Funk Audio 18.2 Dual 18" Sealed Subwoofer Preview

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think this is interesting and important and support you !
Thanks. I'm glad I'm not the only one. :D
Perhaps I should ask everyone if my I'm making a big deal out of something before I post. Apparently asking about the frequency of the peak output is too big of a deal. :eek:
Or asking for an explanation as to why a sub with 124dB peak output has twice the output of a sub with 126dB peak.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Perhaps I should ask everyone if my I'm making a big deal out of something before I post. Apparently asking about the frequency of the peak output is too big of a deal. :eek:
Or asking for an explanation as to why a sub with 124dB peak output has twice the output of a sub with 126dB peak.
Lighten up. I didn't intend my comment to have the deep meaning you're inferring. We've agreed and gotten along for hundreds of posts.

The web page says the 18.3 advantage is from 14-40Hz. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the 18.0 produced slightly higher output in the 40-80Hz octave, while the 18.3 was 4-6db more potent below 40Hz, which would account for the twice-the-18.0 comment.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I eat breakfast 300 yards from 4000 members who disagree with me, so don't think for one second that you can come in here, threaten me with a spanking, and make me nervous. ;)
Gawd, why does that ​not surprise me.

DJ

Last edited by a moderator:
djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
Lighten up. I didn't intend my comment to have the deep meaning you're inferring. We've agreed and gotten along for hundreds of posts.

The web page says the 18.3 advantage is from 14-40Hz. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the 18.0 produced slightly higher output in the 40-80Hz octave, while the 18.3 was 4-6db more potent below 40Hz, which would account for the twice-the-18.0 comment.

...and I think this is precisely the point. Output dependent upon range of frequency. We'd need an apples to apples comparison ie 20Hz-100Hz as a pre-defined range. Anyone can create a parameter based on the maximum db output hump generated within a spec.

DJ

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
You should make a poll to the forum before each post that may be considered making a deal of things, LOL :D

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Tiz what it iz

<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--> As promised.
Below you have a graph that many have seen in one form or another. This one is special in that it goes a way down low and is according to the latest research available.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]-->
<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <![endif]-->Low and Ultra low hearing thresholds.jpg

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--> So what do all the lines indicate? The bottom line is the threshold that we can hear these frequencies. As you can see our hearing is not linear or even truly logarithmic in it sensitivity to sound as we move along in frequency be they higher or lower.
The vertical scale is in decibels and the horizontal scale is in hertz. The vertical divisions are in increments of twenty decibels. So I invite you to look at this carefully after you read the description and all this talk about louder and what not will start to have point of reference.

Start at 100 hertz and count the vertical lines back. Each vertical line is an increment of ten hertz. Now looking at the solid curved lines running from the left to the right. Where the intersections meet from the vertical to the horizontal is the points where you have the following information.
Let's say you go back four vertical divisions from 100 hertz to 60 hertz. The threshold where we can hear that tone is about 39 db. Drop down an octave to 30 hertz and the threshold of just hearing this tone is 63 db.

As mentioned a few db is not going to change things to much. The other lines are showing an interesting attribute of our hearing.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <![endif]-->

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--> Below is the same information in a much expanded vertical scale.
As the overall sound pressure increases our hearing begins to linearize or the changes in frequency versus how we perceive changes in loudness begin to get a bit more level. Look at the 100 phon level and you will see that effect.

ISO226LoudnessCurves.gif

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
<!--[if gte mso 9]><![endif]--> So now the question regarding the drivers and the maximum sound pressure level they can produce.
The following numbers come from actual measurements done at two meters on a ground plane. They are the Dual Funk Audio sub detailed in this thread:
12 hertz 115.5 db 12.5% distortion
14 hertz 121.5 db 6.5% distortion
20 hertz 127.5 db 7.75% distortion
25 hertz 128 db 7% distortion
32 hertz 130 db 4% distortion
40 hertz 125 3.5% distortion
50 hertz 123.5 7% distortion
63 hertz 126.5 5.6 % distortion
In a room you can get significantly more sound pressure level. Add a minimum of 6 db to each number due to dual boundary reflection. As you drop below 30 hertz you can add 9 to 12 decibels to each number due to room gain and dual boundary reflection.

20130119210248.png

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Sorry to break it up. But I canna paste it as a complete unit.

B

Bghead8che

Audioholic Intern
He bought the $50k a pair speakers he reviewed, think these would be in his price bracket :p then again, with those speakers I don't think he needs subs :)
He did not pay ANYWHERE near $50K for them. Trust me. :p

-Brian

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Finally releasing some info on this beast eh? :)
Nah,,,, It just slipped out.

There's no point sitting on all this information and not doing something with it.

I have to characterize the sound like this. The closest thing I have every heard to a properly designed front loaded horn. Mind you the front loaded horn is just a little bit bigger!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis