Funk Audio 18.2 Dual 18" Sealed Subwoofer Preview

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Neodymium is being hoarded by the Chinese (they produce most of it) to control the market kind of like Debeers controls diamonds to artificially inflate their value, and China also does it as incentive for more companies to do manufacturing in China. Mr. Kravchenko is correct, it is a political matter. The only good ethical reason to forgo Neodymium is to discourage China from these business practices. Besides, if we were to complain about wastefulness and voracity, the US has many more domestic policies which are far more shameful, detrimental, and impacting on the future than China.
I'm curious about this. I know China is wholesaling air quality, and quality of life for the average worker; but I also know the US seems hell-bent on excesses, but cannot think of any domestic policies off the top of my head.
Obviously, it doesn't belong here, but could you post a few of the worst US policies under a new thread in the Steam Vent?
Thanks!

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
That's the only time I have ever seen FirstReflection say something silly...

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
That's the only time I have ever seen FirstReflection say something silly...
Agreed. In fact, I really like the guy. Maybe he just misunderstood the situation, or perhaps he was hacked. Regardless, the new 18.2 from Funk Audio looks to be absolutely incredible, and I cannot wait to see if Audioholics decides to review one. Otherwise I'll just have to tell my pal Rick to wait on his purchase and explain to his wife he needs to up the budget. :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm curious about this. I know China is wholesaling air quality, and quality of life for the average worker; but I also know the US seems hell-bent on excesses, but cannot think of any domestic policies off the top of my head.
Obviously, it doesn't belong here, but could you post a few of the worst US policies under a new thread in the Steam Vent?
Thanks!
Ill PM you

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Wikipedia:

Although neodymium is classed as a "rare earth", it is a fairly common element, no rarer than cobalt, nickel, and copper ore, and is widely distributed in the Earth's crust. Most of the world's neodymium is mined in China...

It is used as a component in the alloys used to make high-strength neodymium magnets – powerful permanent magnets. These magnets are widely used in such products as microphones, professional loudspeakers, in-ear headphones, and computer hard disks, where low magnet mass or volume, or strong magnetic fields are required. Larger neodymium magnets are used in high power versus weight electric motors (for example in hybrid cars) and generators (for example aircraft and wind turbine electric generators).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
howdy ADTG, don't be fooled, the 18.3 is one insane sub. Nathan and Mark explained it to me and it does have as much as 2 18.0's, but i dont remember how they got to that conclusion.:eek: but i have heard them and yes... the 18.3 puts the 18.0 in a choke-hold. :D
Physically I can see why the 18.3 would output more than the 18.0.

But I'm confused about why the 18.0 has a max output of 126dB & the 18.3 has a max output of 124dB, especially if the 18.3 is supposed to be SIGNIFICANTLY more potent in output.

A 2dB advantage is statistically significant, right?

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
A 2dB advantage is statistically significant, right?
Depends where.

In the low end, no it is not that large an audible advantage. On the electrical side of things it is quite an advantage.
The db is an interesting thing to describe shifts in sound pressure level. But our hearing is not even ( nor truly logarithmic ) in how we perceive changes in sound pressure level. There is the acuity factor to deal with. We have the greatest hearing acuity in the voice range. And less as we go higher and lower.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Depends where.

In the low end, no it is not that large an audible advantage. On the electrical side of things it is quite an advantage.
The db is an interesting thing to describe shifts in sound pressure level. But our hearing is not even ( nor truly logarithmic ) in how we perceive changes in sound pressure level. There is the acuity factor to deal with. We have the greatest hearing acuity in the voice range. And less as we go higher and lower.
So you mean it is significant if the 2dB-3dB advantage is between 50Hz-125Hz, but not from 10Hz-50Hz?

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
So you mean it is significant if the 2dB-3dB advantage is between 50Hz-125Hz, but not from 10Hz-50Hz?
To offer my 2 cents: 2-3dB can be quite significant as you go down in frequency. As you'll note in this article:
The Decibel (dB) Scale & Audio Rules 101 — Reviews and News from Audioholics
As you go down in frequency, it takes less additional output to achieve a perceived doubling of loudness at 20Hz than it does at 1kHz (though as you go up in volume, this effect does lessen looking at the equal loudness chart). Moreover, since you feel 20Hz, it's worth noting that a 3dB rise equates to a 40% increase in pressure, and a 2dB increase equates to a 25% increase in pressure. As you push higher and higher in volume, a 25% or 40% increase can amount to a useful difference in tactile feel.

With respect to the 18.3 vs the 18.0, I can't claim to know a lot about the actual performance of these two subwoofers, particularly as they relate to one another. However, I would opine that a 2dB performance advantage at 120Hz is much less useful than a 2dB performance advantage at 20Hz. Why? Well if you're watching a movie on a 5.1 system with your speakers crossed at 80Hz, you could have a theoretical peak of 123dB at those lower frequencies since you're summing the 105dBx5 peaks of the satellite channels with the 115dB peak of the LFE channel. At 120Hz, you're at the upper brick wall limit of the LFE channel, and the input of the satellite channels will be much reduced assuming you're going by the THX standard 24dB/octave low pass filter for the sub.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
To offer my 2 cents: 2-3dB can be quite significant as you go down in frequency. As you'll note in this article:
The Decibel (dB) Scale & Audio Rules 101 — Reviews and News from Audioholics
As you go down in frequency, it takes less additional output to achieve a perceived doubling of loudness at 20Hz than it does at 1kHz (though as you go up in volume, this effect does lessen looking at the equal loudness chart). Moreover, since you feel 20Hz, it's worth noting that a 3dB rise equates to a 40% increase in pressure, and a 2dB increase equates to a 25% increase in pressure. As you push higher and higher in volume, a 25% or 40% increase can amount to a useful difference in tactile feel.

With respect to the 18.3 vs the 18.0, I can't claim to know a lot about the actual performance of these two subwoofers, particularly as they relate to one another. However, I would opine that a 2dB performance advantage at 120Hz is much less useful than a 2dB performance advantage at 20Hz. Why? Well if you're watching a movie on a 5.1 system with your speakers crossed at 80Hz, you could have a theoretical peak of 123dB at those lower frequencies since you're summing the 105dBx5 peaks of the satellite channels with the 115dB peak of the LFE channel. At 120Hz, you're at the upper brick wall limit of the LFE channel, and the input of the satellite channels will be much reduced assuming you're going by the THX standard 24dB/octave low pass filter for the sub.
I think it would be clearer if we know where the peak output is.

Is the F18.0's 126dB peak output at 20Hz, 30Hz, 40Hz, etc?

Is the peak output of the 18.3 at 20Hz, 30Hz, 40Hz, etc?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I think it would be clearer if we know where the peak output is.

Is the F18.0's 126dB peak output at 20Hz, 30Hz, 40Hz, etc?

Is the peak output of the 18.3 at 20Hz, 30Hz, 40Hz, etc?
Just out of curiosity, why are you making such a big deal out of this? Play a 100db 20Hz test tone on your current 18.0s and it is highly likely you'll get nauseated in short order. For your room (and mine), and someone who has repeatedly argued against listening at very loud levels, I can't believe you could tell the difference in output capabilities between these subs. I think the 18.3 is most interesting to someone like me, who really only wants to have one monster sub in his room, not two like you do.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just out of curiosity, why are you making such a big deal out of this? Play a 100db 20Hz test tone on your current 18.0s and it is highly likely you'll get nauseated in short order. For your room (and mine), and someone who has repeatedly argued against listening at very loud levels, I can't believe you could tell the difference in output capabilities between these subs. I think the 18.3 is most interesting to someone like me, who really only wants to have one monster sub in his room, not two like you do.
I'm not making a big deal out of anything. It's okay to just talk, no? That's what forum is about. If you have any kind of question, that's what forum is for. But if this is such a big deal, then please let's end the discussion.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I'm not making a big deal out of anything. It's okay to just talk, no? That's what forum is about. If you have any kind of question, that's what forum is for. But if this is such a big deal, then please let's end the discussion.
Woke up on the wrong side of the bed? Weak coffee? :)

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
I think this is interesting and important and support you !

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Children Please! Don't make me get up!

DJ
I eat breakfast 300 yards from 4000 members who disagree with me, so don't think for one second that you can come in here, threaten me with a spanking, and make me nervous. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis