Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I didn't see this thread until it was already on page 8, whoa! I can't keep up!

I live in Miami Beach.

I'm at school now though, and I'm graduating in December and starting to worry about a good place to rent. I'll be working in Opa-Locka, so ideally I'd like to stay in Miami because traffic would be in my favor (although I honestly think I prefer lauderdale, but can't justify the drive). Everything is so expensive in south Florida, I'm pretty worried about it. I'm hoping the property recession or whatever is going to be helpful for me. I don't need a big place, just, a place. haha. That or I'll live in my car for a year and save up, haha. Maybe get a panel van and live in that. Always wanted to do that anyways. ;)
Right now is a good time to buy a home in Florida, if you're going to at all. Or you could live in a van down by the river, whichever. :D

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
Now, if you could only convince my wife...:)
Well, that's not to say that the prices here are necessarily cheap obviously, but the market is definitely in favor of the buyer these days. You can't drive through a neighborhood in the suburbs without counting the "For Sale" signs up and down each street. ;)

sleepysurf

sleepysurf

Junior Audioholic
For those in the Tampa Bay area... just a reminder about our local group... the Tampa Bay Listening Society. We are a growing group of high-end (mid-fi OK too) audiophiles (also videophiles) who meet every month. I am actually hosting the next meeting this Tues, Feb 5, 7-10pm, in the North Carrollwood area. PM me if interested. I tried to get Gene hooked up with us last year, but he was too busy. Maybe Gene, Clint, or Tom can make it this time!

Last edited:
C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Right now is a good time to buy a home in Florida, if you're going to at all. Or you could live in a van down by the river, whichever. :D
Yeah, I know. Unfortunetly, right out of school I won't be able to afford a home. I do want to buy as soon as I can, but I'm a believer in low overhead and living below my means, so it might be a bit. I'm hoping the low market will maybe help me find a place to rent that is reasonable, at least. All those condos they are building in Miami blow my mind, half of them are mostly empty, but I don't want to go into a building that is going to go broke either. So, I'm really hoping to find a townhouse or a condo building that is well established, even if it costs me more.

The van idea is still a possibility though....

I had a friend live in one of the bay storage/office buildings that are all over south florida. As long as the landlord doesn't care, it's not a horrible idea. Showers are easy to put in, sink is already there, park your car in your bay. haha.

Well, that's not to say that the prices here are necessarily cheap obviously, but the market is definitely in favor of the buyer these days. You can't drive through a neighborhood in the suburbs without counting the "For Sale" signs up and down each street. ;)
Yeah, people are still asking stupid money for stuff though. Especially in Miami Beach. I'd be interested to know what the places that sell actually sell for.

I'd love to have one of those slip town houses they built in like north miami. Put a fish boat in the back, don't need to worry about landscaping. I bet they are crazy cash though.

Last edited:
stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I know. Unfortunetly, right out of school I won't be able to afford a home. I do want to buy as soon as I can, but I'm a believer in low overhead and living below my means, so it might be a bit. I'm hoping the low market will maybe help me find a place to rent that is reasonable, at least. All those condos they are building in Miami blow my mind, half of them are mostly empty, but I don't want to go into a building that is going to go broke either. So, I'm really hoping to find a townhouse or a condo building that is well established, even if it costs me more.

The van idea is still a possibility though....

I had a friend live in one of the bay storage/office buildings that are all over south florida. As long as the landlord doesn't care, it's not a horrible idea. Showers are easy to put in, sink is already there, park your car in your bay. haha.

Yeah, people are still asking stupid money for stuff though. Especially in Miami Beach. I'd be interested to know what the places that sell actually sell for.

I'd love to have one of those slip town houses they built in like north miami. Put a fish boat in the back, don't need to worry about landscaping. I bet they are crazy cash though.
Cb,

Prices have dropped approximately 20%, they might drop 10% more, but that's about it. South Florida prices will never be as low as pre-boom days, when you could get a nice 3 bedroom 2 bath single family home with a very decent lot (7000-8000 square feet) for about $ 120,000.00 in a very nice central neighborhood. The Brickell Area you can find 1 bedroom 2 baths in the new buidings for about $400,000.00, the beach area, if you're familiar with the Green Diamond, my buddy unloaded a 2 bedroom 2 bath condo, with a side view of the sea for a cool $1,000,000.00 and the market was already cooling (mid 2007), so figure that unit now will go for $800,000.00, crazy still.

100r1

Junior Audioholic
Buyers market, yep $ 300K now gets you a 2br 2 Bth 1800 square foot in a crappy Neighborhood (oh Dang thats where I live) where 6 months ago it cost you $ 350K.

Oh yes, Florida voters saw the light and voted YES for the tax admendment which should lower our property taxes and the big part gives us TRANSPORTABILITY of our current taxes to a new purchase. Now I have lived in the current house for 20 years and with the 3% save our home transfered to a new purchase........ I think I'm outa here!

I know people in my neighborhood were paying $ 6,000 property taxes on a similar house to mine OUCH! then you add the rape and pillage the insurance company's are charging since hurricane Wilma / katrina and no wonder there are 3 houses on my block the banks are forclosing on. The Housing situation in south Florida sucks if your a seller. BUYERS market!

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
sister in law just picked up a house(2900sq) on grand canal in lhp for 750k, 2 houses on the otherside still listed over 1.2, its definetly a buyers market

100r1

Junior Audioholic

Search here for DADE http://www.miamidade.gov/pa/

AND HERE for BROWARD http://www.bcpa.net/

majorloser

majorloser

I'm the poor working slob in my family. That's why I moved to Melbourne. AFFORDABLE HOUSING.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
I won't be able to buy yet, fresh out of college. Between insurance, food, utilities and such I'll be tight on cash. I have a good job lined up, but, I'll still have to rent for sure. I'd like to be in a nice neighborhood, but I don't know. It seems like in Dade you are either in a nice area or the hood. Good thing for the german shepard, haha. ;) Broward gets too far north for me to get to work, I'll be in traffic all morning and night.

LOL - still cracks me up every time I see that skit. :D
Haha, well you guys can all come laugh at me when I'm living in a van down by the river. "Well, la-dee-FREAKIN-da!!! You're gunna be doing a lot of doobie rollin when your living in a VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!#$!" (Note the avatar, haha).

majorloser

majorloser

Living in a Van Down By The River

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
Haha. My first post will be:

Topic: Bookshelves for a Van Down by the River

Hello, I have a 1985 Dodge Ram Van 150 with a Kicker ZX450.2 amplifier and a Kenwood headunit. I was wondering what bookself speakers would match well with my amplifier? I also need to be able to strap them down. I have already installed acoustical treatments (blankets along the walls of the van). All equipment recommended must be suitable for smokey environments.

I was thinking these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/325151-REG/JBL_JRX112M_JRX112M_12_Passive.html

What do you think?
Haha.

We should for sure get a group together at some point. Maybe bring some equipment to test out or whatever. It would be a really good way to get a wide variety of opinions on equipment and give the opportunity for people to demo things they haven't before.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
I won't be able to buy yet, fresh out of college. Between insurance, food, utilities and such I'll be tight on cash. I have a good job lined up, but, I'll still have to rent for sure. I'd like to be in a nice neighborhood, but I don't know. It seems like in Dade you are either in a nice area or the hood. Good thing for the german shepard, haha. ;) Broward gets too far north for me to get to work, I'll be in traffic all morning and night.
With rent prices the way they are, buying seems to be be the logical option. Ive got a 2/2 condo 1mi from the beach, rent it for 1300 per, cant sell it for what i want. A 200000 >30 year at 5.75 is less than 1200 per. Other costs could being it up to 1700 per.

C

cbraver

Audioholic Chief
With rent prices the way they are, buying seems to be be the logical option. Ive got a 2/2 condo 1mi from the beach, rent it for 1300 per, cant sell it for what i want. A 200000 >30 year at 5.75 is less than 1200 per. Other costs could being it up to 1700 per.
Yeah. Rent doesn't seem to have gone down for the most part, but there is more for rent. Someone I work with has a 1 bedroom in Miami Beach that is 1400 a month. Crazy, and it's all money down the drain. I like Keystone, SoBe, Miami Beach, Coconut Grove and some of the areas inbetween, but I'm certainly not in a position to buy anything.

My dream is a townhouse, because I won't have time for landscaping when I'm starting work, and I don't want to live in an apartment building if I don't have to.

Since there are so many Florida guys on here, I'll probably be asking for lots of help when I have to start looking. I'm pretty worried about it!

stratman

stratman

Audioholic Ninja
Cb,

Pm when you're ready, my wife and I are in the industry, so I'm sure I can help.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis