Front and Rear presence speakers

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Is it only Yamaha receivers that have this option? And if so, what is the advantage of them (if there is one), and the point? I read that if you've got the front presence speakers on, that the rear surrounds don't work? Just wondering what they're good for?

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Is it only Yamaha receivers that have this option? And if so, what is the advantage of them (if there is one), and the point? I read that if you've got the front presence speakers on, that the rear surrounds don't work? Just wondering what they're good for?
On the front presence there used in dialogue lift to raise the center up to match the screen and also are used in cinema 3-D for sound effects front and rear I assume if yours is like mine you’ll need an outboard amp for the rears to work . If setup and calibration is done correctly it should be immersive in your room .

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What vintage?
Older pre Atmos Yamahas had presence function, as did others ala PLIIZ. Ime it makes the mains sound taller as the “presence” feature simply extracted material from the LR. Iirc, newer Yamaha AVR’s also call height speakers presence speakers to refer to the ones used for Atmos, dtsX and auro 3d playback. To me, omits just more of Yamahas confusing literature.
IMO, for use as Atmos, yes it’s worth it. For use as simple presence speakers, it’s not worth it as much. It’s nice, but just ok.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
What vintage?
Older pre Atmos Yamahas had presence function, as did others ala PLIIZ. Ime it makes the mains sound taller as the “presence” feature simply extracted material from the LR. Iirc, newer Yamaha AVR’s also call height speakers presence speakers to refer to the ones used for Atmos, dtsX and auro 3d playback. To me, omits just more of Yamahas confusing literature.
IMO, for use as Atmos, yes it’s worth it. For use as simple presence speakers, it’s not worth it as much. It’s nice, but just ok.
My receiver is a 2015 RX-A2040. It has Atmos capabilities.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
My receiver is a 2015 RX-A2040. It has Atmos capabilities.

This is what I have. Mine is the model RXA2060 so almost the same.

Running 5.1.4 with front and rear presence and I use DSU on everything to upmix.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
This is what I have. Mine is the model RXA2060 so almost the same.

Running 5.1.4 with front and rear presence and I use DSU on everything to upmix.
So, do you have side/rear surround sound speakers, or are they not needed with the front/rear presence speakers?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So, do you have side/rear surround sound speakers, or are they not needed with the front/rear presence speakers?
5.1 base layer

Rears are to the side on walls

Front and rear presence on front and back walls

Consists of:

Canton 836
Canton 556.2
Canton 516.2 On Wall
Canton AR800 Front Presence
SVS Prime Elevation Rear Presence
Rythmik LVX12 Sub

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Definitely needed.
Just so I'm getting this straight then:

L/C/R
Subwoofer(s)
Side Surround L/R
Rear Surround L/R
Front Presence L/R
Rear Presence L/R

So that's an 11.2 set up. Which my receiver doesn't support, only 9.2

Also, maybe I'm reading it wrong, but my understanding was that the front presence speakers once turned on in the modes they operate in means that there will be no sound from the rear surround speakers anyway.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That’s correct. On that model 2040, if you use the 4 for Atmos you lose the surround back.

It’s 9 channels total. Same with 2050/2060/2070/&2080.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Just so I'm getting this straight then:

L/C/R
Subwoofer(s)
Side Surround L/R
Rear Surround L/R
Front Presence L/R
Rear Presence L/R

So that's an 11.2 set up. Which my receiver doesn't support, only 9.2

Also, maybe I'm reading it wrong, but my understanding was that the front presence speakers once turned on in the modes they operate in means that there will be no sound from the rear surround speakers anyway.
That’s correct. On that model 2040, if you use the 4 for Atmos you lose the surround back.

Should be able to use an external amp via pre outs though correct?
FWIW, I would rather do 5.1.4 than 7.1.2.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic

So what, if any in your opinion, is the advantage of having the 4 Atmos speakers vs having side/rear surround speakers?

I guess what I'm getting at/trying to figure out is if I need to buy the Presence speakers at all, or just stick with my 7.2 set up I'm running currently.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
So what, if any in your opinion, is the advantage of having the 4 Atmos speakers vs having side/rear surround speakers?

I guess what I'm getting at/trying to figure out is if I need to buy the Presence speakers at all, or just stick with my 7.2 set up I'm running currently.
Well you wouldn’t have either/or. You have 2 or 4 height/presence/Atmos speakers AND bed layer speakers be it 5ch or 7ch. That’s how we get to 5.1.2, 5.1.4, 7.1.2, and 7.1.4 etc.
IE: 5.1.4= 5 satellite speakers(bed layer) .1 lfe channel, .4 height layer.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Btw @snakeeyes, did I ever say how excited I was for you to finally dive into the Atmos pool? If not, I definitely meant to. Even if it’s without the c34e’s...
Lol

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would definitely want 5.1.4 over 7.1.2 or 7.1

Having 4 Atmos speakers is a lot better than 2.

I definitely don’t miss the surround back.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Btw @snakeeyes, did I ever say how excited I was for you to finally dive into the Atmos pool? If not, I definitely meant to. Even if it’s without the c34e’s...
Lol
I really enjoy Atmos. I didn’t think it was going to be a big deal but of course I was wrong. LOL :)

Even the GF had to admit it’s great. She mentioned birds behind her and other 3D type effects. She definitely chooses to watch movies in the Atmos room over the living room now. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I really enjoy Atmos. I didn’t think it was going to be a big deal but of course I was wrong. LOL :)

Even the GF had to admit it’s great. She mentioned birds behind her and other 3D type effects. She definitely chooses to watch movies in the Atmos room over the living room now. :)
Nice! I knew once you got there you’d love it. It’s been hard to get the house to myself to have some fun, but even regular stuff with the upmixers is fun.
Congrats!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Nice! I knew once you got there you’d love it. It’s been hard to get the house to myself to have some fun, but even regular stuff with the upmixers is fun.
Congrats!
Thanks man! Well I actually have to thank all of you guys for all the helpful hints along the way. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis