Enter to Win: Rives Audio Test CD 2

D

dloweman

Audioholic
I don't really know how important the room is...I would say roughly 50% with about 40 going to speakers and the rest to components etc. As for how much i have spent on my room, well nothing. Don't really know what would help/hinder it, and i can't afford to bring someone in who actually knows.

Y

Youzer

Enthusiast
Room vs. Equip

I'd have to say, the room is easily 60 pecent. If you have an unfit space the best equipment in the world will still sound terrible.

Tom Andry said:
Rives is giving away five (5) Rives Audio Test CD 2 this month in our dedicated forum contest.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Answer the following questions in this contest thread:

Contest Questions:

1. What percentage of importance does the room make in the overall sound quality? (i.e. Amp is 15%, Speakers are 30%, etc.)
  2. In terms of money spent on your system, what percentage was spent on the room including design consult and treatments.
[Read more about the Rives Audio Test CD 2]

Note this contest ends on December 31st 2005. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I am going to say they are all equally important.

No point having a room with the best acoustics possible if your source, amp, speakers are no good.
No point having a killer set of speakers and amp in a acoustically untreated room with hardwood floors or mirror walls.
No point having top notch acoustics but a bad amp and/ or bad source...

You get the idea.

Each case will have to be taken on an individual basis. In some situations minimal acoustics might get the job done. Here you can focus on electronics and speakers. In others, putting substantial acoustical treatements might improve the sound more than any other change...

Room:Speakers:Electronics = x:y:z => Your unique needs.

In my case, I live in a rented apartment. So no professional acoustical treatements for me :-( the ratio for me will be

Room:Speakers:Electronics = 0:65:35

Last edited:
S

ScottMayo

Audioholic
My room is 50% of the sound of my system, IMHO. The better the speakers, the more the room matters.

I spent about 50% on the room, but that's that high because I wanted significant soundproofing, which adds up to a lot of sheetrock, a spring mounted ceiling and a LOT of labor. The treatments themselves were a tiny percentage, because I built my own.

C

corey

Senior Audioholic
1) percentage of importance:
I concure with with agarwalro, it's a weakest link kind of thing. The better your equipment & speakers, the more important the room is.

2) percent spent on design & treatment:
Not much. I bought a RS SPL meter, and of course already own a copy of Rives Audio Test CD 2. Replaced curtains with heaver material.

KC23

KC23

Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
Rives is giving away five (5) Rives Audio Test CD 2 this month in our dedicated forum contest.

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Answer the following questions in this contest thread:

Contest Questions:

1. What percentage of importance does the room make in the overall sound quality? (i.e. Amp is 15%, Speakers are 30%, etc.)
  2. In terms of money spent on your system, what percentage was spent on the room including design consult and treatments.
[Read more about the Rives Audio Test CD 2]

Note this contest ends on December 31st 2005. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!
1) 20%

2) $450 (US)

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MrPorterhouse

Audioholic Intern
1)Well, an overwhelming majority of the sound that arrives at your ears does not follow a path directly from the speaker, but rather from the sum total of all the reflections. These reflections are effected by the environment in which you are listening.

I'd say 65% of the sound quaity has to do with the room.

2)I have done little to my room, other than paint. I used Sherwin Williams Super paint in a Satin finish. Then, I hung some curtains over the front bay window to help as traps. Lastly, there are some monster openings which take away some reflections. I really haven't done much, and will need to focus on this if I really want to improve the sound. I guess that's about 5% or less.

M

MikeEckhardt

Audioholic Intern
What percentage of importance does the room make in the overall sound quality? (i.e. Amp is 15%, Speakers are 30%, etc.)

I think acoustics play about 15%, source player (dvd/cd) 35%, Rec. 25%, speakers 25%.

In terms of money spent on your system, what percentage was spent on the room including design consult and treatments.

About 25% of overall cost was put into design and treatments, cabinety etc..

S

steinoch

Junior Audioholic
contest

1) 25%
I have listened to enjoyable home theater systems in rooms that were considered aqustic nightmares soley b/c the components including speakers were top notch; however, I have yet to hear a set of bad speakers improve to an acceptable level with modifications to a room. Though to think the room doesn't play a large roll in the quality of the sound would be a mistake.
In addition, one's answer can depend on the equipment owned. One of my rooms has a Yamaha ysp-1 which I found to be picky when it come to room shape and things on the walls. The wrong room or curtains in the wrong place can eliminate the rear channels completely. In this case I would say 50%.

2) 50% building costs can be expensive

S

s2pdname

Junior Audioholic
1) From what I've read and heard, I would say the room is about 50% of the sound we hear.

2) Sadly, I've spent nothing on the room. However, I do have carpet and big, cushy furniture which helps a little.

xboxweasel

xboxweasel

Full Audioholic
1) According to you webpage and many other reviews that I have read it's got to be high for the room.
speakers - 20%
cables/wiring - 5%
receiver (pre/pro) -15%
amps - 20%
room - 40%

2) 100% of my budget went into the equipment, and 0% into the room itself. My home theater is in my living room. There are many windows and openings. I do not have a dedicated room yet. I do notice weird distortions when I turn up the volume (and I need really loud). It's almost like a reverb. Almost as if the sound waves are fighting each other. Really hurts the ears.

I will, however, keep this in mind when I am looking to purchase my next house. I plan to purchase the house around my HT. Not the other way around. :D

J

JeepFan

Audiophyte
1. I would personally have to say that room impacts about 75% of the overall sound quality. You can have the best speakers and source equipment available, but if the room has lots of standing waves in it, it will defeat the quality of the gear.

2. Unfortunately just moved an so about 0% has gone into my listening areas so far. But I finally have a chance to separate Home Theatre listening from music listening and will be definitely enhancing the music listening room with sound treatment, the room has a noticable ring in it. *S*

B

BobBart

Audioholic
I'd say it accounts for approx 30%.
I haven't made any changes for my room, considering I don't have a dedicated listening room. I'm sure with the right proportions and wall treatments it would add considerably to the listening experience.

SilverMK3

SilverMK3

Audioholic
# What percentage of importance does the room make in the overall sound quality? (i.e. Amp is 15%, Speakers are 30%, etc.)
1. The room size and features dictate what kind of components you should be buying (small, large, bright, warm); it also effects where your components will be placed and can limit certain setups. I'd say you shouldn't spend a penny before considering your room and what would sound best in it. As to assigning a quantitative value to it... I dunno. 50% or more?

In terms of money spent on your system, what percentage was spent on the room including design consult and treatments.
2. Because effective room treatments are so inexpensive and most of us can get away with planning our room without hiring a designer, I'd say less than 1% of my overall budget went to treating my listening room.

It'd be a totally different story if I was building a house from scratch or adding a room to an existing house, then I'd go all out in isolating that room from the rest of the house and making it sound as good as possible. But if I had the budget to do that, my budget for my components would be a lot higher too! :D

V

VolksyGTI

Enthusiast
1) The room is 42.5%;
Speakers are 42.5%;
Rest of the components, 15%.

2) 18% was spent on room acoustics.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned

Hmm, maybe its me but the question is a little lacking to me.
Speaking of the #1 question.
I am wondering how an amp is is going to change the sound in a room from listening at normal levels????
Speaker placement would be a big part in room sound quality. Also diffusers, absorbers (bass traps), general room dimensions, furniture in a room, a EQ, etc.
So in my opinion a amp would be like 2% (if that), speaker placement would be 40%, EQ would be at 80%, other room conditions would be 100%.

#2 question. Fortunately, I have plenty of time on my hand - so design consultation is minimum.
Now treatments on the other hand would play more of a roll here for me.
My room at the moment could seriously use some room treatments.
At the moment - very little has been spent.
Mainly due to, this is a temporary home. It will be sold (asap)
Now, for the new place it will be setup correctly. And just about as much money that needs to be spent - will be spent.
(as long as that figure for room treatments does not go over 2,000)
But then again, in the building stage - normal treatments will be made.
And surely will hit in the 6,000 mark.

I

iciarch

Audiophyte
room

I would say almost 90%
DOn't have a clue about the costs yet

R

rgordonpf

Audiophyte
What percentage of importance does the room make in the overall sound quality? (i.e. Amp is 15%, Speakers are 30%, etc.)

Room = 50%
Speakers = 25%
Equipment = 25%

Room treatments/design consult = 20%

B

bjab

Audiophyte
What percentage of importance does the room make in the overall sound quality? (i.e.

Room = 50%

5%

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis