Folded motion tweeters

C

coilman01

Enthusiast
Does folded motion tweeters from 2 different speaker companies sound the same or is there a signature sound that they are going for? An example of martin logan mains or golden ear with airmotiva heights from emotiva ? absent the crossover point? Thanks in advance

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Does folded motion tweeters from 2 different speaker companies sound the same or is there a signature sound that they are going for? An example of martin logan mains or golden ear with airmotiva heights from emotiva ? absent the crossover point? Thanks in advance
No, there is a wide range of quality and sound signature in AMT tweeters, probably as much as there is in dome tweeters. Don't think that AMT tweeters are anything special on their own. There are great AMTs, and there are bad ones.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Like everything else there are good and bad designs. I think part of the issue is they are trendy. However, from what I can deduce, I don't think they are necessarily better than more traditional designs which are simpler and cheaper to produce. They have not really solved the problem of high frequency beaming as frequency increases. That is the issue that really needs solving in tweeter design and that is not really cracked.

So, the bottom line is that there are good an bad tweeters of all types, and I think we do tend to have our preferences. Another way of putting it is: How to like to take your poison!"

I personally favor good soft dome units with a very shallow wave guide. My favorite is this tweeter. That is a good smooth accurate tweeter that never offends.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis