Exclusive Denon AVR-3805 First Look!

A

ashera

Enthusiast
Is the US model only NTSC ???

Is the US model only NTSC ???
In other countries this product costs allmost 3 times as much!
I rather buy it from US and bring it in, but we are PAL.
Practically all videoproducts are PAL / NTSC. :mad:

K

keenan

Junior Audioholic
gene said:
As far as I know, everything works thru Dlink3, however via EXT ins bass management and room correction don't work. Clint has the test unit so I will have him correct me if I am wrong :eek:

Here is a couple of links as to what goes on with the different setups with Denon Link and Ext Inputs to a 3805 from a 5900:

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/5900BM.pdf
5900BM.pdf (application/pdf Object)

And;

http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/pdfs/5900_3805 setup tips.pdf
5900_3805 setup tips.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Jim

A

ashera

Enthusiast
Laurie, can you contact me privately ?

Have you bought yours ?

I need to find the best price in OZ. and am pissed off abot the US 1K versus the OZ 2.5 K diference in price ! Thanks.

www.ashera.com
:(

Malice

Malice

Enthusiast
ashera said:
I need to find the best price in OZ. and am pissed off abot the US 1K versus the OZ 2.5 K diference in price ! Thanks.
:(
Can you source from Hong Kong? Apparently the 3805 can be had for £535 (UKP equivalent).

Mal

L

laurie

Enthusiast
The digital transmission of Super Audio CD to the AVR-3805 or AVR-5803A from players equipped with 'DENON Link 3rd Edition' will become possible upon completion of the aforementioned approval process and at the stage where formal approval has been obtained.
Please tell me that the 3805 is READY and does NOT need a upgrade :( :(
cheers laurie

laurie said:
Please tell me that the 3805 is READY and does NOT need a upgrade :( :(
cheers laurie
I am waiting on an official response from Denon, but my understanding is that it's the DVD players that require updates.

Also remember, digital SACD (DSD) transmission has been approved for Firewire already, it's just the Denon Link 3rd implementation that is getting licensing/approval at the moment - meaning that it shouldn't be a very long amount of time now.

T

Trojanlaw

Audiophyte
For Hawke or Gene

Hawke or Gene -

I have now run the auto eq process several times and with the microphone in different locations and I continually receive a L/F Phase error. I have checked the polarity of my speakers and have ensured that they are properly setup. I am running B&W CDM 9NT's through a biwire configuration.

Just got off the phone with Denon tech support who said that if the error message continues to just ignore it and hit skip and that the settings should be accurate. The distance settings are spot on when I do this but I have great concern that if the receiver thinks that my front channels are out of phase that the parametric eq settings that it selects will not be accurate.

Should I be concerned?

Any help is appreciated.

A

Access Denied

Enthusiast
Volume Level

How high are most of you setting the volume level to on the 3805 when watching different sources?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have now run the auto eq process several times and with the microphone in different locations and I continually receive a L/F Phase error.
What is likely happening here is you have a speaker system, perhaps a 3-way where the wooder is wired out of phase from the mids/highs, to electrically sum at its crossover point. This can trick the auto setup into thinking your speakers are out of phase. This can also happen with other speaker designs and even the room can influence this. Use you ears and Avia phase test or equivalent, to ensure your speakers are wired in phase. I noted this in my Yamaha RX-V2400 review if you want to read more about this.

J

jaglad

Enthusiast
Access Denied, I usually have mine set at about -18 when watching films and around -30 when listerning to music. My last amp had a normal volume control with 1 to 10 on it, and never had that above 3 coz it was so loud. The Denon is more powerful and yet it seems to need the volume higher. I know it is a different way of doing things just seems a bit strange.

A question though, my banana plugs dont fit in the holes, mine seems to have small bits of plastic in the terminals which reduces the size of the hole. Do any of you guys use banana plugs and if so how did you get them to fit?

B

bigbot45

Enthusiast
hawke said:
"Q" indicates the “bend” or "sharpness" of the affected frequency curve. A low "Q" indicates a wider, bell-shaped curve, affecting a wide range of frequencies. A high "Q" signals a very steep curve, affecting a smaller range of frequencies.

As for Denon's actual value assignment to the numbers given for "Q" we'll have to ask them and follow up.

Thanks for the info. I wish it could print the actual picture of the equalization. Also, you were right. I set the EQ to off from normal and my speakers sound much brighter.

-Bigbot

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Denon is more powerful and yet it seems to need the volume higher. I know it is a different way of doing things just seems a bit strange.
I see these type of statements pop up quite often so I thought I would address it here. Do NOT attempt to compare the capability of a receiver/amp based on the volume level you adjust to. Each manufacturer uses different potentiometers with different sensitivities and scales. Many of the older receivers on a 1-10 volume scale used to max out about 1/3 of the way up, yielding very imprecise level adjustments. Many of todays receivers with digitally regulated analog volume controls have a much wider range, and hence more precise step size so you hear a very gradual level increase as you adjust the volume upwards. Even if you are setting a receiver at say 0dB (with -90 being the lowest setting) and have +15dB or more to go until you max out, that is still a siginifcant reserve left. I am sure nobody with good ears and unblown speakers has reached the maximum volume setting on their receivers, at least not intentionally ;)

U

Unregistered

small bits of plastic in the terminals

jaglad said:
Access Denied, I usually have mine set at about -18 when watching films and around -30 when listerning to music. My last amp had a normal volume control with 1 to 10 on it, and never had that above 3 coz it was so loud. The Denon is more powerful and yet it seems to need the volume higher. I know it is a different way of doing things just seems a bit strange.

A question though, my banana plugs dont fit in the holes, mine seems to have small bits of plastic in the terminals which reduces the size of the hole. Do any of you guys use banana plugs and if so how did you get them to fit?

The plastic bits come out. Get a any small hook that will stick into the small hole and pull the plastic out. Try using a paper clip. Once the plsstic bit comes out your banana plug will fit in

J

jaglad

Enthusiast
Excellent, thanks for that, wish I had known that before I took all the banana plugs off my cables. Banana plugs make connecting speakers so much easier.

B

bido

Audiophyte
The Audioholics front page under the AVR-3805 section reads:

This receiver is not THX-Select certified, but from going over the specs we are guessing that it would pass the THX certification tests with flying colors as it adheres to all of the specifications we are aware of.

Is this statement in reference to the amplification standards of THX Select or does the AVR-3805 also include THX processing circuitry (re-equalization, surround decorrelation, etc.)?

Also, regarding "bi-amping," as the technique outlined in the review simply amplifies the woofer and tweeter separately is seems plausible that any 7 channel receiver with multi-zone capabilities would be able to do this as well. Any counterpoint?

Thanks, Bido (new to the board)

R

rocket

Denon vs Yamaha

I've been shopping for a home theater system. The TV will be the Samsung 56" DLP HDTV. Good guys are suggesting 4 Monitor Audio Radius Surround Speakers, 1 Monitor Audio Radius Front Speaker, Velodyne sub woofer and Yamaha RXV 2400 Reciever. Magnolia HiFi is suggesting 4 Def Tech Pro Sat 100 Speakers, 1 Def Tech Pro Center 200 Speaker, Def Tech Prosub 100 sub woofer and Denon AVR 3805 receiver. I'm having a hard time decidinig. Both seem like pretty good systems. Any thoughts?

U

Unregistered

Checkout av123.com, their speaker line has gotten great reviews and has been voted product of the year by different reviewers. They also sell denon but you need the call for pricing, but you still get the denon warrenty. Ask for Sean he will save you a few hundred on much better gear.

E

ericb

Audioholic Intern
John,

Have you picked out a receiver yet? I am in the exact same boat. I just picked up the Pionneer 55TXi but thinking of swapping it for the 3805. I have yet to listen to them both using the same equipement. If you have, any immediate thoughts? I will be doing so late this week.

L

laurie

Enthusiast
The only thing I would like to see on the next model is an RF remote to allow someone in either zone 2 or 3 to be able to adjust the volume without the need to come into the main area just to adjust the volume a slave type will be suffice just having [ + - ] < >
cheers laurie

B

BIG FISH

Junior Audioholic
I just read in Sound and Vision Mag., that the 3805's video upconversion is "interlaced" instead of "progresive" scanning. Does this mean that conecting my dvd player directly to my tv would have better results, or does the 100mhz. bandwidth compensate for the interlaced scanning? :confused:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis