Enter to Win: Roomate HTPC from VidaBox!

What reservations have you had about purchasing a HTPC? Explain your choices below.

• Price – doesn’t fit my budget

Votes: 54 38.8%
  • Stability – fear of crashes

Votes: 25 18.0%
  • Style – WAF, doesn’t look nice

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Size – Too big for my living room / system won’t fit

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Can’t see a demo of the system in store / don’t like buying online

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • Afraid that it is difficult to install and/or use

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • Afraid of lack of support

Votes: 19 13.7%
  • Afraid the manufacturer is here today but might be gone tomorrow

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Umm… What’s a media center/HTPC?

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other - please explain below

Votes: 48 34.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bobby2x

Junior Audioholic
Other

Well the HTC I want, i want to build myself. For better understanding of whats what, but it the whole time factor keeping me from getting it together!

G

GACrabill

Junior Audioholic
Q. What reservations have you had about purchasing a HTPC/Media Center system? What has stopped your from getting one?

A. The main reservation is price. Speakers, amps, TVs, wire ... all last for many years. PC's get replaced every few years .... I don't need another one that needs replaced that often.

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
i would much rather build one than buy one.

and i need money to do either.. but i definately will in the future.

C

cyngreen

Enthusiast
I don't have enough knowledge about the system. I need to do more research.

JoeE SP9

JoeE SP9

Senior Audioholic
I already have a home theater system. I'm a professional in the computer field. Replacing HDD's after they have a premature failure is something I've gotten used to. It brings in considerable income. As long as HDD's are as unreliable as they are I will not be saving anything important to them.:cool:

H

Homercles

Audiophyte
Price is certainly the biggest deterrent at the moment but that is likely to change rapidly with ongoing technological advances. Beyond that, the other small downfalls (size, noise, looks) are sure to improve and something that I could live with.

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
I've considered using my old PC to start one, however it has a loud fan. I think all the upgrades i'd need to make would be too $$

U

UTChan

Audiophyte
These machines are too expensive in my opinion. It will take me a long time to save money for one if I decide to buy one.

Still, the idea of an all in one machine is very nice.

A

auge.dog

Junior Audioholic
I'm sort of out of it on this one. I'm not sure what they are or what they do . . . but I'd love to have one!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
My response is in line with many others: CableCard, DirecTVCard, DishCard are all REQUIRED add-on functions for any of the HTPC products out there. Since those products don't exist, to my knowledge, as of yet, then why have a $1,500+ HTPC in my rack? So I can watch downloads? Or play video games? Or watch a DVD? Really, for that much money, there is better equipment already available that tends to be superior in almost every aspect at doing those jobs.

What is a HTPC good for? How about DVD ripping... oh wait, that's illegal!

Music server? Well, a 60GB iPod tends to do that for a grand or more less!

Control of your gear? Maybe... if properly implemented, that would be a perk.

I think it will all go to HTPCs down the road, but really, right now? Not even close! We are still dealing with HTPCs that seem barely better than those offerred 10+ years ago! Windows 95 machines with DVD players and a hard drive. What has changed that allows me to finally view ALL my television shows and time shift them appropriately, etc.? Yes, my PC is now 30 times more powerful - but really does little more.

ChrisJam

ChrisJam

Full Audioholic
I don't have high-def TV.

If this is only Windows...please. But I was talking with an IT fried recent;y about this kind of set-up and he likes the idea. So hey, I'm in the pool, just to see what's what.

V

Vart

Audioholic
As others have stated - lack of ability to record HD cable. And of course I really don't have the money for one right now.

D

dkordonowy

Audioholic Intern
Future Compatability

I worry that the HTPC will become obsolete too soon, either with changing hardware (e.g. HDMI 1.3) or standards. I also worry that the manufacturer will lock out changes to the software, so that I either have to pay monthly fees or am unable to use the HTPC the way I want. I want flexibility to use the programs I choose, and not have to keep paying for something that I own.

-me

V

vlad335

Junior Audioholic
Price...

I have been building my own PC's since 97' and was considering building one of these. Mostly for added storage for my DVR.

However, I really don't know much about HTPC's and exactly how one would exactly benefit my system. I haven't seriously researched what their capabilities are to justify the price. :confused:

If I win, I will write a comprehensive review of the benefits.

Last edited:
K

kkrambo

Enthusiast
I only recently got turned on to HTPCs. Previously I had ignored them because I was not aware of all the cool things one could do for me and my home theater.

Now I'm reluctant to buy a HTPC becuase of price. I'm going to investigate how much I can save by building my own. I've built other PCs (and I built my home theater) so building an HTPC doesn't scare me and it should be fun.

-- Kevin

O

Oguard

Audioholic Intern
Contest question: What reservations have you had about purchasing a HTPC/Media Center

HTPC MUST be Open Source to prevent M$ from corrupting the format.

This would provide an increased measure of protection from crashes and poor standards compliance.

The hardware is reasonably well established and the software is developing but it needs to be reliable.

Open Source is the only way to go, IMNSHO

S

Soundbroker

Enthusiast
For me, the reasons I haven't yet done an HTPC lie in the sound realm. For me to purchase an HTPC, I'd want it to be an all in one solution with source and preamp capabilities. The lack of real true flexible bass management and lack of balanced outputs in the sound cards has been a killer. I know the video performance is there with scaling, but the unease over High def content has also kept me from putting one into the theater.

thequietman

Audiophyte
why no htpc yet

I think the windows media center pc are very reasonable now and come from the standard manufacturers, they are in every computer store, you dont like it you take it back. I still love the idea of htpc, the hardware can be more custom orientated. I would love an lcd remote that would control the htpc from another room giving me a preview of the media content.
On the mac front, the front row software is excellent and with the new itv arriving, the result promises to be stylish and functional.

t:) hequietman

F

flip22

Audioholic Intern
Price

Right now, anything that isn't free, doesn't fit in our (wife's)HT budget. Otherwise, I'd have a server running all my media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis