Enter to Win: Roomate HTPC from VidaBox!

What reservations have you had about purchasing a HTPC? Explain your choices below.

• Price – doesn’t fit my budget

Votes: 54 38.8%
  • Stability – fear of crashes

Votes: 25 18.0%
  • Style – WAF, doesn’t look nice

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Size – Too big for my living room / system won’t fit

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Can’t see a demo of the system in store / don’t like buying online

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • Afraid that it is difficult to install and/or use

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • Afraid of lack of support

Votes: 19 13.7%
  • Afraid the manufacturer is here today but might be gone tomorrow

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Umm… What’s a media center/HTPC?

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other - please explain below

Votes: 48 34.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TamaraDLeonard

Enthusiast
Well I have never heard of a HTPC until today, so that is one reason I don't have one.

My TV just died a month or so ago and I got a good deal on a HDTV from a TV repair friend. I am just discovering things about it and I don't need to throw too many new things into the mix at once.

M

MrMezz

Enthusiast
I'm not too familiar with HTPC technology. I couldn't make the jump without becoming much more informed. Based upon the other responses, it sounds like and expensive and not too reliable technology. I'd do much more homework before I invested my hard earned cash.

R

RudeDog

Enthusiast
I have never researched them much because it seemed that the features they offered for the money didn't seem in line with less-expensive products that could do the job just as well. And as quickly as my PC seems to need to be upgraded, it didn't seem very future-proof either.

K

kleinwl

Audioholic
Two main issues:

1) HDTV... currently the cable card solution seems like it's going down the drain... cable companies are not supporting it.. and thus a cable ready (2 tuner) HD capture DVR is not looking good.

2) Capability vs. WAF. I want a HTTP that I can play games on... that means a good cpu/gpu... and I want to be able to spec it out. However, the HTTP boxes that I have seen are not very compatible with high load systems... which leads to the WAF factor. If not for the Wife... I would have a tower rig (self built) hooked up to the TV right now.

malvado78

malvado78

Full Audioholic
Price

The biggest reservation. I don't see my self spending $1500 on a HTPC especially right now with all the format churn going on. Also correct me if I am wrong that is $1500 with out the normal interal amplification that are found in recievers. A robust amplification section would be nice to be included.

But I hope I win it and I will definitely let you know more of my impressions.

Brad

J

jdbwolverines

Audioholic Intern
I chose price as my biggest reservation for not having a HTPC. I am a huge elctronics junkie but still in college, so my budget is limited. Becuase I don't currently think it is an intergral part of a home theater setup, I chose not to spend money on it. I due think that evently they will take over as the main part of a home theater due to their ability to expand and upgrade components as needed or as technology progresses without having to purchase a whole new component.

L

lilkumachan

Audiophyte
Why not buy it?

Don't really own a home yet (working on it), and it would be a nice addition to my pillow and blanket of my new bare condo.

^_^
-kuma

Y

Yuri

Audiophyte
I currently don't really have the room for a HTPC or any other kind of real Home Theater hardware in our 1 bedroom appartment but we will soon have an entertainment room to plan and design in the new house that we're currently building.

K

kono144

Junior Audioholic
Contest question: What reservations have you had about purchasing a HTPC/Media Center system? What has stopped your from getting one?
Explain your choices and add any other reasons not listed on the poll.

I could use a media center for PVR capabilities. But I think the PVR function is the only feature I would use on the media center. Therefore the cost of the HTPC is too expensive if I am using as a PVR only.

B

briggek8717

Audioholic Intern
My main reason for not owning a HTPC yet is price. By the time that I put everything in the HTPC that I would want, it ends up being very pricey. One of my other concerns is finding a case that doesn't overheat (I had planned on building my own HTPC) and the noise level of a HTPC.

Matt34

Matt34

Lack of HD support in my area along with just a lack of knowledge on what a HTPC is capable of doing.

R

RichND

Audiophyte
First let me ditto the protected HD content concerns. I built a Windows Media Center box a few years ago. I never got around to using when my cable company called me shortly afterwards announcing they were offering an HD dvr box. Another reason I abadonded the project was the cost of the video and audio cards, which would have doubled the price of the pc. Two things have made me reconsider the idea: my cable dvr is really limited in space and I'm constantly deleting stuff I'd like to keep, and here in RI, because of a dispute between the cable co and the local broadcasters, I can't get anything on CBS or Fox in HD, which stinks because I love football. I didn't even get the first 2 Patriots Super Bowls in HD, which is a huge deal to me! Thankfully, ND is on NBC, so I get those in HD. The issue hasn't been resolved in 3 years and probably won't be anytime soon, so every football season I look into the price of an audio card and HD tuner once again.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
The biggest issues for me are a distrust of the long term stability and noise. What little I've seen seems to have rather noisy fans, which is highly distracting in daily HT usage.

Thanks

Jack

waveking

waveking

Enthusiast
Well I was looking for a solution with wifi capabilities to reduce the jungle of wires, though the price is a bigger deterrent

Tsunamii

Tsunamii

Full Audioholic
More of the same. Cost and Protection are my hurdles to overcome.... I wish I could afford yours :)

F

Fierce Mice

Audioholic Intern
What reservations have you had about purchasing a HTPC/Media Center system? What has stopped your from getting one? Explain your choices and add any other reasons not listed on the poll.
I'll preface this answer by saying I've yet to decide on or purchase my display, so a HTPC would be cart-before-the-horse.

Although I've had a HTPC on my wishlist for quite awhile, the cost has been the primary reservation I've had. To spend money on a component that may not have the preferred inputs/outputs in a short period of time is unsettling. I currently beam audio from my home PC audio library to my receiver, and that has been an incredible leap forward for me personally. To be able to access HD video programs and play them will (eventually), be the way to go. Current processors, memory, and storage prices are all low enough that I'm comfortable taking the leap. But HDMI compatability has me worried. An expensive outlay in an unsettled environment seems impulsive

Fan noise is also an issue, but there are a number of fan mods that can easily be done to reduce fan noise, so that reservation is lower on my list (assuming the included fan is noisy to start with...a number of fans I've seen have great airflow with next to no noise).

My last reservation is around expansion...I can remember when 10GB was more storage than I can imagine what to do with. So now a 120GB or 250GB storage device doesn't have the same appeal unless I know there is easily available expandability.

B

Berty52

Audioholic Intern
Price and I don' know if it will be very useful for me now but maybe in a short futur. ;)

T

Terost

Audiophyte
What reservations have you had about purchasing a HTPC?

I have already purchased a HTPC case and the computer components for it. I have planned to built a HTPC to replace the DVR, however I am putting it on hold. The reason is that there are too few HD channels on digital cable and the cost of a HD DVD burner & HD media is too expensive at this time. I can wait until the price comes down. Also I would not be able to recorded HD protected context.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis