Enter to Win: Roomate HTPC from VidaBox!

What reservations have you had about purchasing a HTPC? Explain your choices below.

• Price – doesn’t fit my budget

Votes: 54 38.8%
  • Stability – fear of crashes

Votes: 25 18.0%
  • Style – WAF, doesn’t look nice

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • Size – Too big for my living room / system won’t fit

Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Can’t see a demo of the system in store / don’t like buying online

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • Afraid that it is difficult to install and/or use

Votes: 13 9.4%
  • Afraid of lack of support

Votes: 19 13.7%
  • Afraid the manufacturer is here today but might be gone tomorrow

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Umm… What’s a media center/HTPC?

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Other - please explain below

Votes: 48 34.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Andry

Tom Andry

Speaker of the House
VidaBox wants your opinion!

VidaBox is offering a FREE Roommate Original Media Center System to one (1) lucky eligible forum member (a $1499 value!). VidaBox encourages the winner review the product in the Audioholics forums.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Respond to the poll above and explain your response below in this contest thread.

Contest question: What reservations have you had about purchasing a HTPC/Media Center system? What has stopped your from getting one? Explain your choices and add any other reasons not listed on the poll.

Note this contest ends on September 30th, 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Other:

I don't have a hi def TV, so having a HTPC is kinda useless.

SheepStar

L

lbjazz

Audioholic Intern
HD Content

The main reason I would not buy a HTPC right now is because of the lack of support for protected HD content. If I spent a bunch of money on a HD display and a HTPC to act as a recorder, it had better be able to handle the protected HD. Right now, this isn't happening.

hemiram

hemiram

Full Audioholic
Right now, there are two reasons I won't build a HTPC. The first one has already been mentioned, the HD protected content issue. Secondly, is the usual reason, money.:D

morrone

morrone

Enthusiast
Lack of open standards

I would use a HTPC, but there is a real dearth of open standards. I don't want to be locked into one hardware vendor, software vendor, or service provider.

If I have a HTPC will I be able to get HD source from cable? From satellite? Will it be able to play downloaded movie when they arrive? Will it play all of the umpteen DRM music and video formats? Will it be able to control everything in my component stack?

Not much of this is really the fault of a HTPC. The whole home theater industry is at fault for sticking with proprietary standards and DRM (which does nothing to stem piracy, it just makes everything more difficult for us law-abiding cash-wielding customers).

D

DrunkenWolf

Enthusiast
The biggest deterrent for me was the difficulty in getting the PC working well on the HDTV in decent resolutions. My new TV does this really well now.

B

BobBart

Audioholic
I haven't bought one yet because of the cost. Most of the htpcs are quite expensive. Also they are usually to loud because of the fans to be place in a rack. Also if they are going to be used for a hdtv they really need a digital video interface of some sort.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Noise. Most PCs produce lots of fan noise, I plan to build a near silent HTPC in November.

Darth Mike

Darth Mike

Audioholic
I just can't afford a PC dedicated to my HT system, it would be very cool though, as it would get rid of the A/V cable running across my house from my old HP desktop...;)

D

dlrepp

Enthusiast
Huh!

Hi I had never heard of this before so I'm on a steep learning curve. It sounds interesting as I would have use in the bedroom. I already have a PVR in the main HT system but it is not HD. Right now I'm looking to upgrade my pc audio system so no $ is available at the moment. I will also let the real players work out the kinks as far as connectivity goes. I wil collow the manufacturer's threads to learn more. Hope to win. Dan

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
The "other" reasons...

Price is obviously a factor, but I'm surprised HDTV compatibility isn't one of the choices. Not only is that a key piece in any (new) piece of video equipment, HDTV compatibility would add value to a box that is an obvious premium over stand-alone components. If you're going to bother with the stability issues of an HTPC, there ought to be some added functionality that you can't easily get in existing equipment (like an HD DVR).

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
I'm not really that familiar with the capabilities of a HTPC. I already have a dedicated DVD player, a receiver, gaming system and cable box. The one thing I don't have is internet connectivity on my HT. That would be nice but $1500 is a lot of money to spend to get on line in another room of my house imo. That said I would love a HTPC to start a second HT. :)

S

Svenhook

Audioholic
I just dont have the Cash to do it. I'd love to have one though.

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
I've never even thought of purchasing one before as I didn't own a big screen HDTV until LAST NIGHT BABY!

:D

D

Diablo

Audioholic Intern
Right now my home theater is super reliable, and PC's crash too often. They are also too big and my home theater real estate is limited as it is.

F

flyv65

Full Audioholic
I'm pretty concerned about the fan noise, and at least somewhat concerned about the media storage system.

Bryan...but still mostly the fan noise...

J

jmritchie

Audiophyte
Fear of Crashes!

Having never used a HTPC and working with computers, I do fear crashes and glitches. One thing I love about Home Theater is that it can be a fun and technical hobby, but it's usually at least stable. No part of my HT has ever "crashed". With the uncertainty of compatibility becoming a large factor these days (with HDMI, different resolutions, etc.) it would be nice to know HTPC's would just work like things should. If a HTPC came with a guarentee that it would work right out of the box with no compatibilty issues (like an apple computer...) then I might be tempted.

JR.

JVC

JVC

Banned
Can't afford one. Been umemployed since January. If and when I go back to work, I'll have to catch up on the bills, before I can spend that kind of money.

K

kluvlaw

Enthusiast
What reservations have you had about purchasing a HTPC/Media Center system? What has stopped your from getting one? Explain your choices and add any other reasons not listed on the poll.

I have a great sounding CD/DVD player and adding another piece that would provide similar funtions doesn't appeal to me enough to fork over the cash.
Have not researched them enough to get interested, yet. I think my Toshiba DLP also has issues w/ being hooked to a pc and don't know if an HTPC would cause the same issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis