Enter to Win: Velodyne EQ-Max 10 Subwoofer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
barnabycourt

barnabycourt

Audiophyte
1. How do you buy your high-end audio products today? Why?
Online for most due to cost. Speakers I tend to get via specialty stores so t hat I can hear them first.

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why?
* DSLR Camera's & the convergence of still camera's and video.
* Home Control products & merging of whole house audio using products like sonos & control4
* iPhone 4s, the possibilities of true voice assist are really interesting

3. What is your most treasured audio component?
Not sure if it's a component or not. My acoustically transparent screen.

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology?
I think the most potential comes from where different areas of technology can be reasonably integrated. For example the thunderbolt technology from intel that would allow audio, video, ethernet & control signals to passed on one cable.

W

Weavz

Enthusiast
To be eligible to win, you must:
  1. Be a registered Audioholics forum member
  2. Have USA Residence
  3. Answer the following questions in the thread below

Questions

• Specialty Retail Store
  • Custom Installer

Online usually. I can find the best prices there. I like to do all my own research as well, which leads me to online sources like Audioholics to get reviews that I can trust.

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why?

Jawbone UP braclet. Waiting for version 2.0 to come out with a bit more functionality and reliability. Awesome concept to keep track of motion and steps/jumps/workouts food.

Ipad - It has completely removed the need for me to run a windows laptop.

Car Navigation/Audio/Bluetooth/Phone/Internet integration.

My Onkyo receiver. It's the center peice of everything else.

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology?
I think the HTPC is bound to make a comeback. Hopefully a lot was learned from the failed attempt a few years ago about the need to A. Not have Windows be a part of the solution. B. Interface and Functionality have to just work effortlessly.

NOTE this contest ends on December 31st, 2011. The winner will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck![/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic

Online - I can compare products/prices easily and don't have to deal with ignorant or aggressive sales persons.

Bigger Cheaper HDTV's

One of the following: SVS PC12+, Sony 50" SXRD, or PS3

Digital Distribution. Industry need to get their crap together. Generation after generation companies fight the inevitable. They can make it easy for the consumer to spend money and listen/watch whatever content where ever they want.

T

tron1974

Audiophyte

Tablets - I am finding more and more uses for my Android tablet each day.

My receiver, it works well and quite happy with it.

Allowing the consumer to do their own home automation easily. The big name automation people cater to the custom installers too much, I think.

smurphy522

smurphy522

Full Audioholic
Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

Online - Because I always seem to have a budget to stick to. Also I have found that through a few reliable online review sources (thank you Audioholics!) I rarely need to see it in person any longer.

-iPod Touch (or I suppose an iPhone if I had one) - Just about a perfect interface and useful Apps.
-Universal Remotes in general. They just make all of our lives that much easier.
-Blu Ray disc format. Well the HD A/V format will surely not last but right now for me it is the best way to get the quality picture/sound I crave.

-My Infinity Kappa speakers

-Video displays and projectors that are designed with built in devices which allow for proper (consumer) calibration. Something better than eyeing it with a calibration disc. Like a built in Spyder or similar. Another benefit would be that ambient light level monitoring could be integrated to compensate for differences.

jmilton7043

jmilton7043

Audioholic Intern
Hello Velo...

1. online...quick and easy. Velo is sold online, right? :)
2. iPhone 4S= Siri and HT remote app, Blu-ray= awesome picture and sound, Auto EQ programs= great sound with little hassle
3. Emotiva monoblock amps
4. BD audio for music and the advent of the 4K projector

C

cabt

Audiophyte
Questions

Online - Typically online due to ease of research and overall cost.Specialty Retail Store - For things that must be heard (speakers, etc.)Custom Installer - No

2. What three consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why? Media server so that I can provide a hub to link all of my content for both local and long distance use.

3. What is your most treasured audio component? Paradigm Ultra Cube 10 Sub

4. What areas of the consumer electronics industry (specifically audio/video) do you feel are untapped and offer the most potential from new technology? The "Cloud," regardless of the provider. Although it is great to have content stored locally on discs, etc....I would much prefer, as mentioned above, to access all my content with a touch of a button...whether I am in New York, Florida, or wherever.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
  • Specialty Retail Store
  • Custom Installer
Mostly online, occasionally at a local specialty retailer. Most of the time I am doing a lot of research on my own before buying. Occasionally, when I really want to "kick the tires" before buying, I'll work with someone locally. When this is the case, they'll get the business, even if it costs me more, because of their assistance in making the final decision.

1) Projectors. The dramatic price decrease and quality increase in front projectors over the last few years is amazing. I still haven't purchased one for our home theater, but a few years ago I expected to spend $6,000 or more to get the quality I wanted. Today, the same quality can be had for less than half that price.

2) Portable computers. Most full-sized PC/Mac computers are overkill for what 95% of people use computers to do. iPads, Kindles, and other hand-held devices are a much better fit for most people most of the time. The ease of setup and use will bring the world's vast stores of information to more people at a lower price than ever before.

3) Easy-to-use surround audio components. Since consumer display devices have improved so much in recent years, the biggest technology difference between a movie theater experience and a home entertainment experience is now in the audio system. Too many people still use the teeny speakers on their 50" flat panel displays. HTIB and wireless systems should help to bridge that gap for people who don't have the technical skill or desire to build a surround system from scratch.

The Mackie HR 824 powered monitors that sit in the Front L and Front R spots in our viewing room.

We are just at the beginning of a revolution. Low-cost and easy-to-use computers (see Question 2, #2 above) are enabling many more people to be producers of content instead of just passive consumers. With an iPad, anyone can try their hand at skills that used to take tens of thousands of dollars of equipment just to get started (e.g.: movie-making, writing music, DJ-ing). I hope/expect to see many more people find creative outlets they never would have considered 5 - 10 years ago.

A

acacia987

Junior Audioholic

Online, better quality at lower prices.

2. What 3 consumer electronics products in the market today are you most excited about and why?

Whole house control, i finally get to install one in my new house
smart phones, what cant they do?
auto calibration, tailoring display/audio devices to work there best

Axiom speakers. receivers come and go, speakers stay the same.

auto calibration, the majority of people don't have ideal conditions and are therefor limiting there audio/video components. a well calibrated audio/video device will often outperform a more expensive non calibrated one.

bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic

Online - Ease of purchasing; Low prices; Varied selection.
Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

4G/High speed mobile networks; 4K Resolution/ HD Better than 1080p; any well designed subwoofer.

My Hsu and Svs subwoofers!

Home video displays - will continue to progress and get better with higher resolution and lighter/smaller chassis.

M

munkee55

Enthusiast
Audioholic

Questions

Specialty Retail Store
Custom Installer

Online or Retail - Wherever the best deal is. There are advantages to both but ultimately it is about price.

Smartphones (Iphones/Androids) - So many apps available to integrate your Multimedia experience. My Denon receiver has Airplay built-in and I use a lot more than I ever thought I would,

Network Attached Storage (NAS) or Personal Cloud - Wonderful for Media streaming at home to multiple devices and you don't need to leave a computer on. Access your data/media from anywhere as long as you have an internet connection.

Media Streamers - Could possibly make Cable and Satelite providers obsolete very soon. Once they figure out how to get content available without losing money, we will all benefit.

Denon AVR 1912 - Built-in Airplay and Media Sharing. Beautiful sound and 6 HDMI Inputs for about $500. I even like the sound better than my old Pioneer Elite Reciever.

Wireless Audio/Video. I would love to have the ability to attach a Bluetooth headphone to an AV Reciever. Better technology for wireless surround speakers. Probably the biggest reason people don't have surround sound systems is the hassle of running speaker cable to the backside of the room. How about a decent affordable portable Keyboard/Mouse device for Home Theater PCs.

S

scott911

Full Audioholic
Specialty Retail Store

tie between both - but if you need one, online is a little higher.

1. apple TV 3 (yet to be announced) allows most of my music to get to my audio system - so it's important to me - mainly, the interface. otherwise - better hdcp implementation on any device, and always looking for nicer led panels.

thiel speakers. this is a really interesting question- need to scan what people think...

- receivers need to have there set-up and option screens more intuitively configured. I would hazard a guess that most people (even audioholics) have a bunch of setting messed up that are effecting sound quality. Also - hdmi & hdci handshaking delays need to be fixed - damn it!

Last edited:
D

Digital_G0D

Enthusiast

Online. I have greater selection, and in most cases there is better pricing and sales available.

Glasses-free 3D technology, home appliance control via network and 4k video.

My Beyerdynamic headphones / tube amp.

Providing open-source tools for controlling and customizing A/V systems.

B

bwilberg266

Audioholic Intern
Christmas Time With Velodyne!

I do most of my purchasing online due to both price and availability. Another advantage is that there is usually quite a few reviews available for any product I may be looking for and there is never a pushy salesman who is more interested in selling me whatever will get him the biggest commission check rather than helping me find what I need.

• Tablets - They are becoming more affordable and customizable for use as home automation controllers.
  • Wireless HDMI/Subs - Giving almost limitless placement options for projectors, monitors, and subs makes installation and optimal placement so much easier
  • Media Servers - As media becomes more about streaming and less about physical media, I want to be able to place all of my BluRays/DVDs on a central server that can be accessed from anywhere in my home

My Pioneer SC-37 - Quite simply it has everything I want with more power than just about any other AVR out there

Portable HiDef Audio - People are paying more money for headphones, car stereos, and home theater setups...but there are little to no options for the mass consumer to get and listen to true HD Audio. There is only one company I can think of that offers HD Audio downloads and zero companies I can think of available to the mass consumer that offer a portable device to enjoy that music on. While most new technology products are focused on increasing quality, somehow the music fidelity has gone down.

D

darkvisions

Audiophyte
Questions

Online - There are only a few "high-end" stores in my area and I find them not to be very knowledgeable in a lot of areas. Though I will go to them to listen to a certain product if they have it. I do research, read pro reviews and read customer reviews

Sonos - Easy to use and I listen to more music now than I ever did.
Oppo Blu-Ray Players - Love them and they work as advertised.
DSP Subs - Though I don't have one, I think one would that could even out my room would make a world of difference in the sound.

Anthem AVM-30

HD music streaming

S

SWSW

Audioholic Intern
Questions

Online -
Just started to use specialty online store like this site
For cables and such- the mega stores

1)IPAD and the ability to use apps to control household components.
2) 5.1 or 7.1 speaker systems( buying as a matched set)
3) Outdoor component systems and bringing the quality to outside living areas

Denon avr

All in 1 outdoor music system with quality of sound

G

Guinness6

Junior Audioholic
Questions

I prefer buying from a Specialty Retail Store - I'm nervous about spending a fair amount of money on something I haven't heard before. That being said, I've recently noticed some online deals that would make the risk worthwhile when considering available reviews.

Smartphones - Its amazing to think of what a phone can do today vs 5-10 years ago.
Movie streaming - although I dropped Netflix streaming, I'm really looking forward to see what innovations will come of this
Whole-house integrated technology

Either my speakers or my turntable. But I guess they go together, right?

Hi-res movie streaming

C

ctwed

Audioholic Intern

A. Online - Wide variety of options due to lack of high end retail availability.
B. High-End Retailer - Guidance and ability to audition equipment (if available).
C. Custom Installer - Rarely if ever. In my area installers are typically from the construction and remodel industry, limited audio/video knowlidge.

A. Audio/digital downloads
B. Music servers
C. Streaming video on demand.

McIntosh MC7270 Amp

Wireless on-demand streaming of video/audio from cloud.

N

nickboros

Audioholic
Questions

1. Online
2. Specialty Retail Store
3. Custom Installer

Mostly online since that is usually the best price that can be found. Though, I bought my plasma TV in a retail store because I was worried about any return issues with such a large object.

A Projector, since that can give the true home theater experience.

Subwoofers that have a flat sub 20Hz frequency response with a lot of impact at a good price, because this takes action movies to another level.

An affordable preamp. Many budget receivers are often loaded with all the new and latest features at a good price (around $400 to $500), but usually not preamp outputs, let alone balanced outputs. Manufacturers could easily take out the amps and add balanced outputs and probably lower the price of what was a budget receiver and is now a budget preamp loaded with all the latest features. Such a product doesn't really exist on the market right now for some reason. Only Emotive took a try at it, but their product was supposedly buggy, so it wasn't very successful.

My Pioneer Kuro TV.

An affordable preamp mentioned above. This way one could upgrade every the preamp every now and then and get the latest features. With receiver that is $1000, or more, people are not going to upgrade it very often.

E

Exterous

Audioholic Intern
Specialty Retail Store

I find these have thes best prices and the most knowledgable people. I have nevr used a custom installer as the installation is part of the fun

The Sonos wireless adapter with amp. It would make integrating my master bath into my home network and Windows Home Server very easy. Price is still a bit high though

The emotive small 2 channel amp that just came out. It is perfect for driving my Zone 2

Smart phones - esp the ability to integrate them into the home network (Sonons app)

Probably the projector I managed to get when Circuit City was closing for 90% off

Media streamers/HTPCs. It still takes a large amount of time and effort to get these to play nicely with other sources/file formats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis