Enter to Win: Rives Audio Test CD 2

G

gulmer

Enthusiast
I would say the room is 55% of importance in a Home Theater, speakers 25%
and electronics for the rest.
I have spent 0 on room treatment, we live in our Home Theater, and there is no way to add anything to our wall. Our room is very dead from all the furniture.

B

beachbum

Audiophyte
30% for the room
at this time none,
my last room i used home made acoustics, dense fiberglass for fire proofing in corners, ceiling tiles for echo, and it made a big difference, better base, and no echo, i am not fully set up in my new house yet so i am in the room test mode now, running sweeps soon, :)

Matt34

Matt34

I'd say 40% room, 35% speakers, 25% source.

My first house and the HT IS the living room so nothing has been done to help acoustics.......yet.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
1. 50%.
2. less than 5%. Most of my room budget went towards furniture.

M

Mark Caplan

Audiophyte
I use headphones for serious listening, so the room is of no importance to the sound quality. I haven't spent anything specifically to treat the room acoustically, although I prefer a carpeted, nonreveberant room simply because extraneous noises like those caused by foot steps or aircraft passing overhead are diminished.

El Toro

El Toro

Audioholic Intern
I would have to say that the room accounts for about 35% of my set up where as speakers and components would make up about 55% and the rest is accesories for the room.

I haven't added much in the way of treatment other that furniture but am looking to do some minor treatments to take care of my primary and secondary reflections.

M

mnosretep

Audiophyte
1). What percentage of importance does the room make in the overall sound quality? Room = 60 to 70%, gear 30 - 40% (bad acoustics = bad listening experience)

2). In terms of money spent on your system, what percentage was spent on the room including design consult and treatments. Room design is currently at about 10% but expenses are planned which will raise this percentage

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
Rooms, speakers, components

1. I'd say 40% room, 35 speakers, and 25% other components (this should make up 100%, isn't it?). Great room accoustics makes all the difference.
2. As for my audio setup, 0 dollars is put on room treatment and consultants (3 hours searching this forum). I got cheap components and speakers (sony all around). All i do now is rearranging the positions of my speakers to make it sound best.

Reverberocket

Reverberocket

Enthusiast
I'm going with the 50-60% estimate.

After recently putting together a stereo system for a friend, and
making a couple speaker upgrade purchases for my own,
I've come to the conclusion the the room effect is likely the most
significant factor in getting good sound quality for stereo systems.
Multi channel setups must have an advantage here since most
processors can adjust speaker level and equalization. Still, an
overly reverberant room could result in poor audio quality.

As far as what percentage was spent on the room including design consult and treatments, unless we include speaker stands (mandatory in my main stereo room), I've spent $0.00. Have spent lots of time moving components & furniture around tho.

"As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll." Mick Shrimpton

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GaryZ06

Junior Audioholic
1. The room is probably 60%....speakers about 30% and gear 10%
2. No money on treatments do to it's my living room.

L

listener

Audiophyte
I see a bit of inconsistency here, with so many postings putting the room importance high but room spend low!

I'd say the room makes up one-third of the total sound performance of a system.

Treatments in my lower level media room include carpet, realtraps at reflection points, heavy drapes on the front wall behind the speakers for absorbtion, and a new side wall at the front of the room for soundstage symmetry (the room was L-shaped, with the L opening to the side of one of the front speakers). I may still need more bass treatment and/or diffusion, but I really need to tune the room now. All my design consult has been DIY, using websites (including Rives), magazines and books, but that has its limits.

So far, my room spend has been about one-fourth of my system budget - but I know it's performance isn't as great as it could be yet.

Last edited:
Ethan Winer

Ethan Winer

Full Audioholic
Guys,

> My goodness. Rives is certainly getting its consumer survey information from this thread. <

No kidding!

> so many postings putting the room importance high but room spend low! <

Yes, it amazes me too. Even more surprising is that the gear lists are mostly not low-budget stuff.

--Ethan

blownrx7

blownrx7

Audioholic
What percentage of importance does the room make in the overall sound quality? (i.e. Amp is 15%, Speakers are 30%, etc.)?
Amp 15%
Pre/Pro 15%
Speakers 50%
Room 20%

The room importance seem to be getting undue attention (hey, does pandering to Rives make my chances of winning any better, if so, change the room percentage to 95%).
Saying a room is 50% of importance (and the rest is 25/25, for instance)doesn't seem realistic. If you spent $3000 on your system, you need to spend $3000 on room treatments???

In terms of money spent on your system, what percentage was spent on the room including design consult and treatments?
Of course I've spent little on room acoustics - ok nothing, YET. There you got it out of me! Now tie me up and beat me with your bass trap;-)
like everyone else...
The reasons are many. You have to be producing sound to figure out what the room needs, so the priority is on the equipment first!
Now that my equipment is settling down I am going the diy route for bass traps/ diffusers/ etc (mostly because I have no money left...):eek:

L

louhamilton

Audioholic Intern
I would say that the following percentages:

40% = room
30% = amp & player
30% = Speakers
10% = content

I have spent $0 on design consult and treatments. I do not have a dedicated room, so it needs to be attractive for all, especially my 2 and 4 years boys.

-Lou

S

Sinsemilla

Audioholic Intern
1. I'd say room is 40%, speakers 30%, source material 20% and everything else the last 10%.

2. Being a 3rd year college student living on my own, I don't really have the money for such things. I do however have wall to wall carpet, and position my couch, bookcases, and other misc stuff as best I can to compensate for room flaws.

R

royw

Audiophyte
1. i believe rooms make up about 25% of the sound. the perfect speakers in a poor room will not sound good, but vice versus the perfect room with distorting speakers will not sound good either.

2. I have spent around 5% of my budget on a little sound absorbtion

H

HiRez1394

Junior Audioholic
1. Honestly, I don't know what percentage to attribute to room acoustics. However, I do recognize it to be a major -- if otherwise overlooked -- acoustical factor in quality sound reproduction.

2. I have not spent any money on treating room acoustics for lack of funds -- not because it is unimportant. As it is, purchasing -- much less upgrading -- electronics is no small financial burden (at least for me), which regretably means that the issue of room acoustics often ends up taking a back seat in entry- to mid-level systems that don't involve a dedicated, custom-designed/installed home theater room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis