Enter to Win: Velodyne EQ-Max 10 Subwoofer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

utopianemo

Junior Audioholic
1. How do you buy your high-end audio products today? Why?
I buy online and through specialty dealers. Online for the price/performance ratio and dealers to support local business.

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why?
I am most excited about the new Panasonic and Epson flagship projectors because they're amazing for the price, the new iPads for doing art, and wireless HDMI because of what it means for projector installations.
3. What is your most treasured audio component?
My Oppo Blu-ray player.

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology?
I feel the commercial popularity of sound is the most untapped. Perhaps this isn't the answer you are looking for, but it's a shame that people will spend top dollar for a big flat panel television and listen to their content through tv speakers.
NOTE this contest ends on December 31st, 2011. The winner will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck![/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rgrant39

Audiophyte

Usually online because there are no dealers within 30 miles of my house.

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why?

a. A good DAC that will upscale to 192/24 for a reasonable price - the new Cambridge Audio DacMagic when it comes out.
b. Speakers - Axiom M80
c. Wireless audio - Sony ALT-A33PC Wireless Audio Transmitter/Receiver

OPPO 93

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology?

low cost high end audio receivers.

NOTE this contest ends on December 31st, 2011. The winner will be drawn shortly thereafter.

R

rgrant39

Audiophyte

Usually online because there are no dealers within 30 miles of my house.

a. A good DAC that will upscale to 192/24 for a reasonable price - the new Cambridge Audio DacMagic when it comes out.
b. Speakers - Axiom M80
c. Wireless audio - Sony ALT-A33PC Wireless Audio Transmitter/Receiver

OPPO 93

low cost high end audio receivers.

H

HiRez1394

Junior Audioholic
Consumer Preferences

1. How do you buy your high-end audio products today? Online. Why?: for convenience to save time and possibly money, while avoiding travel hassle and pushy or uninformed sales staff.

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why? Non-cone speaker drivers (at least for the treble range); LED HDTVs with full-array, local-dimming backlight; and media streaming devices. Why?: Each product category represents technological innovation and performance enhancement.

3. What is your most treasured audio component? OPPO Digital DV-980H universal (DVD-Video/DVD-Audio/SACD/CD) player used as a digital audio transport.

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology? Media streaming technology, either as a stand-alone device or incorporated into something else, that can tap into wireless convenience and into (ideally free) Internet-derived multi-media content.

J

jogoholic

Audiophyte
1. How do I buy....
Mostly online, occassionally in a retail store... depends on who has the better deal. (and I always give them a chance to compete).

2. What three products are you...
- Speakers...matching subs to maggies
- Interactivity...(I think my computer is very attracted to the new pio-
neer SC-55, who knows what connections they may develop?) I
know I'm getting leery leaving them home alone...on...
- The merger of quality headphones with GPS and heart rate monitors

3. What's the most treasured...
I still cuddle with an old Carver m500t amp... haven't found anything
else that can warm the music up as well...esp. on a cold night

4. What areas...
Wow...what can I say... this is really for the dreamers. I'll go as far to say linking research between Quantum physics and vibrational frequency patterning to see how sounds interact with and/or effect our invisible quivering strings.

G

gonzlobo

Audiophyte

Mostly custom installer, but get lots of stuff at amazon.

Android phones. They're just so much better than the competition. I'm also very interested in streaming video, but have sworn off n*tflix for life. My home theater is at the top of my list of consumer electronics.

My Denon AVR. It ties the whole package together.

Video streaming

Anagoge

Anagoge

Junior Audioholic

Online, because I usually like to read reviews, shop a wide variety of choices, read detailed specs, etc.

1. 4K video technology for large projectors: enhanced resolution, though content and affordable displays are probably many years away
2. Finally usable LED lighting: nice light color, long life, instant on, dimmable, starting to be cost effective
3. Faster broadband: allowing streaming HD video, high-quality audio, etc.

Oppo BDP-93

Better integration, fewer wires, simplified setup, home automation integration, etc.

T

talannar

Junior Audioholic

Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

Online. There are a wide variety of quality companies out there on the web. Knowledgeable sales staff and good pricing. I used to by from a local retailer but they changed their business model and closed their b&m stores.

a) Tablets. I got in on the HP Touchpad fire sale and its a nice unit. In general, internet and email, decent battery life, portable, nice screen, snappy enough response for me, and I think that the tablet is nicer than a netbook, and less bulky than a laptop.

b) Wii and the upcoming Wii U. My wife and I love playing it. That simple. And it makes a great family activity at the holidays.

c) Smartphones. I didn't have one, but now that I do I am hooked. Android or Iphone, doesn't matter. It's like a ultra-portable tablet that's also a phone. Made my discontinue using my GPS unit and it gives me something to do other than hold my wife's purse when she is in the dressing room.

It's go to be my HSU subwoofer. Sound just isn't the same without it, music or movies.

A reasonably priced pre-amp. Receivers have more features, inputs/outputs, and extras than most pre-amps. That's not even mentioning the fact they come with amplification. And at half (if not more) the price! It's not the amps I need to replace, it's the rest of the guts. If 4K becomes the next big thing, all those receivers will need to be replaced, just like they did for HDMI, and then again for HDMI 1.4a for 3-D blu-ray. If you put the money down on a separate amp(s), you shouldn't have to pay a premium for a new pre-amp. (sorry for the rant)

M

mjaybird

Audiophyte
sub

online. I can shop more then one store and can see the products side by side and see what people think about them

1) Ruko 2) HD Antenna 3) Iphone 4S

my Samsung 47" LCD TV. I can watch blu-rays and stream netflix

I feel like we will move away from Movie disks and go to something better, but something will replace Blu-ray when 4K TVs come out

B

brianjof

Audioholic Intern
Velodyne contest

Online - not enough specialy retails stores around
Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why? - 3d TV, streaming movies, digital sound - all make home movie experience more enjoyable

3. What is your most treasured audio component? - Emotiva pre-amp power amp

- online tv on demand

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief

On-line. I've been around audio for many years, so I do remember a time when you could go to a speciality outlet. For where I live at least that's no longer an option, so I have to purchase exclusively on-line. To a certain extent that suits my personality and style, but I do miss being able to walk into a store and actually see/hear something before I plunk down money on it.

1) Home Theater - the capability of the components today, and the low relative cost of the vast majority of them, make me think we (the consumer) are in a very good position. You can now configure your audio in a manner that simply didn't exist just a few short years ago, so even marginal components can be made to sound good.

2) Hand Held Devices - while I'm not a fan of table computers I am a fan of the tremendous number of functions certain other hand held devices have been able to achieve. Specifically cell phones; they have so many capabilities that they've rendered other electronic devices virtually obsolete, and they've done so in just a couple of years. Truly remarkable pace of development.

3) Broadband - the level of network performance every person can receive at their home is staggering. I'm a computer engineer, so I know what it takes to build that level of capability. The advancements in broadband in just the last 10 years are completely astonishing, and have enabled us to access information at an almost unheard of level.

That's like asking me which of my kids is my favorite. :D But if I were forced to choose I suspect it would have to be my classic Denon equipment. It consists of a PMA-700V integrated amp, a TU-600 tuner and the DCD-820 CD player, all of which have the optional rosewood side panels. They're as gorgeous today as they were when I bought them 25 years ago, and every single one still works 100% to this very day. It's only being used for 2 channel stereo now, but they're still going strong.

OLED's. I'm completely enthralled by this technology, and it's almost limitless market potentials. I suspect this area will become very lucrative in the not too distant future, and will usher in a new wave of video devices.

B

bustaf00

Audiophyte
Questions

Online, because it's the cheapest and easiest to shop.

Onkyo tx-nr809 Need an upgraded
velodyne MiniVee Need one mine blown, Love Velodyne sub
Onkyo tx-nr709 If can't afford 809 will settle for this.

My Home surround speakers

Receiver

A

anonymouse99

Audiophyte
1. Online - from the comfort of my own home

(a) Networked receivers, they integrate various a/v sources into one cost effective solution
(b) GPS - simple yet, sophisticated way of finding my way around in the US without the fear of getting lost in space
(c) Cell phone - always in contact with friends, family and work. Smarter devices help with messaging services

3. Denon Receiver from 1989 - AVC3030 (one of my 3), built like a tank, clean, clear reliable audio

4. Single home device for internet, cable, home controls, including sophisticated, cost effective A/V communication between multiple households.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
1. Primarily online for better pricing, including used. But otherwise speciality stores for specific brands.

2. Apple Siri (voice interaction); Microsoft Kinect (gesture interface); home 3D fabs (cheap manufacturing of _everything_ mechanical).

3. Neko Audio D100 Mk2 DAC.

4. Affordable computer-based automatic compensation filters for audio has enormous potential. Especially if it were open-source and easily plugged into existing hardware (e.g. Macs and PCs).

T

thor61

Audiophyte
EQ-Max 10 Contest !

Questions

Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology? Question 1) I usually purchase from specialty store's, this gives me the opportunity to listen before purchasing ... Question 2) Room treatment or acoustic products. There are to many to list, but they provide a way to help fine-tune your system. Tube preamp's or line-stages, because I believe its very important to get the first stages of amplification right as everything else flows down the chain. And Last new Class-A power-amps that I can't afford, because I like to dream. Question 3) The honest answer would be my ear's, But if looking for a component I would say the speakers as they are the end result in ones system. Question 4) Speaker efficiency, It has not changed much in the last 20 years. If more were available at a 94+ db rating then we would not need such high powered amps and stop wasting energy !

eagleshadow

eagleshadow

Audiophyte
Sub Contest

Specialty retail store. As I buy on need and not impulse I take months to decide on what and when. Retail gives me the time and places to research my purchase. The internet give me a head start on what to look for when I shop.

AVR's. Looking to remove clutter and simplify my HD TV/Movie setup.

My Vintage Phase Tech PC-80's

Computer Audio

S

Speeds5

Audiophyte

Online So easy and convenient and a much bigger selection of products
Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

Sony XBR-65HX929 (LED perfection)
Ipad 2 (it's replaced my desktop and laptop, can take it anywhere)
Leica M9 (outstanding pictures)
Hopefully the new Velodyne EQ-MAx10 I'll be winning.

wireless integration between devices

300exoh

Audioholic Intern
Questions

Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

I mostly buy from retail stores but I have been buying more and more from online sources.

3D video technology
Oppo BD player
Pioneer Elite AVR

My old Bose 601 series II's

Wireless speakers... both indoors and outdoors. I think outdoor audio is a great idea and when combined with wireless technology it opens up the door for those like myself who rent a home and cannot run wires everywhere. I live in the south where it is possible to spend a great deal of time outdoors and it would be nice to have great sound anywhere.

L

leoajax

Audiophyte
Questions

Online: Best price

- wireless connecting equipment: no need to go through walls, can be easily installed by yourself
- HTPC: Extreme flexibility
- Deading Devices (kindle, Nook): all the books you want on a device lighter than just one.

My Denon Receiver

- Wireless interaction for every component, or at least
- Standard future proof connectivity based on LAN cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis