thought I'd realistically ever be able to get them.
I know you can't just rush into it but hey you should start preparing to make that push. There is a reason those speakers are going into Gene's final audioholics theater room at his new house. I love love love these speakers and have not once regretted my decision. Not once. We only live once bro and if we're going to invest in this it should be with the gear we will truly fall in love with. Just getting to know you and your listening habits and likes and dislikes I think your going to love these speakers

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I know you can't just rush into it but hey you should start preparing to make that push. There is a reason those speakers are going into Gene's final audioholics theater room at his new house. I love love love these speakers and have not once regretted my decision. Not once. We only live once bro and if we're going to invest in this it should be with the gear we will truly fall in love with. Just getting to know you and your listening habits and likes and dislikes I think your going to love these speakers
Didn't he replace his beloved Status Acoustics speakers with the SVTRs? That says a lot to me. I just now read that there's a separate compartment in your 831s you can fill with 100 lbs of sand or precleaned aquarium gravel for even more damping. :oops: Did you already know that?

I'm reading Theo's review of them right now.

He took a side by side pic of the 2 different drivers in both sub models, the 1212N and 1212NR. There's a huge difference. The motor structure for the NR dwarfs the one they use in the N.

image (6).jpeg

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Didn't he replace his beloved Status Acoustics speakers with the SVTRs? That says a lot to me. I just now read that there's a separate compartment in your 831s you can fill with 100 lbs of sand or precleaned aquarium gravel for even more damping. :oops: Did you already know that?

He took a side by side pic of the 2 different drivers in both sub models, the 1212N and 1212NR. There's a huge difference. The motor structure for the NR dwarfs the one they use in the N.

View attachment 48299
Yeah those drivers in the NR are just beasts Josh Ricci at data bass when he tested those subs could not get those drivers to ever come close to giving out

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

View attachment 48299
Look at the difference in the magnet size as well

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan

View attachment 48299
Yeah I knew about the sand there's no way I'm making those beasts any heavier. There already a hundred pounds

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You begin to understand why there are so many old guys at high end audio shows, or driving sports cars. You eventually realize that you only have so much time left on the planet and might as well spend what you got before you're pushing up the daisies. :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Although I'm super tempted since I live right by Austin to do 2 Rhythmik FV25HP up front run the 2 RBH 1212R nearfield in the back use minidsp and rew to cut the RBH off below 20hz so they add monster output 20hz on up and let the 2 FV25HP take everything below that keep everything else the same! Ohhhhh ehhhhh that sounds awesome too!

Decisions decisions...... hmmmmmmm
If you go, you gotta pick me up on the way.

Dammit I don't need to be trying to build subs right now...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Getting that itch again!

This time it's just a cable tho... lol.
I do have a ground loop tho... I can hear it coming from the 1212 when nothing is playing and I get close to it. Like ear a couple inches away. Sounds higher than 60 hz too. I'm guessing distance and using a connector between 2 rca's isn't helping.
I never did figure this out, but it's so low I can't hear it til my ear is right next to it so it hasn't been a big priority. I want to try a single cable, at least a 25' long to reach the sub instead of using multiples with connectors in between, and I did find a few. Given the distance involved should I be looking at a lower gauge? I found a couple of possibilities from cheap-cheap to decent prices. I'm not finding a ton of options for that length tho.

I found a couple of XLR to RCA cables too. My sub amp does has XLR inputs.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh crap, I don't have RCA inputs on that amp! Duh! It needs to be XLR or 1/4" to rca. Crap.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Getting that itch again!

This time it's just a cable tho... lol.

I never did figure this out, but it's so low I can't hear it til my ear is right next to it. I want to try a single cable, at least a 25' long to reach the sub instead of using multiples with connectors in between, and I did find a few. Given the distance involved should I be looking at a lower gauge? I found a couple of possibilities from cheap-cheap to decent prices. I'm not finding a ton of options for that length tho.

I found a couple of XLR to RCA cables too. My sub amp does has XLR inputs.

If the length of a RCA to RCA cable is not longer than 10-12 ft, there shouldn't much interference pickup. I like the 16 AWG Monoprice cables. They are somewhat stiffer than with some other brand, but the plugs hold well onto a jack.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Oh crap, I don't have RCA inputs on that amp! Duh! It needs to be XLR or 1/4" to rca. Crap.
If you have to put your ear next to it to hear it is it that big of a deal? If your just tinkering to tinker I totally get that tho I do that stuff all the time

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis