Finally coming together

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Yaaaaa... butts... That's what I was implying :p
I think the fact that, that is where your mind went first says a quite a bit about you :D :p

Plus there is the whole, you invited a dude over to help you open the jar ;)

Rut roh.

brianedm

brianedm

Audioholic General
I think the fact that, that is where your mind went first says a quite a bit about you :D :p

Plus there is the whole, you invited a dude over to help you open the jar ;)

Rut roh.
call me crazy, but it seems like you're saying there's something wrong with that :p

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Ha, just messing with ya, bud.
Oh thank goodness. I thought you were coming on to me and I was like :eek: Cuz I was like, well he already sold me Adam, what's his end game?

Then I thought about it some more and I was like ;):D

So......yea :)

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm too much of a chicken to create a build thread so I'll just make this one pull double duty.

AND SO IT BEGINS

I began by having the pieces of MDF cut at Lowes a few inches bigger than what I needed to that I could then make my own cuts. I just needed it a bit smaller than 4X8 so that I could fit it in my mom's SUV. Cleaning out the pickup truck was a lot more work than it would have been worth.

So here's what I've got so far. I've drawn all my cut lines. Tomorrow I'll see if I can get the table saw calibrated to ensure 90 degree cuts. Then I'll make a few test cuts to get used to the width of the blade. When I feel comfortable that I know where to place the cut line in relation to the blade so I know I'm not over or under cutting I'll make my cuts. Hopefully I can get it all cut tomorrow so I can start dry fitting pieces and possibly gluing.

My goal tomorrow is to get all the pieces cut, then get the two sides glued to the back. We'll see how that goes being New Years Eve :rolleyes:

Some of the tools that made this a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Last edited by a moderator:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I bet the girlfriend is loving this. :D
Ah, now you see this is the advantage to having an odd living situation.

Since you didn't ask I'll tell you :D

We're renting an apartment from my parents, Alex (EEA) can tell you all about it.

My parents live about 100 yards away in a 100+ year old farmhouse. The majority of said house was built by my grandfather, including the apartment we're living in (also old). Now the farmhouse is more accurately a farmhouse with about 15 additions on it over the course of its life. Because of all the additions if you looked at a cross section of it you would see that the left side has a living room, kitchen, a bedroom and bathroom (the last two upstairs). The right side has a living room, dining room, kitchen, tiny TV room, 4 bedrooms upstairs and a bathroom upstairs, and a sunroom off the master bedroom.

Because of this "dual house" situation, all this crap is in the unused older side living room. Ergo, happy girlfriend, slightly unhappy parents (read: mother) :D

Old man Faja is asking me to build him stuff while I have everything out. I told him to wait and see how the subwoofer comes out first to judge whether or not my woodworking skills are good enough for him :p :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Cool - thanks for the explanation. That will help me with my maps. :D

What's the first "E" stand for?
No need, I'm easily google mappable :D

Wait......what do you think the second E is for? :eek::confused:

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Full discription is "Old Eastern European Alex".

I'll take credit for the name thank you!:D

and thank you for keeping it alive.:)

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
This is not the Alex I met............or he was wearing a lot of clothes :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Progress. Not perfect progress, but I'm happy with how things are going so far. As with all builds I know where all my mistakes are and they are pretty glaring to my eyes :(.

Doesn't quite look as new as it did on Christmas Day :D

Got these sawhorses on Christmas as well. Boy did they come in handy. As you can see from the trays below this was after a fair amount of cutting.

Cutting out one of the braces. I only got one done because I'm going to do some experimenting with it, such as rounding over all of the interior edges.

Blurry but finished brace

The gluing begins. Unfortunately it wasn't as square as I thought it was which made the next step that much harder.

The next side going on. These clamps were worth every penny.

That's all for today. Mostly because I'm doing almost all of my work outside and it gets pretty darn cold by around 5 PM. I think I packed a fair amount into the few hours I put in today though. I don't feel like I rushed anything either, although a more experienced craftsman would probably beg to differ. Oh well, progress is progress :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis