From Marantz AV8801 to AVR-X4400H/X3400H, is it a downgrade, or upgrade?

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I typically use no smoothing for frequencies below transition and 1/12 for above and the graphs I posted are with no smoothing at all. It is strange that we have opposite results, i.e. manual EQ (REW/PEQ/minidsp) works better for you, and auto REQ (only Audyssey so far) works better for me.

If I understood right Dirac Live has a free 30 day trial, that should give me enough time to find out if it works well in my rooms too. If the PC/Mac version is in fact available for the free trail then I am going to do for sure, and soon.
Measurement positions and MICs make a huge difference, especially above the transition frequency.
Here is a smoothed comparison of 3 of my MICs made a while back using the XMC-1 Reference Stereo (no processing).
I don't recall the smoothing but there is correlation that falls apart at higher frequencies,
XMC-1 REW All Mics Reference Stereo.jpg

Auto-cal may do a better job on the measurements, however, I preferred PEQ which had less impact on the soundstage.
I measured Dirac with the Curtain set to 25Hz (no processing above) and compared it to the XMC-1 Reference Stereo.
While seated 8 feet from each speaker (in a 30+ foot room), the difference is imaging between Reference Stereo and Dirac was obvious.
The frequency sweeps of both overplayed with no significant difference. I suspect the difference is related to the DSP processing and time related.

The modest changes to PEQ did not have this effect.

REQ cannot correct the room. It can only optimize some listening positions at the cost of others.
I have a lot of listening positions so this is not the fix for me.

- Rich

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Measurement positions and MICs make a huge difference, especially above the transition frequency.
Here is a smoothed comparison of 3 of my MICs made a while back using the XMC-1 Reference Stereo (no processing).
I don't recall the smoothing but there is correlation that falls apart at higher frequencies,View attachment 24930

Auto-cal may do a better job on the measurements, however, I preferred PEQ which had less impact on the soundstage.
I measured Dirac with the Curtain set to 25Hz (no processing above) and compared it to the XMC-1 Reference Stereo.
While seated 8 feet from each speaker (in a 30+ foot room), the difference is imaging between Reference Stereo and Dirac was obvious.
The frequency sweeps of both overplayed with no significant difference. I suspect the difference is related to the DSP processing and time related.

The modest changes to PEQ did not have this effect.

REQ cannot correct the room. It can only optimize some listening positions at the cost of others.
I have a lot of listening positions so this is not the fix for me.

- Rich
Mic positions, like sitting positions, do make a lot of difference. I don't have many sitting positions like you do, but I am going to take more measurements to find out if Audyssey optimized for my main seat on expense of others. My educated guess is, it might, but more likely random, not necessarily by design.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
So far I am very happy with the "upgrade". The Denon definitely did better in the bass response than the AV8801, both have the same XT32 Sub EQ HT, so called Audyssey Plattinum. Denon - blue, Marantz - red.

I either didn't, or couldn't find the plot for the X4400H, so the blue is the X3400H, both calibrated in the two channel LS50, E15HP based system. The graphs are for the subwoofer only, the A21 was turned off for the measurements. Also, the blue one is run from the AVR, not the App, so it is unedited. No smoothing for both.

X3400HVsAV8801.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis