Enter to Win: Roomate HTPC from VidaBox!

What reservations have you had about purchasing a HTPC? Explain your choices below.

• Price – doesn’t fit my budget

Votes: 54 38.8%
  • Stability – fear of crashes

Votes: 25 18.0%
  • Style – WAF, doesn’t look nice

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Size – Too big for my living room / system won’t fit

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Can’t see a demo of the system in store / don’t like buying online

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • Afraid that it is difficult to install and/or use

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • Afraid of lack of support

Votes: 19 13.7%
  • Afraid the manufacturer is here today but might be gone tomorrow

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Umm… What’s a media center/HTPC?

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other - please explain below

Votes: 48 34.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

E-6

Audioholic Intern
Would first vote the lack of ability to view a demo to really see the capabilities. The other would be cost. Recently posted the below thread--unfortunately no response...

09-19-2006, 02:46 PM
E-6
Enthusiast Join Date: Jan 2006

Looking for music server suggestions...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm one of those that own countless amounts CD folders and would like to find a server to rip and store CD's as I purchase them. I don't want it controlled by my laptop and would like to hook it up to my HK. Also, would perfer OSD vs. a small LCD display. Any suggestions or reference--I've looked at some prices and was like

R

Reorx

Full Audioholic
Contest question: What reservations have you had about purchasing a HTPC/Media Center system? What has stopped your from getting one? Explain your choices and add any other reasons not listed on the poll.
Well, If I purchase one, how well would it play divx, as well as non-standard formats. ogg, lossless formats, etc. If I build 1, I know for a fact that it'll play them.
Lack of a reasonably priced HD tuner card, and Lack of a HDTV have kept me from completing my HTPC.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
The reason I've never really considered an HTPC is all the problems I have with a regular PC. Do I have to constantly be thinking about viruses, spyware, deleting temporary internet files, cleaning up the system, defragging, backing up files, etc.?

Also, what kind of bootup time is there? With my existing HT, everything turns on or off with one button (good ol' Harmony!), and there's a bootup time of a few seconds. But is an HTPC similar to a regular PC where I have to wait a minute or so? If I want to watch a movie or TV or listen to music, I don't want to have to wait -- even if it's only a minute. I want to pop it in and watch it NOW.

Those are my major reservations. For the moment, anyway.

cheers,
supervij

J

Jason Coleman

Banned
I've finally finished putting our HT together, so I'd be hesitant to move towards an HTPC, but the networking and configuration options are definitely appealing. I'd be concerned about ease of setup and use, thus my vote in the poll.

J.

W

Will d s

Enthusiast
Price for available storage is just starting to come into my budget.

M

mdy

Enthusiast
The price. Also, the fact I would have another heat/noise generating component added to my system.

Last edited:
M

mboy

Audiophyte
I think the lack of HD capability for the $$$ amount spent is not worth it to me (to even build my own yet).

MOst cable providors have DUal HD tuner PVR's that can record HD content (while watching anohter HD program, etc).

A good Pixel mapping/Upscaling DVD player for my Infocus 4805 is relatively inexpensive as well.

Would be great to try, but I can not justify the cost in comparison to the rest of my gear.

$1k is almost 2xs what I paid for my 4805 and an HTPC would have FAR less impact as a whole compared to a Front projector and 92" screen.

it is all about bang for the buck (for the common man anyway).

V

vmeds

Audiophyte
Well I wish I can check these out at a store or someplace and talk to people who have used this atleast 6 months so you know what you are getting for your money. I am a little hesistant to buy things without test driving it, considering I have had a few bad experiences with online purchases. I am seriously considering a HTPC or a media pc for my home theater I am planning to place in my new basement.

VMeds

J

jawws

Audiophyte
Afraid that it is difficult to install and/or use

I don't know how well it would record my satelite content. I always asked myself, would it be able to get a guide? Change the channel on the satelite? Record in hi-def?

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis