First Audessey Experience

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Pogre, William pointed out in the graph 50hz peak roll off where Audyssey is making adjustments are to Compensate for a null in the room?
I'm not sure what you're asking me. Did Audyssey cause a premature rolloff to compensate for a peak? Possibly. I lean toward the sub position or capabilities based on that graph tho.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I tried to move the sub to the corner next to the couch. The graph looks better, right?

If I enable DEQ and turn up the level of the sub then I definitely get enough bass. So I think it's mainly now a matter of striking the right balance. It would be awesome if you could automatically adjust DEQ depending on the type of content you are listening to.

More to play around with... :)
What happens if you turn the subs eq function off(forgot it had that)? This before graph still has a huge peak at 50hz. I’m wondering if the subs dsp is has a bump at 50 as well that’s totally exaggerating that mode. Or the sub, and audyssey are both over compensating for that 50hz peak and destroying the low end roll off point. I would try NOT using the subs eq and see what the before graph looks like after Audyssey at that point. I also know it’s a sealed subwoofer, and would naturally start rolling off around 30hz but the new before has a peak at 30 and 50. In my mind Audyssey would pull those down and level 30-50 range and have a shallower roll off towards 20hz.
Instead, the calculation(after graph) shows it rolling off at 50hz. WTH???
Placement is rule number one, so maybe you can play with that some more too.
Rew would be nice here. Lol

D

depechefan

Audioholic
What happens if you turn the subs eq function off(forgot it had that)? This before graph still has a huge peak at 50hz. I’m wondering if the subs dsp is has a bump at 50 as well that’s totally exaggerating that mode. Or the sub, and audyssey are both over compensating for that 50hz peak and destroying the low end roll off point. I would try NOT using the subs eq and see what the before graph looks like after Audyssey at that point. I also know it’s a sealed subwoofer, and would naturally start rolling off around 30hz but the new before has a peak at 30 and 50. In my mind Audyssey would pull those down and level 30-50 range and have a shallower roll off towards 20hz.
Right. I'll give that a go at some point and report back. I doubt that I'll get around to it tonight...

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I'm not sure what you're asking me. Did Audyssey cause a premature rolloff to compensate for a peak? Possibly. I lean toward the sub position or capabilities based on that graph tho.
Yes that’s what i was asking, if Audyssey had made the corrections. I’m trying to learn more about auto correction use. I’m learning a Lot from you guys on auto correction use. I’m seeing now that it’s not really a Gimmick thing that some believe that it is very useful.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah back then I was always preaching DEQ. :D
Morning Mr. Scientist! But you Andrew understand it’s use better than most of us underdogs, not talking about PENG he a Guru when it comes to things of this Nature. Or Shady J aka Yoda. Pogre, he Pretty good to. You guys been using Upper end audio gear and understand Pre Pros, AVR auto correction better than the average HT guy.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes that’s what i was asking, if Audyssey had made the corrections. I’m trying to learn more about auto correction use. I’m learning a Lot from you guys on auto correction use. I’m seeing now that it’s not really a Gimmick thing that some believe that it is very useful.
My experience has shown me that Audyssey does an excellent job of dealing with peaks, but nulls from room modes as you know, are very difficult to deal with.

D

depechefan

Audioholic
I have tried Audessey again with the sub in the corner. I reset the sub to factory settings before I ran the receiver calibration. I have attached the new and old graphs so it's easy to compare. I don't see a huge difference tbh. Haven't had a chance to really listen yet so can't say if there's an audible difference at this point.

Attachments

D

depechefan

Audioholic
I've been reading through a ton of articles about this today to try and understand how I can improve this. Looks like there is little reason to adjust things based on what audyssey will try to do in order to reach an ideal curve. So Rew is the logical next step. Looks very tedious... But I might have time during the Easter break so I will probably give it a go. At least then I know my way around it once I have my new room (or the existing with a modified layout).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been reading through a ton of articles about this today to try and understand how I can improve this. Looks like there is little reason to adjust things based on what audyssey will try to do in order to reach an ideal curve. So Rew is the logical next step. Looks very tedious... But I might have time during the Easter break so I will probably give it a go. At least then I know my way around it once I have my new room (or the existing with a modified layout).
Dual subs is the next logical step. 2 is always better than one and will help straighten out that bass response.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis