Finally coming together

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
You appear to have glue bleed on the side. I hope you got to it before it dried. It can be a real pain after the fact. I find a hot washcloth does wonders for cleaning up bleed. If it's not a water based. Acetone works wonders. I suggest you give plywood a go on your next speaker project. Just to see the difference assuming your saw blades can handle it.
I think the table saw can handle it. I tried to get most of it, but there was also a lot that was blocked by the clamps so there's more than I'd like there. After having worked with MDF this build I definitely want to try ply for the next one. The speaker stands I'm actually making out of solid hardwood. Not because of some newfound confidence in my abilities but because its almost literally a board glued to a stick glued to another board. I figured even I couldn't bugger that up, but I've been wrong before :D

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I think the table saw can handle it. I tried to get most of it, but there was also a lot that was blocked by the clamps so there's more than I'd like there. After having worked with MDF this build I definitely want to try ply for the next one. The speaker stands I'm actually making out of solid hardwood. Not because of some newfound confidence in my abilities but because its almost literally a board glued to a stick glued to another board. I figured even I couldn't bugger that up, but I've been wrong before :D
Plywood is tougher on blades in my experience, but if you got a solid Forrest or Freud level blade you should be golden. If you run a 1/4" rabbit down the ends of the ply when you put them together it puts 1/2" quarter round in the gap making finishing a breeze it also gives you a tighter seal. Of course seeing your other work I have know doubt you no what you are doing.

I'd definitely make stands out of hardwood not panel wood myself. Though I love making shelves with plywood. It's light, strong, and durable.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Plywood is tougher on blades in my experience, but if you got a solid Forrest or Freud level blade you should be golden. If you run a 1/4" rabbit down the ends of the ply when you put them together it puts 1/2" quarter round in the gap making finishing a breeze it also gives you a tighter seal. Of course seeing your other work I have know doubt you no what you are doing.

I'd definitely make stands out of hardwood not panel wood myself. Though I love making shelves with plywood. It's light, strong, and durable.
I definitely have more of an idea than actually knowing what I'm doing :D Besides, never know to much to not learn something new. I'll definitely think about that rabbet next time I go to put something together, I was also looking into these. Not sure how they would work out, but another interesting option I think. Truth be told, what I'm really looking into is a CNC machine. I figure it is going to cost me about $5000 for the kit, table top, and wood for the base. So far I have $3.76 saved up towards it :rolleyes: Might be a few years.

Yea, I just ordered some wood from Baird Brothers. Nothing fancy, just a couple baseball bat blanks and a few boards. I may rotate the blank 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond and throw a few round overs here and there to make it not look so blocky. Depending on how the wood looks, I may go no stain, sealer coat, and a spray on lacquer. Quick and dirty stands to get the surrounds off the end tables which I'm getting an earful about. :)

One last note, I was actually going to use the maple veneered ply to make the sub with MDF bracing, but I figured if I boogered it up too badly I'd be out a lot more than $60. So I don't think I wasted $60 of MDF, but now know that I hate working with it. I definitely see the draw to ply and baltic birch ply :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
...with a maple syrup finish.:D
Duh :D

Found out the wood will be here tomorrow. Then I can make a few cuts and dry fit some things together to see how it will look. The build should be quick, maybe a day. The finishing should take a week or so barring any big mistakes.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
Truth be told, what I'm really looking into is a CNC machine. I figure it is going to cost me about $5000 for the kit, table top, and wood for the base. So far I have $3.76 saved up towards it :rolleyes: Might be a few years.

Yea, I just ordered some wood from Baird Brothers. Nothing fancy, just a couple baseball bat blanks and a few boards. I may rotate the blank 45 degrees so it looks like a diamond and throw a few round overs here and there to make it not look so blocky. Depending on how the wood looks, I may go no stain, sealer coat, and a spray on lacquer. Quick and dirty stands to get the surrounds off the end tables which I'm getting an earful about. :)

One last note, I was actually going to use the maple veneered ply to make the sub with MDF bracing.
I use only handheld tools. So at least you are further ahead of the curve than me. A solid Crosscut sled with a table saw does the job very well. You really don't need a lot else. Sawmill Creek does have some really nice setups though.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I use only handheld tools. So at least you are further ahead of the curve than me. A solid Crosscut sled with a table saw does the job very well. You really don't need a lot else. Sawmill Creek does have some really nice setups though.
Funny you should mention the sled. I had just read about those the other day and found construction plans for one and downloaded the PDF.

The CNC is more because I think it's cool, can use any material I want because I won't have to worry about any cutting errors, and because then curved stacked cabinets are possible. Besides, maybe I can start knocking out flat packs for all the members if I ever get it :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Looking slick!
Thanks, I know the edges came out a little burned, but I decided I kinda liked how it looked. Reminded me of the remote holder, so I only lightly sanded it to maintain some of the burnt parts.

One down, one to go. Then staining and lacquering and voila. No more speakers on end tables. Then she can find something else to complain about.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
When can I order some from you? :)
Now taking orders and deposits :D

In all seriousness I'd be happy to make somebody a pair of stands as long as they didn't want anything too complicated :D. Although I doubt anyone would want them since you could buy a pair for a lot cheaper. Solid hardwood is expensive. The wood for the above stands was about $80. Oh well, guess I gotta get my margins down before I jump into this :rolleyes: :p

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
Now taking orders and deposits :D

In all seriousness I'd be happy to make somebody a pair of stands as long as they didn't want anything too complicated :D. Although I doubt anyone would want them since you could buy a pair for a lot cheaper. Solid hardwood is expensive. The wood for the above stands was about $80. Oh well, guess I gotta get my margins down before I jump into this :rolleyes: :p
Ya, but hardwood also looks a lot better! You could get into the custom speaker stand business :p you'll be the next Salk!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ya, but hardwood also looks a lot better! You could get into the custom speaker stand business :p you'll be the next Salk!
Somehow I think Salk does minutely better work than I do :D

I'd much rather do that then actually work for a living :p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis