Enter to Win: Rives Audio Test CD 2

From an aesthetics standpoint alone, how would you prefer you speakers to look?

• In wall and hidden

Votes: 16 22.5%
  • Monitors (either wood finish or gloss) on shelving

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Monitors (either wood finish or gloss) on stands in the room

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Floorstanders wood finish

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Floorstanders automotive paint finish

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Other (please describe below)

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I picked wood finish, but frankly I don't really care - it is all about how it sounds.

P

PAW

Audioholic Intern
Big speakers with shiny wood. What more could a guy ask for? Well at least in speaker appearance. ;)

Senior Audioholic
In wall and hidden.

I would rather not have to look at them.

Sound is all I am worried about, not how cool a speaker looks.

Tomorrow

Tomorrow

Audioholic Ninja
Speakers make a statement. I like 'em big and beautiful in oak.

dingrr

Audiophyte
Sure, many speakers look awesome but their purpose is sound. The ideal situation would be to have them visually disappear. Therefore hidden in the walls/ceiling would be best: no visual distraction.

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
Floorstanders - wood finish

The bigger the better. :D I'd like a 7.1 setup with identical floor-standing speakers.

I have one set of Yamaha speakers with wood veneer. It makes a difference in the overall quality of the speaker's appearance.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Although I own tower speakers right now I still prefer a standmounted speaker. There is just something about that look I prefer. More specifically, it is in my opinion that how speakers perform is more significant than how they look. However, many audiophiles have a spouse which is what is referred to the "WAF". As a result, speakers need to look presentable to say the least. What is even better is when a speaker not only sounds great but also looks good. Personally, I really like a real wood veneer finish or a high glossy finish. Either works for me and I do NOT have to worry about the "WAF" as I am single. Lastly, standmounted speaker also have a tendnecy to image a bit better than towers. Guess that may have a lot to due with why I prefer the standmounted speakers.

O

Oguard

Audioholic Intern
I prefer

monitors because they are visually less dominating and therefore more likely to be transparent in the presentation. It is easier to integrate them into an overall design and have fewer compromises with a hig WAF.

Cheers,

M

MatrixDweller

Enthusiast
Nothing more beaultiful than fine wood

nothing i smore beautiful than fine wood that has a nice grain. Of course most speakers that claim to be wood these days are in fact just veneer over MDF or particle board it's still looks richer than plastic or painted metal.

F

Fierce Mice

Audioholic Intern
In wall and hidden.

I never get over walking into a theater (home or otherwise) where there is no sign of A/V equipment and being overwhelmed by the pureness of the sound. Ostentatious speakers may look cool, but I'm strictly function over form: impress me with the sound, not with what the speaker looks like.

G

gulmer

Enthusiast
Monitors on stands, I'm in the minority on this. That is what I have now and I like the look of speaker stands w/these monster JBL speakers on them w/ woodgrain,satin finish. Gloss is too reflective, wife acceptance also.:D

P

project86

Audioholic
I absolutely love the look of a nice monitor on a good stand. I assume this is because my older brother has a home studio that he does mixing and recording in, and he has always had some nice monitors on stands, and I have always been blown away by the great sound. It just looks proffessional to me for some reason.

tonay

tonay

Junior Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
Rives is giving away three (3) Rives Audio Test CD 2 this month in our dedicated forum contest.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Answer the poll above and explain your answer in this contest thread:

Note this contest ends on December 31st 2006. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter.

Have fun and good luck!
Begin a 5.1 kind of guy, I prefer the clean look of monitors on a stand. Reality is you should have a sub anyway to handle bass needs and monster floor standers are not needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
Floorstanders with wood finish. Definitely. If we're talking about mains, that is. It gives the speakers a nice, elegant look, and it goes with so many decorating styles (which I leave to my girlfriend). I like floorstanders for the mains, cos it just has a big, solid presence. I feel like I'm getting something special from floorstanders. Does that sound nuts? Yeah, I'm okay with that.

cheers,
supervij

wire

wire

Senior Audioholic
I like for mains , floorstanding . I like 2 channel musical systems .
For 5.1 i like the monitor to small speakers .

F

f0am

Audioholic
I prefer floor standing wood grain because they obviosly are deeper sounding then book shelfs on stands, yet book shelfs on stands do look beter.

Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer

Audioholic Field Marshall
I chose inwall or hidden...

...Strictly from an asthetics point of view, not being able to see the speakers would be best for me. I'd love to have amazing sound seemingly come from nowhere and fill my room. Unfortunately, I don't find this terribly realistic for the type of sound I want. for that, I need speakers I can move about as needed, which eliminates inwalls.

Jack

P

Pegg

Audiophyte
Id like to have some floorstanding speakers in flat black or gunmetal. It goes with our current color scheme in the house.

Jason

B

baglorious

Audiophyte
I think a "bookshelf sized" speaker mounted on a stand that matches the speaker and incorporates some "matte aluminum looking" construction is tough to beat from a style perspective. All other things being equal, I think those are the neatest looking setups. I'd also say that (again, all things being equal), some properly disguised wall mount speakers would be sweet such that great sound was seemingly coming from nowhere... imagine high-end sound simply "being there" with no discernable point of origin. That would be cool. And, I have nothing against a nice looking floorstander... something that is crafted so well it looks like art mixed with furniture.

So, the answer is yes. I like speakers.

A

auge.dog

Junior Audioholic
I'd like monitors that would sort of disappear into the shelving, and give the same great sound as when on stands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis