Epson Home Cinema 5050UB vs VAVA 4K

Kal-El21

Kal-El21

Audioholic Intern
My Optoma UHD50 stopped working over the weekend and rather than try to fix it, I think this is the perfect opportunity to upgrade my projector. So far it's between either Epson Home Cinema 5050UB & VAVA 4K, my budget is up to $3,500. I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions, thank you in advance.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Personally, I would get the JVC NZ3 Laser 4K. I own one in my HT room. I use it everyday. Hopefully it will last 25YR since it's Laser and I use Economy Lamp mode.

Optoma sucks. I used to own an Optoma PJ that required repair every year.

I've never heard of VAVA. :D

I would stick to the main brands - JVC, Sony, Epson, Vivatek.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
All the UST laser Chinese projectors are so-so, at best. Lots of complaints about image quality compared to what you hear from Epson. So, no question, I would get the Epson 5050 in a second. The JVC is a nice option, feel free to shoot me a message if you want pricing. Likewise, the JVC RS540 may be right within your budget and would be a very significant upgrade over any of these options. Might need a couple hundred more, but not much, to get there.

No way I would get a UST 4K DLP model. The quality just isn't there yet.

ProjectionHead

ProjectionHead

Audiophyte
If you are looking for a UST projector within the $3,500 budget, you have better options than the Vava.
Optoma CinemaX-P2 @ $3,299
Samsung LSP7T @ $3,499

Both will have far superior images than the Vava, albeit at a higher price point.

When it comes to the Vava vs the Epson 5050UB, I would absolutely suggest the 5050. If you do not require/desire a UST type of setup then you will have a brighter image with greater contrast and far more versatility with the 5050.

Kal-El21

Kal-El21

Audioholic Intern
If you are looking for a UST projector within the $3,500 budget, you have better options than the Vava.
Optoma CinemaX-P2 @ $3,299
Samsung LSP7T @ $3,499

Both will have far superior images than the Vava, albeit at a higher price point.

When it comes to the Vava vs the Epson 5050UB, I would absolutely suggest the 5050. If you do not require/desire a UST type of setup then you will have a brighter image with greater contrast and far more versatility with the 5050.
Thanks for the info! I reconnected my Optoma projector this past weekend in order to watch the Dodgers game and it worked without any issues. I plan to keep using it for a few more months or until I find a good deal on the 5050UB.

ProjectionHead

ProjectionHead

Audiophyte
Thanks for the info! I reconnected my Optoma projector this past weekend in order to watch the Dodgers game and it worked without any issues. I plan to keep using it for a few more months or until I find a good deal on the 5050UB.
Don't expect to see the 5050UB from an authorized source for less than $2,799 this holiday season. It was down to $2,599 for a very limited promotion earlier this year but nothing that steep is on the schedule going forward.
Feel free to PM me if you want to chat in more detail about the 5050

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis